DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,391 of 3,907
I thought that Vinshine burned in all units 100 hours before shipping already.

I can’t say I heard a difference on mine after some weeks.

If you find the sound muddy, might it be the nature of R2R you don’t like or have you had other R2Rs to your liking?
I highly doubt that they would spend the time to burn in the device before shipping but either way its not enough.

Considering how the resistors receive electrical signals in various sequences to achieve a specific number, it will take quite a long time for those resistors to see enough current to fully burn in. Its not like they're receiving constant current at each resistor.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,392 of 3,907
I thought that Vinshine burned in all units 100 hours before shipping already.

I can’t say I heard a difference on mine after some weeks.

If you find the sound muddy, might it be the nature of R2R you don’t like or have you had other R2Rs to your liking?
I have also heard that they burn in their dacs for 100 hours before shipping.
I hope there will be a difference as time goes on.
I loved the sound of all of my R2R dac's that I've listened to. I will not list them here, because that would seem inappropriate on a Denafrips thread with my less than favorable initial impressions.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,393 of 3,907
I highly doubt that they would spend the time to burn in the device before shipping but either way its not enough.

Considering how the resistors receive electrical signals in various sequences to achieve a specific number, it will take quite a long time for those resistors to see enough current to fully burn in. Its not like they're receiving constant current at each resistor.
Fair enough, 100 hours may not be enough for a r2r ladder dac.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,394 of 3,907

Hi, so they do burn the ares in at the factory it is in one of their youtube videos. Also burn in is just having it 'on' and at least in standby for 2 weeks, it does not have to process signal.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #3,395 of 3,907
Hi, so they do burn the ares in at the factory it is in one of their youtube videos. Also burn in is just having it 'on' and at least in standby for 2 weeks, it does not have to process signal.
All of the resistors highlighted in the red box need to see electrical current for a certain amount of time. With the device only on standby and no audio signal, it won't see any current as it needs an audio signal to process the sound.

They light up in various combinations to achieve a specific number to process the sound.

If they are only leaving it on standby its only burning in the power supply and not the r2r ladder dac resistors.

denafrips-ares-II-2.jpg

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3,396 of 3,907
All of the resistors highlighted in the red box need to see electrical current for a certain amount of time. With the device only on standby and no audio signal, it won't see any current as it needs an audio signal to process the sound.

They light up in various combinations to achieve a specific number to process the sound.

If they are only leaving it on standby its only burning in the power supply and not the r2r ladder dac resistors.

denafrips-ares-II-2.jpg
So what actually happens to a resistor during burn-in?

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,397 of 3,907
So what actually happens to a resistor during burn-in?
Stuff that changes sound lol.

I don't know exactly, there are alot of theories but i imagine the molecules need to settle into a more fixed condition. And that is achieved with electrical current.

All i know is that the sound changes once it its burned in. I don't have a definitive answer as to why.

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,398 of 3,907
Hmm, swapped out the Audio Quest Coffee usb cable for a standard usb cable and it sounds more incisive, more delineated, and the highs more pronounced. The AQ Coffee may not be a good pairing with the Ares. I have a AQ diamond in my reference setup and do not have the issues the AQ Coffee brings in that setup. I have a Singxer SU6 DDC lying around somewhere and a dedicated linear power supply(uptone audio JS-2) to go with it and a Revelation i2s cable. Might be a good idea to see if I can clean up the signal from the usb. Tempted to just purchase a second AQ Diamond usb cable but the cable would almost cost the same amount as the DAC, and for a work area system that might be overkill... decisions... Anyone try a ddc with the Ares II? Improvements?

Edit: it was the xlr's causing the issues. I like it much better now.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,399 of 3,907
Hmm, swapped out the Audio Quest Coffee usb cable for a standard usb cable and it sounds more incisive, more delineated, and the highs more pronounced. The AQ Coffee may not be a good pairing with the Ares. I have a AQ diamond in my reference setup and do not have the issues the AQ Coffee brings in that setup. I have a Singxer SU6 DDC lying around somewhere and a dedicated linear power supply(uptone audio JS-2) to go with it and a Revelation i2s cable. Might be a good idea to see if I can clean up the signal from the usb. Tempted to just purchase a second AQ Diamond usb cable but the cable would almost cost the same amount as the DAC, and for a work area system that might be overkill... decisions... Anyone try a ddc with the Ares II? Improvements?
I have the audio-gd di20he. Currently, its connected via coax.

It improves the capabilities of the ares ii but I think the ares ii might be the limiting factor between the two. The gains are there but I feel like it would be more with a higher end dac.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #3,400 of 3,907
My last two dacs have been r2r ladder dacs, so I am already accustomed/climatized "to the unprocessed sound (or less processed)". But you maybe right, it might be too early to have impressions so I'll wait.
Yeah… give it a chance to burn in and open up. And see if Denafrips suits you. At the end of the day, it’s what you enjoy and that is all that matters. :)

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #3,401 of 3,907
I've seen a few reviews of Ares II + Iris that claim the addition of the Iris brings improvements.
I use a xDuoo X10T II, via USB (AQ Forest) or S/PDIF, with my Ares II and I'd be interested to know whether the addition of a DDC would yield any meaningful benefits.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #3,402 of 3,907
I have this dac and i like it. But if like to do a real A/B test against another dac. I have a Schiit SYS to A/B two dacs, so i can put that after the dac output. The music source is usb. What I am asking is how do i get the usb music source to go to both dacs simultaneously so that i can then do instantaneous a/b testing.

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,403 of 3,907
Decided to swap some cables around, it's starting to come around. I didn't realize the neotech xlr cables (NEI-3001 III) I had were silver plated, and not even upocc silver. I just put in a pair of world's best mogami xlr's and it starting to sound good. I've told my audio dealer multiple times not to sell me anything with silver... guess I need to re-evaluate things with my dealer. The Ares II is growing on me.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,405 of 3,907
I bought a pair of Amazon Basics cables that are copper for $9 and like them better than the Kimber Silver Streaks I unloaded. Just my personal opinion of course.
I agree with your assessment on silver, it's a waste of money, unless you go full upocc non plated silver and even then it's about preference. Copper > silver for most situations. I highly dislike silver plated copper hybrid cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back