DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Aug 3, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,036 of 3,907
I seem to have endless issues with the Ares, which is really a shame because I love how it sounds. It makes it a pain in the a** to use, though.

Here's the situation: When I turn on my computer, I open JRiver and try to play a song. It get stuck on "Buffering" and hangs. I force close. I try YouTube. YouTube won't play, either. Something is wrong with Windows/the driver. The device is recognized in Playback Devices for Windows. I try to restart the Windows Audio service. It fails to stop the process because it "didn't respond in a timely manner". I restart the computer. I can play music. I turn off the computer when I'm done listening. And repeat this whole thing.

I have no idea what's wrong. I've tried the Denafrips driver, the regular Windows driver, uninstalling the device multiple times, with and without ISO Regen. I've been working on this for over a week, and nothing has fixed it. Does anyone have ANY idea what to do? I love how it sounds, but it's a shame it's so difficult to use (for me). I haven't had this issue with my Bimby, Modi 2 Uber, or Fiio X5 ii (in DAC mode), all of which also worked fine with the ISO Regen.

Any help appreciated. I have it working fine with DSD and 24/384 now which is good at least, but this issue is a huge pain in the behind. If I didn't like the sound so much, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Hi sir, can we arrange a teamview remote session to look into the computer settings ?

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,039 of 3,907
Hi sir, can we arrange a teamview remote session to look into the computer settings ?
Sure, thank you very much! I'll PM you so we don't have to clog the thread up.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #1,040 of 3,907
I seem to have endless issues with the Ares, which is really a shame because I love how it sounds. It makes it a pain in the a** to use, though.

Here's the situation: When I turn on my computer, I open JRiver and try to play a song. It get stuck on "Buffering" and hangs. I force close. I try YouTube. YouTube won't play, either. Something is wrong with Windows/the driver. The device is recognized in Playback Devices for Windows. I try to restart the Windows Audio service. It fails to stop the process because it "didn't respond in a timely manner". I restart the computer. I can play music. I turn off the computer when I'm done listening. And repeat this whole thing.

I have no idea what's wrong. I've tried the Denafrips driver, the regular Windows driver, uninstalling the device multiple times, with and without ISO Regen. I've been working on this for over a week, and nothing has fixed it. Does anyone have ANY idea what to do? I love how it sounds, but it's a shame it's so difficult to use (for me). I haven't had this issue with my Bimby, Modi 2 Uber, or Fiio X5 ii (in DAC mode), all of which also worked fine with the ISO Regen.

Any help appreciated. I have it working fine with DSD and 24/384 now which is good at least, but this issue is a huge pain in the behind. If I didn't like the sound so much, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with ARES. since I don't use JRiver I am throwing some ideas out to you. As mentioned before if you post some screen shots then people who use the software will chime in. Have you adjusted your buffer setting.Considering that other people have used the Ares with Jriver I don't see any reason why it won't work in your setup. What Windoze OS are you using. If you have visualization etc enabled in JR you need to make sure your buffer size is adequate. If you have tried everything on your computer and it does work , the other option is to try the DAC with a different computer. If it still has the same issue then it may be the unit itself.To keep the set up simple my suggestion is to remove the ISO regen out of the equation and uninstall other ASIO drivers that you have installed on the computer and give it a go.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,041 of 3,907
I don't think the issue is with JRiver specifically since Chrome also has issues (and Edge, etc.), so it's not program specific - it's something with the OS (which is Windows 10 Home).

I'll try it with another computer - that's a good idea.

I've tried with and without the ISO Regen - no difference.

I've also tried with different drivers. The one provided by Denafrips and the standard Windows driver both have the same issue, although the standard Windows one is the only one that allows 24/384, so I use that one.
- I've also tried each driver with and without the ISO Regen.

I'll give an update once I've tried on another computer (my laptop, I guess). Thank you for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,042 of 3,907
I mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again.
JRiver wouldn't wouldn't plat DSD64 with my KTE Spring DAC...It only played 352kHz and all of my setting were 100% correct. Afterwards trying to plat any other file format, JRiver MC-21 was all over the place showing the wrong kHz during playback. A fellow H-F member took it upon himself to download JRiver MC-22 being we have the same DDC/DAC and had the same exact issue I did trying to play DSD64. I then downloaded the free Roon trial and the DSD64 played immediately without issue. Don't overlook JRivers software being the issue.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,043 of 3,907
I mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again.
JRiver wouldn't wouldn't plat DSD64 with my KTE Spring DAC...It only played 352kHz and all of my setting were 100% correct. Afterwards trying to plat any other file format, JRiver MC-21 was all over the place showing the wrong kHz during playback. A fellow H-F member took it upon himself to download JRiver MC-22 being we have the same DDC/DAC and had the same exact issue I did trying to play DSD64. I then downloaded the free Roon trial and the DSD64 played immediately without issue. Don't overlook JRivers software being the issue.
I don't doubt that it could be an issue! However, I don't think it's necessarily causing my issue, because it happens when JRiver isn't running after a full restart/cold boot with every program you could think of. Furthermore, it didn't have this issue with my Schiit stuff. I'll look into it, though, because might as well!

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #1,044 of 3,907
JRiver just may not getting along with the Denafrips ARES like it didn't with my Spring. Good luck getting to the bottom of your issue, I know how frustrating this is. I spent 8+hrs trying to figure out what was going on, until the fellow member did what he did for me.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,045 of 3,907
JRiver just may not getting along with the Denafrips ARES like it didn't with my Spring. Good luck getting to the bottom of your issue, I know how frustrating this is. I spent 8+hrs trying to figure out what was going on, until the fellow member did what he did for me.
Thanks !- I'll try uninstalling JRiver and seeing if I can get foobar to work or something, but that'll probably have to wait until the morning. :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #1,046 of 3,907
I do not know your exact issue but everytime I get an update of Win 10 (I am on Insiders Preview), both the Ares driver and my DAC-19 are messed up. So I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and disabling signature verification of Win 10. Both drivers work after doing this.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,047 of 3,907
Aug 8, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,049 of 3,907
Nothing against Massdrop, I would be curious how good their support is if my DAC had issues especially when I don't live in the USA. Personally I would prefer to buy from Vinshine.

*I'm in no way affiliated with Denafrips or vinshine*
IME with MD, if everything is okay then they are okay. When I had one issue with their shipping (their fault) they can have the worst customer service I have dealt with. But if the manufacturer is going to provide after sales service then I don't think there is any problem.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #1,050 of 3,907
I wanted the same but realize they were all OS unless deciding to go for their Terminator model which unfortunately will be well over $4,000 most likely.

I think right now it's a give or take regarding R2R, DSD, NOS, and Linearity implementations. The Holo Audio Spring surprisingly does well on noise with SNR of -126dB for NOS. it's patented linear compensation works great too not to add it's support for DSD using an additional set of R2R ladders.

The Metrum Pavane on the other hand doesn't need to compensate on Linearity loss when it's FPGA solves this issue right off the bat by dividing up MSB (most significant bit) from the LSB (least signicant bit). The smaller signal at low level which would usually cause irregularities no longer becomes an issue. This gives the Pavane a measured SNR down to -145dB. The issue with Metrum however is that like Schiiit, it doesn't play DSD.

Considering it's one or the other at this point in time, it would be nice to see a future R2R NOS DAC that includes FPGA (for non-linearity and digital noise concerns) in which also handles DSD. Considering how Metrum Acoustics now have Transient DAC TWO modules on their new flagship the Adagio which has double the R2R ladder (2x24 bit vs 1x16 bit per module), this time with a built in FPGA (per module) for a shorter signal path, it would be a nice touch to have those ladders support DSD processing.

Looks like Audio GD has everything you want. http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R7/R2R7EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back