DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 10, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #1,306 of 3,909
p/s: I recommend keeping the DAC on 24/7 for best sound.
...if it just wouldn't consume 4W in stand-by (in comparison only 8W in on state).

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,308 of 3,909
Hey, guys!

Who how prefers to listen - NOS or OS?

And do you hear any differences (and what are these differences expressed?) between the filters Sharp / Slow?
The default is OS I think many leave it on the default

NOS rolls of the high frequencies a bit, some people like that but I believe they are more of a minority

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,314 of 3,909
I got this from Alvin, “Good morning. I prefer NOS most of the time. If I listen to rock music, I use OS and slow filters.”

As from my own experience, I would suggest trying the settings one at a time, first the NOS then OS and see what you like based on the type of music you listen to. Then select the filters to adjust for system corrections. Folks get so hung up what others prefer, but music and systems differ so what works for you might not be dialed in for someone else. Be thankful companies like Denafrips offer these listening options.

I’m pretty sure any selected setting combo position will not produce anything that sounds terrible and likely not make much auditable difference for some systems unless your system is highly resolving. Many YouTube reviews say little to no difference but some seems to think it does. So I’m guessing it’s highly system depended as I said.

I’ll be posting a review soon here on the site as soon as this “stay in place” thing is over and I can get some audio buddies over for a group listen and evaluation consensus.

Till then my many thanks to Alvin of Vinshine Audio.

Dean

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,316 of 3,909
IMHO, NOS is best for acoustic/classical. It does seem more detailed/natural. In my system, rock/electronic/jazz or anything else with strong percussion can be more enjoyable and less fatiguing for longer listening with OS and slow filter. In agreement with Alvin here. It's a little more relaxed, less percussive "punch." The trade-off is a slightly less "realistic" sound, and slightly less open/less wide sound-stage. But for the genres that benefit most from OS/slow filter, soundstage is not the priority that it would be for classical, for example.

The difference between NOS and OS is not tremendous but is definitely there if your system has the resolution to bring this out.

Listening to "Wax Tailor" with the OS/slow filter as I type and it is a nice way to make the listening session a little more chill. However, if your drink is stiff enough, keeping it in NOS might not bug you :sunglasses:

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,317 of 3,909
IMHO, NOS is best for acoustic/classical. It does seem more detailed/natural. In my system, rock/electronic/jazz or anything else with strong percussion can be more enjoyable and less fatiguing for longer listening with OS and slow filter. In agreement with Alvin here. It's a little more relaxed, less percussive "punch." The trade-off is a slightly less "realistic" sound, and slightly less open/less wide sound-stage. But for the genres that benefit most from OS/slow filter, soundstage is not the priority that it would be for classical, for example.

The difference between NOS and OS is not tremendous but is definitely there if your system has the resolution to bring this out.

Listening to "Wax Tailor" with the OS/slow filter as I type and it is a nice way to make the listening session a little more chill. However, if your drink is stiff enough, keeping it in NOS might not bug you :sunglasses:
In NOS there is definitely less expressive 'punch', but I wouldn't call it less realistic, just in reverse. Other than that I fully agree with. I own Audio GD R2R11, so I can only compare with the upsampled material in Foobar2000 with SoX. There is very little difference with a quality upsampling, I may be wrong. This recording I downloaded to assess some previous post, percussion sounds very impressive: https://www.discogs.com/Ahmad-Jamal...ve-At-The-Olympia-June-272012/release/6828962

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back