DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,431 of 3,909
I'm a bit confused with all this DDC talk. I understand that there's benefits to be had if you're using USB but what about someone who's using coax from a streamer (Bluesound Node 2 in my case) to the Ares II?

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,432 of 3,909
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3M16C1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_Y9BTWWFE24MFSGWBVW0A

I don't know how audio approved it is, but I put the effort to find a USB 2.0 device.

My hope is that when my psu arrives, I will power my devices with the psu and injector cables instead of the hub. But the hub will allow me to connect multiple USB sources to my F-1.
Not sure. It doesn't say it has multiple transaction translators (MTT), which means it is good for a single device. Besides, it is better to separate sources grounds with individual hubs.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,433 of 3,909
The $200 Singxer F-1 is your poor man's DDC, perfect for the Ares. You are paying only for coax output, which is all your Ares can handle anyway.

I can't fully convey how much better the Ares sounds with it; it takes everything the Ares does well, and bumps it up 2 notches (11 notches? 😉)

Keep in mind my F-1 is not even fully burned in yet, let alone it is still powered by my crappy Microsoft Surface usb out until my Breeze linear power supply gets here.

But that said, Amazon will deliver my powered USB 2.0 hub today - I am eager to hear what improvements it may make.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3M16C1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_Y9BTWWFE24MFSGWBVW0A

I don't know how audio approved it is, but I put the effort to find a USB 2.0 device.

My hope is that when my psu arrives, I will power my devices with the psu and injector cables instead of the hub. But the hub will allow me to connect multiple USB sources to my F-1.
Maybe we could agree on setting that Singxer F-1 as the best usb cleaner for the Ares in a circa 200$/€ category. The poor man solution would be the aforementioned cheap usb 2.0 hub, with a separate power supply, linear if possible maybe... that would be the poor man thing, gotta set a price for such category, say 50$/€. So, what is in the market for around 100$/€ would be interesting. I wonder if there is already a thread for that chinese box, with double clock inside.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...i2s-aes-2x-tcxo-otg-24bit-192khz-p-10547.html

Anyone has experience with one of these?? based around Xmos 208 chip... Seems that coaxial connector is output.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,434 of 3,909
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,435 of 3,909
Maybe we could agree on setting that Singxer F-1 as the best usb cleaner for the Ares in a circa 200$/€ category. The poor man solution would be the aforementioned cheap usb 2.0 hub, with a separate power supply, linear if possible maybe... that would be the poor man thing, gotta set a price for such category, say 50$/€. So, what is in the market for around 100$/€ would be interesting. I wonder if there is already a thread for that chinese box, with double clock inside.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...i2s-aes-2x-tcxo-otg-24bit-192khz-p-10547.html

Anyone has experience with one of these?? based around Xmos 208 chip... Seems that coaxial connector is output.
Note that your Audiophonics unit also has TCXO crystal clocks, which are the essence of what you are paying for. Unfortunately, they are considered the least desirable clocks vs Accusilicon or Crystek (depending who you talk with, one or the other is the top choice). The F-1 in contrast has Crystek.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,436 of 3,909
ok, so the audiophonics thing is pure crap basically, got you, good to know!! Has anyone confirmed this via ear time, or we do like Amir?

If we can confirm the 100$ this is BS, then 200$ doesnt look that bad. Question: what happens if we put one of these fancy DDC to say a topping E30? maybe it sounds less edgy?

UPDATE: What would be the advantages of say a Singxer SU-1, or the newer SU-2 over the F1? those are just couple hundred more... can one of those SU-1 or 2 drive 2 DAC's at the same time? say one via coax, the other one via optical, so the two dacs play at the same time, from the same USB cable, so i can switch with the preamp between my delta sigma dac and my r2r dac, and do A/B switching in real time... is this possible or only in my dreams?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #2,437 of 3,909
ok, so the audiophonics thing is pure crap basically, got you, good to know!! Has anyone confirmed this via ear time, or we do like Amir?

If we can confirm the 100$ this is BS, then 200$ doesnt look that bad. Question: what happens if we put one of these fancy DDC to say a topping E30? maybe it sounds less edgy?
I can't say the $100 unit is crap - I haven't heard it. In fact the Audio G-d DDC uses the TX clocks for their base version. I was actually considering the same unit as you until I went a bit deeper down the rabbit hole.

From reading on this and other forums, some of the budget units are not considered bad - eg, Breeze, etc. They just conclusively are not considered as good as the F-1.

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,439 of 3,909
It was posted already, not sure in this section:

Douk Audio U2. It claims a quality regulator, OS-CON/Panasonic FC caps, but there are three versions, not sure whether the cheapest one comes with. Standard version comes with SCTF, standard type, but not bad quality. Note of a professional quality isolation transformer for COAX. The other page of the same store give a link to the ebay, where you can purchase TXCO or Crystek version, but it goes expensive. I would rather get a standard version and perform $30 upgrade to the Crystek oscilators myself.

There is also a funny model U2 Mini sans I2S, but I don't recommend it due to the more leaking isolator (inside a socket) and a cost is the same.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,440 of 3,909

Douk Audio U2. It claims a quality regulator, OS-CON/Panasonic FC caps, but there are three versions, not sure whether the cheapest one comes with. Standard version comes with SCTF, standard type, but not bad quality. Note of a professional quality isolation transformer for COAX. The other page of the same store give a link to the ebay, where you can purchase TXCO or Crystek version, but it goes expensive. I would rather get a standard version and perform $30 upgrade to the Crystek oscilators myself.

There is also a funny model U2 Mini sans I2S, but I don't recommend it due to the more leaking isolator (inside a socket) and a cost is the same.
That is a very nice looking unit, with 5V input, so it is much smaller and you can use either a proper linear PSU or a cheap one, or use your existing PSU, great! Question would be if it makes an improvement, and how much each version... top one is 190$, cheapest 40$, medium 85$ and has those golden clocks already mentioned as not the best really... Very interesting little piece. This I would call it a decent poor man DDC, if it works at least half good, not? Do you think such a little guy can improve an Ares2 or a regular delta sigma thing? I wonder if it can output simultaneously by coax and optical...

Would this bring the Ares to max performance or will I want to rather get a singxer f1 or SU2... Su2 looks amazing, but, will that be finally the end, no more boxes need, or will I want to get yet another box... it's really an endless rabbit hole like with bikes or espresso, the sky is the limit... Anyhow, considering for an Ares the I2S will not be used... this thing still has it, for the future, I think the 40$ version of the other one of 85$, if they can provide a better source to the dac...

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 01.40.19.jpgScreenshot 2021-06-23 at 01.40.39.jpgScreenshot 2021-06-23 at 01.40.04.jpgScreenshot 2021-06-23 at 01.39.54.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,441 of 3,909
Argh, this thread got me to try out the Singxer F1. I'm still a little skeptical of DDCs but I know coaxial sounds better than USB, usually. However, that's not an option with a computer. Anyways, the F1 is really basic it seems. It has a USB in and a coaxial out, and... I guess it runs on bus power?

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,442 of 3,909
258€ shipped here singxer su-1, new. Is that one better than F1? it looks like it.

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #2,443 of 3,909
258€ shipped here singxer su-1, new. Is that one better than F1? it looks like it.
Yes - it is better, and there is a whole modding upgrade path for it.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #2,444 of 3,909
I'm a bit confused with all this DDC talk. I understand that there's benefits to be had if you're using USB but what about someone who's using coax from a streamer (Bluesound Node 2 in my case) to the Ares II?
The issue with the Node 2i is that it has an average switching power supply internally. This has been known to be the weakness of that product. This is where 3rd party LPS units can be swapped to improve SQ.

I would assume other slightly more expensive music streamers with built in LPS would outperform the Node 2i sonically.

I do not own the Node 2i but I'm so tempted to test one. Feeding the node 2i coax into the "CD" coax input on my Mutec DDC. I am speculating that it would be a fantastic user interface / sonic performer to many 2-4 grand non reclocking, music streamers.

Ideally the new version Node 2i will have usb music stream output unlike the older version. USB can possibly be a better setup for me as it would have Galvanic isolation to block the noise of the adequate switching power supply. Silly the Bluesound didn't just increase the price a tad and install a better LPS power supply. People just love the Bluesound interface.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,445 of 3,909

Wouldn't any decent coax have some implementation of a high quality xformer?

All this talk of DDC is great awareness. Talking about TXCO ......my Silent Angel N8 audiofile grade Ethernet switch uses that type of clock. Yes....I'm also redundant in using two Silent Angel n8 ethernet switches (with Forester F1 LPS dc feed) as a reclocking of ethernet signal. Before people start talking about a standard in ethernet error correction.......I have done ABX blindfolded tests with NO verbal communication to my "test subjects" and the difference was consistent in how things suddenly becomes more refined. Comparing wifi and even my cheap dlink ethernet switch degraded the SQ. Both my 2 channel hifi and even my apple 4k tv on my adequate Denon 9.2 channel AVR driving Kef R300 bookshelf speakers improved in detail using such an audiograde ethernet switch. I was floored as I did all of this geek fun tests ABX blind folded hearing tests.

That Douk Audio sounds like a neat device.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back