DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,876 of 3,909
Yes, there is R-1 ($850) with I2S, recently upgraded to 2021 version, good choice for those who already have a good pre-amp with a headamp. It can be paired with DI-20HE for the best separation from PC noise. It is on the market over one year and I didn't see users unhappy from this combination. When upgrading from my R2R-11 I would rather chose R-28 which has a headphone apmlifier with pre-amp. More high-end solutions are with Master 9 amp, but I am afraid, I will never afford it.

On the Denafrips side there is Pontus that has I2S for connecting to the DDC devices like DI-20, Iris, Gaia.
I get my Pontus at the end of the month, I’ll let you know. 🗿

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,877 of 3,909
@sajunky @gimmeheadroom the other one I'm considering is the MHDT Orchid. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to order any of the Audio-GD stuff. Definitely open to suggestions.
You just email Kingwa at the email address shown on the site. His English is almost as bad as my Chinese but he is a good guy and will set up any tweaks you want and give you a bottom line price on the gear you're asking about.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #1,878 of 3,909
Yes, there is R-1 ($850) with I2S, recently upgraded to 2021 version, good choice for those who already have a good pre-amp with a headamp. It can be paired with DI-20HE for the best separation from PC noise. It is on the market over one year and I didn't see users unhappy from this combination. When upgrading from my R2R-11 I would rather chose R-28 which has a headphone apmlifier with pre-amp. More high-end solutions are with Master 9 amp, but I am afraid, I will never afford it.

On the Denafrips side there is Pontus that has I2S for connecting to the DDC devices like DI-20, Iris, Gaia.

Those Audio GD guys need to invest in some web design. There's no way I'm putting my CC information in that website. Maybe I need to grow a pair, but it seriously looks like a sketchy operation based on their web presence.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,879 of 3,909
Those Audio GD guys need to invest in some web design. There's no way I'm putting my CC information in that website. Maybe I need to grow a pair, but it seriously looks like a sketchy operation based on their web presence.
Clearly all the money goes into R&D and manufacturing, agreed the website is kind of a horror show. But they're definitely good guys.

I think they send you a paypal invoice if you want to pay that way. I didn't put anything into a website form except maybe the initial query.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #1,880 of 3,909
Clearly all the money goes into R&D and manufacturing, agreed the website is kind of a horror show. But they're definitely good guys.
I did exchange Emails with Mr Kingwa, he is a HiFi enthusiast, amoung the entire team. His advice is difficult to understand at times, but trully honest, disregarding possible benefits from sales.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,881 of 3,909

I think they send you a paypal invoice if you want to pay that way. I didn't put anything into a website form except maybe the initial query.

that’s good to know, but between Wordpress and Squarespace getting a legit website these days isn’t rocket science. Maybe he’ll trade me some gear for a website.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,882 of 3,909
Thanks for the reply! A lot of people seem to love the Bifrost 2 with the LP.
The Violectric V220 is my favourite amp and I would like to eventually upgrade to the V280 or the V281.

Here in Canada my landed cost is:
Ares II is $1,025.00, plus tax (15%) with 3 yr warranty, I believe. And I am certainly not going to ship back to Singapore for repair, so...

BF2 is $975.00, plus tax with a 5yr warranty and upgradeability

I SO wish I could actually hear both, but that is not an option.

I don't own the denafrips but still feel like replying--inspired by your mention of the V281 (my best & favorite amp).

After years of using various delta-sigma DACs (medium price at best, not SOTA designs), I tired of familiar digital nasties that seemed present to some degree no matter whihc powered speakers & headphone amp/headphone combinations I tried (bright/aggressive upper mids/lower trebles; sibilance in vocals; overly dry, 2D bass, etc). So starting about 4 yrs ago I got a NOS DAC (Audio GD NOS 19, since sold); then a multibit DAC (Audio GD DAC-19); then another NOS DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid). Now I use the multibit in my side-system (HP only) and the NOS in my main system (HP amps, preamp, class D amp, passive monitors, sub).

Through the years of different DACs, I've had many different amps & headphones in the 2 systems. Here's what I've concluded:
  • Rather than thinking of a specific NOS or multibit DAC as an ideal (or less than ideal) match for a particular HP amp or headphone...think of it as an ideal (or less than ideal) match for any/every amp/headphone, as well as speakers. In other words, as a system match for any gear you may own in future, not just a match for a current device
  • I've had as many as 8 headphone amps at a given time (currently it's 6, all different designs & power ratings). None of my amps need help to get tonality right; they sound very good to begin with. So w/NOS and multibit DACs driving them, they still sound good in the same ways as before--but absent some of those digital excesses that used to bleed through (however slightly) with d/s DACs. It's not as if my NOS & multibit DAC are transforming my ugly duckling amps into sonic swans...it's more like these amps have a little more sonic upside than before.
  • Similarly, my various headphones need no help with tonality. I chose each because its voicing pleased me. But w/a NOS or multibit DAC driving them, they sound like they always did, but not dragged down in minor sonic ways I associate with delta-sigma DACs (again, a little more sonic upside).
I have a ~ 1 dozen .wav files I've used for years to audition HPs & amps. A couple cuts were borderline bright & shouty on the source CD (though not at all on source vinyl). When I used d/s DACs, I always heard the borderline brightness/shoutiness to at least some degree, though it varied (not all d/s DACs sound alike). But w/NOS and multibit DACs, I am rarely aware of the brightness/shoutiness unless I happen to be using a borrowed headphone that itself is borderline bright. Instead what I hear is a couple dynamic, exciting examples of popular genres.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,883 of 3,909
that’s good to know, but between Wordpress and Squarespace getting a legit website these days isn’t rocket science. Maybe he’ll trade me some gear for a website.
When having problem understanding home website, I go this website, the European dealer who also offers good service, BTW.
https://magnahifi.com/brand/audio-gd/

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,884 of 3,909
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,885 of 3,909
I don't own the denafrips but still feel like replying--inspired by your mention of the V281 (my best & favorite amp).

After years of using various delta-sigma DACs (medium price at best, not SOTA designs), I tired of familiar digital nasties that seemed present to some degree no matter whihc powered speakers & headphone amp/headphone combinations I tried (bright/aggressive upper mids/lower trebles; sibilance in vocals; overly dry, 2D bass, etc). So starting about 4 yrs ago I got a NOS DAC (Audio GD NOS 19, since sold); then a multibit DAC (Audio GD DAC-19); then another NOS DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid). Now I use the multibit in my side-system (HP only) and the NOS in my main system (HP amps, preamp, class D amp, passive monitors, sub).

Through the years of different DACs, I've had many different amps & headphones in the 2 systems. Here's what I've concluded:
  • Rather than thinking of a specific NOS or multibit DAC as an ideal (or less than ideal) match for a particular HP amp or headphone...think of it as an ideal (or less than ideal) match for any/every amp/headphone, as well as speakers. In other words, as a system match for any gear you may own in future, not just a match for a current device
  • I've had as many as 8 headphone amps at a given time (currently it's 6, all different designs & power ratings). None of my amps need help to get tonality right; they sound very good to begin with. So w/NOS and multibit DACs driving them, they still sound good in the same ways as before--but absent some of those digital excesses that used to bleed through (however slightly) with d/s DACs. It's not as if my NOS & multibit DAC are transforming my ugly duckling amps into sonic swans...it's more like these amps have a little more sonic upside than before.
  • Similarly, my various headphones need no help with tonality. I chose each because its voicing pleased me. But w/a NOS or multibit DAC driving them, they sound like they always did, but not dragged down in minor sonic ways I associate with delta-sigma DACs (again, a little more sonic upside).
I have a ~ 1 dozen .wav files I've used for years to audition HPs & amps. A couple cuts were borderline bright & shouty on the source CD (though not at all on source vinyl). When I used d/s DACs, I always heard the borderline brightness/shoutiness to at least some degree, though it varied (not all d/s DACs sound alike). But w/NOS and multibit DACs, I am rarely aware of the brightness/shoutiness unless I happen to be using a borrowed headphone that itself is borderline bright. Instead what I hear is a couple dynamic, exciting examples of popular genres.

can you explain your experience using a high end dac with powered monitors. Granted my monitors are far from TOTL, but I found that the way the monitors use DSP to achieve a flat FR killed the benefits of using a nice DAC. It seemed like there was additional AD/DA happening in the monitor and it didn’t so much matter what I put in front of it.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #1,886 of 3,909
can you explain your experience using a high end dac with powered monitors. Granted my monitors are far from TOTL, but I found that the way the monitors use DSP to achieve a flat FR killed the benefits of using a nice DAC. It seemed like there was additional AD/DA happening in the monitor and it didn’t so much matter what I put in front of it.

I used 3 or 4 pairs of powered monitors in my system over the years. None used DSP; none had ADA conversion capability. So nothing beyond the inherent quality of embedded amps/crossover was stopping these powered monitors from conveying relative DAC quality. And frankly that's how I wanted it. I never quite could believe that ADA conversion in a monitor was in my best sonic interests...

I was still using a nice sounding but hardly SOTA powered monitor pair (Swan M200 MKIII's) when I got my first non-d/s DAC, the Audio GD NOS 19. And it was easy to hear that this DAC sounded rather different from the pretty nice-sounding d/s DAC it replaced (Peachtree Audio DAC iTx). It was a worthwhile improvement IMO, and I never went back to d/s digital.

A couple years ago I ditched powered monitors altogether, following one final attempt to get a pair that represented a real sonic upgrade. I was looking for something with real dynamics and punch in the lower mids/upper bass, and none of the powered designs I'd heard really had that. They also didn't really cut in the audiophile sense of sounding much like real music, being able to really scale it up w/o losing composure. My choices were to buy one or more pairs of really expensive, high-end powered studio monitors--or go passive. I chose to go passive.

I picked up a gently used pair of ATCs smallest passive studio monitors, the SCM12 Pro's, and paired them with a nice-sounding class D amp (Wyred4Sound ST-500). Instant audio amazement: this is the most accurate, musical, and powerful 2-way I've ever heard. Also instant audio transparency: the ATCs let all the music through, good, bad & indifferent.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #1,887 of 3,909
Sounds like we’re on a similar path. I’ve been tube rolling the wa22 preamp and should take delivery of a class D purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 next week to power my speakers. The thought being that the amp will get out if the way, I can tune it to taste with the preamp and pair it with a Musical DAC hence my search. Currently using RME ADI-2 but feeling like it’s currently the bottleneck in getting where I want to go.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #1,888 of 3,909
Ohhh okay. Sorry for my subjective and negative terminology.

Also, sorry for stating my personal opinion and impression that I experienced myself.
I didn't mean to criticize you, just make you realise how what you said comes across. Or can. It's very easy to pick up on the wrong words. Someone can pick up on what you said and get the wrong idea.

I think you chose well (dac's) , I was in doubt which one I would choose (bc of mqa) but i decided to act to what I know is right.. I'm funny that way I suppose, I like to act what I preach. Don't make to much of it, we're talking about details here, not the grand plan of things.

Btw, I bought the SMSL DP5 io of the M400 so I can play BT, MQA and all the extras over the Ares II. Still finding out how it works. Lots of options. And an ESS9038pro thrown in as a dac. It's not night and day difference. At first I was a bit bummed that the Ares has no i²S input, but I just figured out I can use USB to connect and get full native DSD. So many options. Atm I'm playing dsd to usb-in on the server that is relaying it DoP to the Ares. Still sounds pretty good but its a bit stupid way of connecting things.

On active monitors... Steve Guttenberg made a video on that recently. Basically you're stuck with one amplifier that you didn't pick or can upgrade. I agree on that. While active filtering sounds appealing it's better to pick good drivers and make as simple a crossover as possible with the best components you can afford. This way the speakers are very scalable. Upgrades in gear will translate into a better performance. It's a good idea though to combine with active subwoofers.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,889 of 3,909
I picked up a gently used pair of ATCs smallest passive studio monitors, the SCM12 Pro's, and paired them with a nice-sounding class D amp (Wyred4Sound ST-500). Instant audio amazement: this is the most accurate, musical, and powerful 2-way I've ever heard. Also instant audio transparency: the ATCs let all the music through, good, bad & indifferent.

Brilliant choice, ATC loudspeakers are astonishing :flag_gb:
I am using a pair of ATC SCM50PSL :)

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,890 of 3,909
Sounds like we’re on a similar path. I’ve been tube rolling the wa22 preamp and should take delivery of a class D purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 next week to power my speakers. The thought being that the amp will get out if the way, I can tune it to taste with the preamp and pair it with a Musical DAC hence my search. Currently using RME ADI-2 but feeling like it’s currently the bottleneck in getting where I want to go.

The WA22 is a real beast. I had one for ~6 months. It was too large & heavy for my desktop (lesson learned).

If you get the right NOS tubes in that amp it'll go the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back