DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 17, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2,597 of 3,927
There is a new review of Ares II and measurements released just two days ago. Measurements confirm @GoldenOne finding that Ares II is not a true NOS. As usual his interpretation is flawed, Ares II is oversampling 44.1kHz source 16x, not 32x he claimed. The same target frequency as in OS mode. An identical conclusion is made on the other forum when investigating Terminator NOS. Pity it happened so late, quality of reporting definitely sucks.

Aside of a thorough investigation of a fake Denafrips NOS mode which is absolutely convincig, it is a very good set of measurements showing a quality of power supply and a ladder linearity compensation method, enjoy.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,598 of 3,927
There is a new review of Ares II and measurements released just two days ago. Measurements confirm @GoldenOne finding that Ares II is not a true NOS. As usual his interpretation is flawed, Ares II is oversampling 44.1kHz source 16x, not 32x he claimed. The same target frequency as in OS mode. An identical conclusion is made on the other forum when investigating Terminator NOS. Pity it happened so late, quality of reporting definitely sucks.

Aside of a thorough investigation of a fake Denafrips NOS mode which is absolutely convincig, it is a very good set of measurements showing a quality of power supply and a ladder linearity compensation method, enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that review/measurements link....very interesting read. Yeah on the other forum GoldenOne still affirms its still one of the better measuring DACS for and R2R.

Even if the consensus ends up that it is a fake NOS mode, it still does a pretty damn good job. I wonder if any one at Denafrips/Vinshine would ever respond to this. That would be an interesting continued discourse from them. Especially since the Terminator price point is very high - that in that tier, it would (or should) warrant what would be true NOS implementation, or if the (psudo NOS) manner is just what is determined to be the Denafrips house sound carried throughout the line.

At the end of the day, users and reviewers alike still generally like what they hear. Fortunately, I don't get bothered by fake sine waves and such (at least at the ares 2's price point).

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,599 of 3,927
Sure, very good value indeed if someone is not looking for NOS.

Strictly speaking it is not a fake NOS, it is a classic OS, implemented in a primitive old-fasioned way. Fake NOS is in Holo Audio DAC's, as they put lot of efforts to hide a presence of digital filtering in their NOS mode. How they did it in details is still unknown, lets hope it will came to the light soon. But they seem to target current Delta-Sigma users, it sounds more similar too.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,600 of 3,927
Sure, very good value indeed if someone is not looking for NOS.

Strictly speaking it is not a fake NOS, it is a classic OS, implemented in a primitive old-fasioned way. Fake NOS is in Holo Audio DAC's, as they put lot of efforts to hide a presence of digital filtering in their NOS mode. How they did it in details is still unknown, lets hope it will came to the light soon. But they seem to target current Delta-Sigma users, it sounds more similar too.
Instead of repeatedly making all these silly accusations it would be great if you could actually provide ANY evidence whatsoever as you were asked to do so repeatedly in the other thread.

Holo does not do OS in NOS mode.
When using OS, it utilises the AKM upsampling chip. When in NOS, the AKM chip is not in the signal path. And in fact the spring 3 doesn't even have it at all.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,601 of 3,927
Instead of repeatedly making all these silly accusations it would be great if you could actually provide ANY evidence whatsoever as you were asked to do so repeatedly in the other thread.

You talk like you know more than others, so please read carefully what I wrote.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,602 of 3,927
Aug 18, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #2,604 of 3,927
Your reply has nothing to do what I wrote. Better do not reply if you can't read.
You said that holo does not actually do NOS.
I said that you were making a silly accusation as you did in the other thread and refusing to provide any evidence or justification for it

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,605 of 3,927
You said that holo does not actually do NOS.
That's correct.
And you say:
I didn't say it does OS, but I explained briefly what HoloAudio really does in so called NOS mode and why it cannot be called NOS, but you can't read. It is like goose talking to a pig, no communication, just making a noise.

Instead reading carefully you started accusing me of repeatedly making silly accusations.

Your friendly pig.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #2,607 of 3,927
My Ares II is here! Now is time to burn in...
20210820_090254_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back