Denafrips Arce
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #77 of 200
What is pi based? The Denafrips Arce is certainly not. Alvin says that in the video a few times.
My bad I assumed it was Pi based. I haven’t seen the video.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #78 of 200
World premiere of the Denafrips Arce Streamer.
Finally, someone put isolators between digital processing board and output board.
If playback from local drive would reasonable by some smartphone app, I`m into this.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #79 of 200
Info regarding Arce and DDC from the Steve Hoffman forum:

Just got an email from Vinshine and my hunch was correct:

Hello, I'm interested in the new ARCE streamer and have a question: I currently use an IRIS DDC, if I were to purchase the ARCE streamer will it render my IRIS DDC useless? Couldn't find any facts about this and in the diagram on your website, the ARCE is connected directly to the DAC. Thank you.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

The Arce streamer is equipped with an internal DDC, eliminating the need for an external one. This built-in DDC includes a FIFO buffer and a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator, effectively making it a Streamer+DDC in one device.

For optimal performance when using the Arce Streamer, it is advisable to establish a direct connection to the DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter).

Many thanks.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #80 of 200
Finally, someone put isolators between digital processing board and output board.
If playback from local drive would reasonable by some smartphone app, I`m into this.
Honestly this is THE thing it brings to the table. It’s like a DAC without the output stage. Take a Denafrips DAC for example, those got their own DSP. You now have got two but are only using one. In the DAC it’s just the output stage at work. Whether that’s a good or bad thing is another matter (wasteful or not?)

In terms of “best” SQ I also agree that it’s a bit of a marketing shield. Zooming in on the HDMI out I see a single IC which probably is a quad LVDS line driver. For “best” SQ you would want four separate single drivers to minimize crosstalk.

I also don’t understand why Denafrips is so bent on using TCXOs as an upgrade. Compared to VCXOs, all other things being the same, they have higher close-in phase noise due to their temperature control loop. Now OCXOs would be another matter.

Sorry to be sounding a bit sour but this is my thinking after having it sink in for a couple of days.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #81 of 200
You now have got two but are only using one
Other way it`s best to get DDC with isolated usb input so another device in chain anyway.

Aug 8, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #82 of 200
The Arce streamer is equipped with an internal DDC, eliminating the need for an external one. This built-in DDC includes a FIFO buffer and a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator, effectively making it a Streamer+DDC in one device.
So as a DDC which format can Arce convert to another one?
I don‘t see that it is able to convert USB to something else. So where is the DDC functionality?
You can say Arce is a streamer with different digital outputs but that isn‘t the definition of a DDC.

Matt

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #83 of 200
So as a DDC which format can Arce convert to another one?
You can say Arce is a streamer with different digital outputs but that isn‘t the definition of a DDC.
Digital to Digital Converter, which part you don't understand?
Any kind of file streamed with inputs, as you can see Ethernet or USB external drive are converted into I2S (so HDMI output port) and to other outputs (coax RCA or AES/EBU). So digital to digital conversion. In this case the focus is on isolating input circuit and processing but so IC`s on PCB. This is what standalone DDC advantages the most, cause PC or source digital ground is isolated from digital ground of output section of device.

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #84 of 200
Any kind of file streamed with inputs, as you can see Ethernet or USB external drive are converted into I2S (so HDMI output port) and to other outputs (coax RCA or AES/EBU).
Ethernet to other digital outputs is a streamer but not a DDC.
Look at Holo Red for a streamer AND DDC, it is able to convert USB from a server, the Arce isn‘t able to do it.

Matt

Aug 8, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #85 of 200
I don`t understand what does it mean to convert USB? If you play Flac audio file from Ethernet and this file is stored on USB drive connected to router, what would you get if Arce would output Spdif? it is still digital to digital conversion.
I guess you think of simple external input of some kind like USB to other digital format passthru, then it isn`t DDC.
But I believe they simplify DDC idea to isolating grounds.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #87 of 200
Let us stop here, the Arce isn‘t a DDC.
It is a streamer with DDC built in. Perfect for us Roon users with quality external DACs.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #90 of 200
Even less ideal then tbh.

I dunno, it looks cool in many ways, but given how competitive the streamer market is right now, it's hard to see why one would go for this over something like an EverSolo DMP-A6 if you're wanting features/aesthetics, or a Holo Red for performance (and more features still).

IMO this either should have been closer to $500 to be compelling or should have had some relatively simple stuff like USB output and 768khz support at least
Denafrips Chief Engineer: Because of the problem of clock jitter, the digital interface transmission bandwidth follows the clock. At present, most of the digital audio interface's bandwidth supported is limited. Transmission of high sampling rate, such as 768khz/1536khz requires crystal oscillator with high frequency. But the sound quality of high frequency crystal oscillator is poor. So Denafrips ARCE naa only support up to 384khz also considering compatibility with other brand's dac as most western DAC only support up to 384khz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back