DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 12, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,566 of 3,909
Jul 12, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #2,568 of 3,909
Oyaide DST-75R V2 S/PDIF…

No idea about this one but lots of good reviews over on AudioAsylum. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Oyaide+DST-75R+V2&_sacat=293&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

. The Oyaide DST-75R V2 S/PDIF digital coaxial cable features an 18 AWG solid core 102 SSC copper center conductor with "Cordell structure" PE + Teflon insulation to minimize dielectric loss, pure copper dual shielding, and a rhodium over silver plated brass rca connector not unlike a Cardas design.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,570 of 3,909
You're right on the filter, the NOS setting doesn't have those filters. I wouldn't use the fast filter however. Never mind strange graphs, fast filters always interfere with phase purity. The slower the better.

On the bass part, maybe with headphones it's different but I never get that 'slow in the bass' part from a dac. The interaction between amp and speakers, damping factor, speaker filter and woofer effective mass has so much more impact on bass performance, slam and speed that the influence of the dac is insignificant. And even if it did, it would be more likely be on the side of the output stage than the actual DAC. I have no complaints whatsoever in the bass department. Easy for me to say with my Genesis subs. But slam has more to do with upper bass, lower mids than with extension from the dac (5Hz is no problem for a dac,it is for a speaker). Listening to Blue Man Group atm, no probs here... 😋 :cloud_tornado:

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #2,571 of 3,909
You're right on the filter, the NOS setting doesn't have those filters. I wouldn't use the fast filter however. Never mind strange graphs, fast filters always interfere with phase purity. The slower the better.

On the bass part, maybe with headphones it's different but I never get that 'slow in the bass' part from a dac. The interaction between amp and speakers, damping factor, speaker filter and woofer effective mass has so much more impact on bass performance, slam and speed that the influence of the dac is insignificant. And even if it did, it would be more likely be on the side of the output stage than the actual DAC. I have no complaints whatsoever in the bass department. Easy for me to say with my Genesis subs. But slam has more to do with upper bass, lower mids than with extension from the dac (5Hz is no problem for a dac,it is for a speaker). Listening to Blue Man Group atm, no probs here... 😋 :cloud_tornado:
Listening through my Stax ear speaker system, the NOS without [slow or fast] seems to work well with my estats, even if not exactly pure NOS. 😳

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,572 of 3,909
Listening through my Stax ear speaker system, the NOS without [slow or fast] seems to work well with my estats, even if not exactly pure NOS. 😳
same here, I do not even do OS in the software either... plain red book sounds great here, once your brain gets used to it.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,574 of 3,909
Did anyone pair the ares 2 with the Denafrips iris? Specifically for headphone usage, is it worth it?
I'd go for a KTE SU-2 which is a custom modified/supercharged Singxer SU-2 from Kitsune.

At least you can have an upgrade path by purchasing an over seas After Dark external 10mhz clock. That setup would certainly trump the Iris with no upgrade path.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #2,575 of 3,909
Happy to receive my Ares II. I have a quick question though: I read in the manual that to go to NOS, I press the Mute button, and then Opt 1 button to light it up which means it is in NOS mode. When I do that, the Opt1 and CO 1 lights come on. But after a while, the lights go off. Is that within expectations?

Thanks! Apologies but the manual does not actually say if they should remain on. :)

AE7AE047-06E6-42CD-8D20-7B7860A0D937.jpeg

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,576 of 3,909
Happy to receive my Ares II. I have a quick question though: I read in the manual that to go to NOS, I press the Mute button, and then Opt 1 button to light it up which means it is in NOS mode. When I do that, the Opt1 and CO 1 lights come on. But after a while, the lights go off. Is that within expectations?

Thanks! Apologies but the manual does not actually say if they should remain on. :)

AE7AE047-06E6-42CD-8D20-7B7860A0D937.jpeg
Yep that's how it works.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #2,577 of 3,909
Jul 24, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,578 of 3,909
Listening through Mjolnir Carbon and Stax SR007 Mk2, NOS sounds good... :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,579 of 3,909
Spent the entire afternoon and most of the evening so far stuck to my Stax rig. I took the plunge on the Ares II because I have been happily using my Luxury & Precision P6 Pro and LP6 DAPs as USB DAC and LO into my desktop rig, with much joy. I grew up around tubes and before R2R DACs became obsolete in mainstream music gear. Anyway, this sound signature takes me further down memory lane and nostalgia. With USB DAC from my M1 Mac Mini and desktop power from Isotek EVO3 Aquarius, there is something to be said for a desktop R2R DAC. Happy. Very happy. :beyersmile:

59AEF82B-38DC-4E79-B4E9-25ADABA782CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,580 of 3,909
20210724_205635.jpg

My Ares II unit finally arrived, it sounds great with my Feliks Echo.

I am still unsure if I want to invest in a DDC yet(don't what I am missing out if I don't know know what I am missing :wink:), but so far being directly fed in by my desktop pc through USB, the Ares II sounds fantastic.

Strangely, for some reason I can't explain, the denafrip's driver seem to be affected by topping's, I had to uninstall topping's to get it to work, anyone else ever faced that issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back