DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 24, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,582 of 3,927
The topping driver should not be affecting the Denafrips as it does not affect mine. Did you reboot the computer?
Yep, I immediately rebooted upon prompted by the denafrips installation I believe

Problem seems to be gone regardless (since the topping's was uninstalled)

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,584 of 3,927
Yes, driver versions can use conflicting DLL's. Install an older version first, then update the other device which comes with the newer XMOS version. It may not work, but usually upward compatibility is preserved.

If both devices are needed in the same time, uninstall both drivers and use built-in UAC2.0 driver.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #2,585 of 3,927
Spent the entire afternoon and most of the evening so far stuck to my Stax rig. I took the plunge on the Ares II because I have been happily using my Luxury & Precision P6 Pro and LP6 DAPs as USB DAC and LO into my desktop rig, with much joy. I grew up around tubes and before R2R DACs became obsolete in mainstream music gear. Anyway, this sound signature takes me further down memory lane and nostalgia. With USB DAC from my M1 Mac Mini and desktop power from Isotek EVO3 Aquarius, there is something to be said for a desktop R2R DAC. Happy. Very happy. :beyersmile:

59AEF82B-38DC-4E79-B4E9-25ADABA782CF.jpeg
no mac issues with your ares? what version is the firmware? if you plug it and then unplug it, any problem?

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,586 of 3,927
no mac issues with your ares? what version is the firmware? if you plug it and then unplug it, any problem?

What sort of issues? V3.4.1 according to the Vinshine website. Had plugged and unplugged yesterday when first setting it up with power on etc. Before I realised I had to set input to USB after I had set it to NOS. Came on nicely from standby this morning. Am now listening on Roon.

D2810E91-AE5E-4CE4-8AD9-37C3AA55C482.png

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,587 of 3,927
Thanks. Mine gives no computer issues when I connect it to the regular USB 3.0 hub, which is connected to the external display, that is connected to the macbook. Like that works without issues. But if I plug it directly to the macbook, or to the wired keyboard and the keyboard to the macbook, sounds so much better, at least to the keyboard. It acts like a usb 2.0 hub, and sounds so much more holographic and 3d, and a clean full detailed bass. Before it was the typical computer audio sound...

Now, if I press any button on the dac, I gotta restart the mac, it gets locked.

Jul 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,588 of 3,927
Switched from the Stax rig. Listening on Apple Music on the M1 Mac Mini, controlled by the iTunes Remote. M1 Mac Mini > Denafrips Ares II > Cavalli Liquid Gold > Abyss 1266. Relaxed listening before another manic week ahead… :)
0A8492CA-D493-4637-902D-9BDEA904BE3C.jpeg
18287902-FB30-42A7-9220-048240E316F4.jpeg

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #2,590 of 3,927
Not that you asked me, but I thought is has been too long since I played some vinyl. That does sound better. Always has, depending on the recording, mastering, pressing etc. of course. It just puts on an extra layer of ease, naturalness, spaciousness. I played Anna Calvi on lp and I just floated away in space. With the Ares it was quieter but also a bit more restrained, polite. Just a bit less lively, less real. In defense, it was only 16-44. And my cartridge alone costs a multiple of the Ares. I wouldn't recommend listening with headphones either because that would bring out the noise and reduce spaciousness.

So there is still room for improvement.

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #2,591 of 3,927
Where do you rank Ares II compared to your other sources?
Hmm… I think it is a great source. Brings the desktop R2R presentation to the table. I can say that it stands its ground against my other dedicated DAC, the Bricasti M1 in terms of enjoyment. Though of course, the latter is almost 10 years old now and I am sure there has been so much progress in this space. The reason I had picked the Bricasti all those years ago to replace my Benchmark DAC was because I wanted something more natural and relaxed.

Insofar as the R2R DAPs which I use LO from prior to the arrival of the Ares II, the Ares II has the advantage of desktop power through good power cable and being routed through a good power conditioner. The two DAPs are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but that is the price you pay for all the work that goes into miniaturisation. Especially the LP6 where the designers wanted to squeeze a desktop player and DAC into a small box. Very versatile DAPs, excellent sonics and very good sources, but you pay the premium for the portability and size. :)

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #2,592 of 3,927
Recently got my Ares ii and I'm really enjoying it.

Just curious if anyone is using the DSD1024 capabilities of the dac. If so, which software are you using?

I'm using Jriver, but it is limited to DSD512 (8x).

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,593 of 3,927
Recently got my Ares ii and I'm really enjoying it.

Just curious if anyone is using the DSD1024 capabilities of the dac. If so, which software are you using?

I'm using Jriver, but it is limited to DSD512 (8x).
HQPlayer can use it and even supports DSD2048.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #2,594 of 3,927
Yes, driver versions can use conflicting DLL's. Install an older version first, then update the other device which comes with the newer XMOS version. It may not work, but usually upward compatibility is preserved.

If both devices are needed in the same time, uninstall both drivers and use built-in UAC2.0 driver.
Here is a simple fix & yes this also works for AMD update driver conflict issues as well: https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases very simple install, run Rapr scroll down to Sound, Video & Game Controllers then manually check for older versions, click & delete driver.
(Or easy method right side "select old drivers" then "delete drivers"). It does the same thing Microsoft autoruns program does but its more idiot proof/safe.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back