DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Oct 2, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #3,361 of 3,907
That stack looks awesome! I've long considered an Ares II to replace my Bifrost 2. But I've heard people say they sound very similar. I have the Echo Mk2 myself with the ZMF Aeolus. I'm looking at and Atticus right now for $1,200 used (Canadian). What tubes/risers are you using in that photo and what is the headphone cable?
That's forza audio cable

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #3,363 of 3,907
Anyone's know what's the latest firmware for the Ares 2?

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,368 of 3,907
Could you please explain!? I didn't get it. 🤔😅

Aunt Edit:
Ok, i got it after i've visit the website.

*Enyo. (Greek mythology) Goddess of violent war, acting as a counterpart and companion to the war god Ares.

🤷🏼‍♂️ Either renamed or even a refresh.

Only @alvin1118 could tell us more.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #3,369 of 3,907
What's the verdict on NOS vs OS mode? I just received my ARES 2 and so far I am loving the OS mode. With nos, the vocals sound magnificent with wife sojndtage but the low end sounds muddy and veiled. Is this right? Or am I missing something? This is my first foray into the world of R2R dacs so I could use some suggestion as to how to optimally set it up
You're not wrong. The highs are muddy and the lower midrange seems exaggerated. Been doing my best to give the Ares II a chance, but the integrated dac from my laptop sounds more dynamic, images better, and produces the highs better. I don't get the hype on the Ares II. Got the unit a few days ago and there is no return for denafrips stuff... The thing I feel I'm missing the most when listening to the Ares II is dynamics and I think that's because of the veiled highs. I agree completely with your assessment on NOS vocals. Vocals sound better on NOS than on OS, but I don't know if that's enough to redeem it. Overall I'm pretty disappointed. The hype on this thing is/was crazy.

Edit: It sounds much better after a xlr change and a few days of burn in. I really like the way the Ares sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,370 of 3,907
You're not wrong. The highs are muddy and the lower midrange seems exaggerated. Been doing my best to give the Ares II a chance, but the integrated dac from my laptop sounds more dynamic, images better, and produces the highs better. I don't get the hype on the Ares II. Got the unit a few days ago and there is no return for denafrips stuff... The thing I feel I'm missing the most when listening to the Ares II is dynamics and I think that's because of the veiled highs. I agree completely with your assessment on NOS vocals. Vocals sound better on NOS than on OS, but I don't know if that's enough to redeem it. Overall I'm pretty disappointed. The hype on this thing is/was crazy.
It seems like I get a jist online from reviews that the ares II blows people away with speakers more than headphones. But you’re right, the hype for it was insane. But people like passion for sound prefer the Bifrost over the ares II for headphones which is maybe what you’re realizing.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #3,371 of 3,907
It seems like I get a jist online from reviews that the ares II blows people away with speakers more than headphones. But you’re right, the hype for it was insane. But people like passion for sound prefer the Bifrost over the ares II for headphones which is maybe what you’re realizing.
I'm using it with KEF 104.2 speakers... and a mcintosh amplifier. With occ copper power cords and interconnects.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #3,372 of 3,907
I'm using it with KEF 104.2 speakers... and a mcintosh amplifier. With occ copper power cords and interconnects.
Ah well I tried. The things people pointed to (I don't have it so I'm just going off watching a lot of reviews) is the sound felt natural or like you were really in the room with instruments. So I don't know why it got that much hype if you aren't noticing that. Maybe it needs synergy or perhaps you're used to a more dynamic sound and this is going for more natural and laid back? You might need to adjust to it or want to love that type of sound for it to work.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #3,373 of 3,907
Ah well I tried. The things people pointed to (I don't have it so I'm just going off watching a lot of reviews) is the sound felt natural or like you were really in the room with instruments. So I don't know why it got that much hype if you aren't noticing that. Maybe it needs synergy or perhaps you're used to a more dynamic sound and this is going for more natural and laid back? You might need to adjust to it or want to love that type of sound for it to work.
Vocals do sound natural on NOS mode but the "Ares" sound is coated in a singular haze which hurts the highs and hurts dynamics. Husky female vocals sound even more masculine and the air and highs are lacking. But yeah, I can see if someone's system is extremely resolving and analytical, that the ares II could be something to consider. In my case, I thought it would have been an upgrade from a integrated dac from a generic laptop...

Edit: It sounds much better after a xlr change and a few days of burn in. I really like the way the Ares sounds.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,374 of 3,907
Vocals do sound natural on NOS mode but the "Ares" sound is coated in a singular haze which hurts the highs and hurts dynamics. Husky female vocals sound even more masculine and the air and highs are lacking. But yeah, I can see if someone's system is extremely resolving and analytical, that the ares II could be something to consider. In my case, I thought it would have been an upgrade from a integrated dac from a generic laptop...
I had the 'haze' issue.
My solution was to plug the ares2 I to an electrical outlet that was directly wired into the main panel.
The haze was caused by electrical interference from my PC or some other electrical equipment.

Try plugging the Ares 2 into a seperate electrical outlet, on the same power strip or directly into the outlet to see if that makes a difference.

Nov 4, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #3,375 of 3,907

Honestly, bear with it. My Ares II and Iris DDC sounded absolute crap out of the box. I left them running a Roon stream 24/7 and by the two week mark they started to actually sound quite nice. Four or so weeks on and they offer a really engaging listening experience. Not the last word in detail, but for the price actually a steal IMHO.

And OS Slow is the best filter IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back