DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 11, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #753 of 3,907
Why not keep this thread about the Ares only, and owners of Pontus or any other Denafrips model, start their own threads?

NOOOOOO, please don't 
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #755 of 3,907

NOOOOOO, please don't 
biggrin.gif

I agree, without comparisons to other DAC's what have we got, a Fan-Boy thread? 
wink.gif

Once people make it clear what they are talking about then all is good, IMO.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #756 of 3,907
I think given ARES or other Denarips DAC comparison to other DAC (the popular ones) on the market in the same class or a little bit higher class with give other people who own those DACs have a reference point of comparison. For me, its very hard to picture DAC review without any reference DAC (either lower or higher class than ARES). Thank you.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #757 of 3,907

I agree, without comparisons to other DAC's what have we got, a Fan-Boy thread? 
wink.gif

Once people make it clear what they are talking about then all is good, IMO.

I think given ARES or other Denarips DAC comparison to other DAC (the popular ones) on the market in the same class or a little bit higher class with give other people who own those DACs have a reference point of comparison. For me, its very hard to picture DAC review without any reference DAC (either lower or higher class than ARES). Thank you.

If you take the time to read the thread then you can find many comparisons.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #759 of 3,907
Thank you Mr. Pluto. I am so tempted to try the Ares.... though very curious to see how much of improvement it would be comparing to my current DAC the Chord MOJO.

at the 37 pages, someone compared it with mojo.

I try to describe the differences between the Yulong D200, Mojo and Ares.

The comparison was done on a iMac with Audiophonics USB Link on DAC, then to a Abletec ALC0230 Amp and to coaxial DIY speakers (nothing fancy but good quality).

Yulong: has no depth in the soundstage and seems to be very upfront, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed but harsh -> fatiguing. Bass is detailed but not structured.

Mojo: Good depth in the soundstage and seems to be slightly farer away than the Yulong, very musical and seems slightly rolled off. The presentation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is very detailed but still a bit harsh. Bass is detailed a well structured.

Ares: Has a lot of depth in the soundstage and seems 1-2m farer away than the Mojo, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed and very natural -> No fatigue at all. Bass is very detailed and well structured.

I had problems to explain my wife that this DAC should leave the room for the main system :wink:

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #761 of 3,907
Mr. Pluto, I am 4hannons on Audiogon. I have a few things to say about the Ares and Audio GD Singularity 19, I want to start with sharing my raw listening notes with all of you.

Ahmad Jamal "Morning Mist"

Denafrips Ares

At 2:48 the deep bass notes hit hard and fast, each note beginning and ending abruptly and each note felt deeply in my chest.

At 3:18-3:28 (and 4:52-5:06) lots of small percussions happening from the talented Manolo Badrena in background, each drum beat dances in and out of each big piano note forming a deep, complex layer of three dimensional sound.

At 4:45 (and 5:51) the high staccato piano notes can cause lesser dacs to produce a slight shrill/distortion that can really irritate the ear; the Ares handles those notes with clarity and no shrill.

The percussion on this song is amazing, again at 5:40 the three dimensionality is on display with very nuanced and complex drumming.

At 6:58 waaaay in the back I can hear quick wooden cowbell (not sure the instrument) clacks of percussion, very faint but distinct and then a few other faint percussionbut clear percussion instruments until 7:06 set way back

Audio GD S19

At 2:48 the deep bass notes hit hard and fast, exactly like Ares.

At 3:18-3:28 (and 4:52-5:06) lots of nice little percussions but the soundstage seems flatter, not as deep, a nice presentation with a big piano sound, percussion less distinct and a bit more congealed.

At 4:45 (and 5:51) the high staccato piano notes don't phase the Audio GD S19 at all, very natural just like the Ares, clear and no shrill.

The amazing percussion at 5:40 has lost some of the the three dimensionality with Audio GD S19, placement shifts slightly to the left and the drums seem on top of the piano, it's here that the flat sound stage of the Audioi GD is most obvious.

At 6:58 the clacks of percussion have a superb wooden sound, amazingly natural, but the separation and distinction of each sound is not here like in the Ares.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #763 of 3,907
Nope! They are dried Jujubes (Red Dates). The secret to its sweetness.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #764 of 3,907
  Nope! They are dried Jujubes (Red Dates). The secret to its sweetness.

Yes, those lovely sweet ripe dates before wedlock entrapment and diabetes? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back