DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #331 of 3,907
The OP thinks that the cheaper Ares beats out the Holo Level 1. :D  

From what I have read the holo sounds best when run in NOS mode. It would be interesting to know if the denafrips NOS dac sound the same/different to their OS models.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #332 of 3,907
Mikhail which won? Ares or Sonica:grinning:

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #334 of 3,907
I just ordered the Ares from Vinshine audio, shipping to USA. Will compare with the new Audio-GD Singularity 19 when I receive it. Currently using Soekris DAC1101 which I really like. I'm skeptical if either the Ares or Sing19 can compete with the Soekris. I 'll let you know in a few weeks after I receive and burn them in.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #335 of 3,907
  I just ordered the Ares from Vinshine audio, shipping to USA. Will compare with the new Audio-GD Singularity 19 when I receive it. Currently using Soekris DAC1101 which I really like. I'm skeptical if either the Ares or Sing19 can compete with the Soekris. I 'll let you know in a few weeks after I receive and burn them in.

Congrats!

I ordered mine (also from Vinshine, as posted above) on Saturday. Got the tracking number yesterday. Already shipped from Hong Kong. Via DHL.

I am in US too (Virginia).

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #336 of 3,907
Audio-68,

Congrats!
beerchug.gif

Comparison between 3 different R2R DAC`s would be most interesting. We look forward to hearing from you.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #338 of 3,907

My Soekris dac1101 should arrive in a couple of days. Would love to know how it compares to the Ares.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #340 of 3,907
If anybody is interested, Alvin of Vinshine sent me a link to ARES user manual http://gofile.me/6lsKW/EqUNcyESX

One correction though as advised by Alvin pointed out, the 22 bits mentioned in the manual should actually be 20 bits.

Update: The user manual can now be downloaded from Vinshine ARES download page or click this link.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #341 of 3,907
Got my user manual too.
I'm loving the Denafrips Ares.

One thing I have noted though. I purchased a USB Regen, Curious Regen Link cable, and a Jays Audio LPS 25VA linear power supply optimized to work with the Regen. Hoping that these add ons would maximise performance of the Ares.
They made no difference to sound quality at all. The only improvement made was upgrading my USB cable to the ifi Gemini dual head usb cable. But it was very subtle though.
The Achtung Audio usb cable it replaced is a fine cable.

Says a lot IMO about the quality of the Ares usb implementation.

I'm wondering whether a Singxer SU-1 would be beneficial?

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #342 of 3,907
Got my user manual too.
I'm loving the Denafrips Ares.

One thing I have noted though. I purchased a USB Regen, Curious Regen Link cable, and a Jays Audio LPS 25VA linear power supply optimized to work with the Regen. Hoping that these add ons would maximise performance of the Ares.
They made no difference to sound quality at all. The only improvement made was upgrading my USB cable to the ifi Gemini dual head usb cable. But it was very subtle though.
The Achtung Audio usb cable it replaced is a fine cable.

Says a lot IMO about the quality of the Ares usb implementation.

It seems Denafrips like its USB implementation as Vinshine was asking me to check it but so far I have used coax input only. :grin:

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #343 of 3,907
Usb is using latest xmos208 with kds clock. No singxer necessary.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #345 of 3,907
Thank you. You saved me some money.  :wink:

Welcome.Will be experimenting some USB filters to squeeze out pure data and power and hear whether Ares will sing better:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back