DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 22, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #826 of 3,909
My USB out of my window pc as follow:

Ifi idefender( powered by LPS and balance transformer)--USB cable----Musical Paradise MP1-U ( USB regulated Battery Supply ) ---ifi iSilencer---USB cable--ifi ipurifier2(powered by MP-U1)---Singxer F1 ( powered by MP-U1)---Coax cable---ifi ispdif( powered by LPS and balance transformer,same as idefender)--ARES:grinning:

Above chain is most optimized for me:grinning:. 3X power filtration from my Window laptop.

Thanks for sharing Slex!
Your thing is so complicated with so many toys and variables that I hope that some manufacturer comes out with a reasonably priced one or 2 box solution that can challenge the top spinner/dac combos. I´m a believer in shorter signal path so I´m not extremely exited about duplicating something or adding a lot of buffers to correct something that is faulty from the beginning. I´ve compared some expensive and highly regarded pc/usb combos in several hi-fi stores but I´m not extremely enthusiastic about buying and building one. I highly doubt that any of them can touch my SA-1. Maybe only the über machines as Burmester 111?
..........But I´m open to try some decent digital transport to see how much things will change.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
SO ALL DONATIONS FOR MY HOLY EXPERIMENT ARE WELCOME!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You can donate calling:

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #827 of 3,909

My DIY isolation platform. Bamboo Tea Tray filled with xtra fine silica sand:grinning:

Nice!
gs1000.gif

I see that you also use cork. It has great damping properties. For what I studied the trick is to use materials with different densities in layers because every material has it`s own counter-effect for certain vibration frequencies.

I see that you use some heavy steel cones under Ares, but what you use under the platform?

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #828 of 3,909
Nice! :gs1000smile:
I see that you also use cork. It has great damping properties. For what I studied the trick is to use materials with different densities in layers because every material has it`s own counter-effect for certain vibration frequencies.

I see that you use some heavy steel cones under Ares, but what you use under the platform?

Yes X3 steel cones under Ares. cork pads under platform.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #829 of 3,909
Yes X3 steel cones under Ares. cork pads under platform.

I have ebony cones/bases with brass tips under Ares and pre platform. Under my amp and spinner platform I use DIY blocks similar to:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Isoblocks/products/1/

My vibration control thing is quite fresh so I will probably experiment with steel cones and many other tweaks (that won`t break a bank) aswell. So it will be a fun experimenting......
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #830 of 3,909
Can you guys describe a heights of Ares more comlicated? I've translated Mr Pluto review to russian language and put it on dastereo.ru (russian digital audio community forum) - 10 likes at this time. But some users doesn't like this review because of "too many sweet" (as they said) :) Some people talking about heights problem of Ares in Questyle cma800r amp + Beyerdynamic 880 pro setup. One of the users compared Ares with.... Gustard X12 and said "X12 win, because it has more clear and transparent heights".... Heh Heh :) To be honest, i trust my ears and Mr Pluto's review, but please share your experience more complicated, the truth is out there :wink:

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #831 of 3,909
What do you mean by heights? Soundstage height?

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #833 of 3,909
people say Beyerdynamic 880 pro is all treble no bass headphone and is bright. so the guy has to prefer very bright and cold sound.
  Can you guys describe a heights of Ares more comlicated? I've translated Mr Pluto review to russian language and put it on dastereo.ru (russian digital audio community forum) - 10 likes at this time. But some users doesn't like this review because of "too many sweet" (as they said) :) Some people talking about heights problem of Ares in Questyle cma800r amp + Beyerdynamic 880 pro setup. One of the users compared Ares with.... Gustard X12 and said "X12 win, because it has more clear and transparent heights".... Heh Heh :) To be honest, i trust my ears and Mr Pluto's review, but please share your experience more complicated, the truth is out there :wink:

people say Beyerdynamic 880 pro is all treble no bass headphone and is bright. so the guy has to prefer very bright and cold sound.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #834 of 3,909
  Thanks Joseph69!
You have a great setup and interesting rack design also.
gs1000.gif

My pics are a bit old. For now the 11mm granite is gone and every piece incl. Ares has it`s personal isolation platform. I took the time and studied vibration control theories a bit. It seems that despite great mass a plain granite is not the best under components because it reflects some frequencies and tends to ring. My DIY platforms combine different materials in several layers and have oak sides that match my table. If I take the pictures one day I will upload my Ares siting on it`s throne.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You're welcome.
Interesting, I was going to use a piece of granite under my system on my gas fire place, but the weight was just much too heavy…glad I didn't. Thanks for the explanation of the damping material. Look forward to more recent photos.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #835 of 3,909

Hi PitBul34,

The SLIGHTLY velvety character of Ares expands on mid-frequencies and also highs. The highs are not very pronounced and super extended but they are clean, well defined and have all the details. It may not be the best DAC for darker sounding systems that are hungry for emphasized treble but if your speakers and other system are reasonably transparent, it is one sweet listen.
L3000.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #836 of 3,909
I couldn't resit and have just ordered a Terminator!!! 
I'm very happy and exited (-: 

:bigsmile_face:  

I've also just ordered a black Terminator. Will be using with Stax SR009 and also Adam S3X-V monitors. I think I'm going to really like this combo. 10-14 days to ship. Will compare to Phasure NOS1A dac but only from memory as it's sold now.

I'm also going to be going from PC via ethernet to Rednet D16 and then AES into Terminator. Do any Ares users here have any thoughts on the best input with good old Redbook? (I realise AES will only go to 192khx and dsd64).

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #839 of 3,909
I've also just ordered a black Terminator. Will be using with Stax SR009 and also Adam S3X-V monitors. I think I'm going to really like this combo. 10-14 days to ship. Will compare to Phasure NOS1A dac but only from memory as it's sold now.

I'm also going to be going from PC via ethernet to Rednet D16 and then AES into Terminator. Do any Ares users here have any thoughts on the best input with good old Redbook? (I realise AES will only go to 192khx and dsd64).

Great, Paul :):):)

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #840 of 3,909
Mr, Pluto,

I am a new member but have been reading here for years now. Your assessment of the Ares has finally put me over the edge and I will be ordering one. I currently run one of the first introduced budget R2R dacs, the Metrum Octave which I believe I paid about $1000.00 U.S. dollars for about 5 years ago. 

While I haven't seen a comparison between the two I get the feeling from other reviews of other dacs, I have a very good chance of being happy with an Ares dac.

May I ask for just a bit more opinion on how the treble compares to other dacs you have had in your system? One of the issues I have had is harsh top end even with the changing of many amps, pre amps, sources and dacs. So, I'm looking for a dac that can tame that harshness down a bit, but of course still deliver on the rest of the goodness I'm used to hearing. 

And also I'm very exited for you with your happiness torwards your new purchase, That is what this audio journey is all about no matter where we live on this wonderful planet of ours. I happen to live in Seattle WA. and while it is a pretty big city it falls very short in regards to places you can audition and buy good audiophile equipment, very sad really. 

Take Care and enjoy your journey!

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back