Denafrips Arce
Jul 26, 2023 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 198

George Hincapie

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting a thread for the new Denafrips Arce streamer. A perfect addition to the Denafrips line, and the next logical step following the redesign of the Ares 12th-1 to include a full aluminium chassis. The same design language appears to have been carried across to the Arce.

Alvin at Vinshine will release a video soon with the full specification, but looking at the images taken from FB below, we can see a toroidal LPSU, so no additional supply is needed. It's Pi based with a rear slot for swapping out the SD card. It has the usual complement of outputs, AES, TOS, SPDIF Coax, USB and I2S. Seamless integration with Denafrips products. It has word clock inputs, so performance can be elevated further still. Depending upon price, this could be the last digital source you need.

I would have liked to have seen a BNC output. I know it's rate limited, but I love it nonetheless. The only other omission I can see is the lack of an SFP cage for fibre, which would have elevated the utility of this to 'God Tier' :) .

Please do share your hopes, thoughts and grumbles!

362967467_681812040659717_1628245360073189574_n.jpg

362972941_681811967326391_981384066873877495_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 198
With streamers like the Eversolo DMP-A6 on the market, I'm curious to see how they price this streamer.

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 198
I am very interested.
Most of all, I'm curious about the software they use to realize the whole thing - my wish would be Dietpi or Roopie.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 198
With streamers like the Eversolo DMP-A6 on the market, I'm curious to see how they price this streamer.
Given the cost of the Ares II, and similar form factor, I expect it to land around £800.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 198
So roughly the same as Holo Red, can it work as DDC as well?

Matt

Good question; I don't know. I expect we'll find out soon.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 198
I think that for people who are primarily going to integrate streaming services through such devices that while it should be several years, it is almost a certainty that these type of devices will become outdated quickly, relatively speaking.

Makes me wonder if it makes any sense investing significant cash into such devices. Will these vendors put the resources to keep older devices (as they age) able to connect to streaming services or will they stop support efforts hoping that customers felt that they received enough time and will simply purchase the next iteration.

Frankly for me, I'm happy using my phone to stream to a DAC via Bluetooth. Amazing sound quality in a very convenient device that I already own. When I upgrade my phone, the previous one becomes my Android music streaming device so no double duty as a phone and probably updated far longer than a streaming box would ever be.

Of course that is for me a user with humble needs, but my phone has not let me down as a streaming device for years and no extra money out of pocket. Still, I can see the appeal with a dedicated streaming device like this.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 198
I think that for people who are primarily going to integrate streaming services through such devices that while it should be several years, it is almost a certainty that these type of devices will become outdated quickly, relatively speaking.

Makes me wonder if it makes any sense investing significant cash into such devices. Will these vendors put the resources to keep older devices (as they age) able to connect to streaming services or will they stop support efforts hoping that customers felt that they received enough time and will simply purchase the next iteration.

Frankly for me, I'm happy using my phone to stream to a DAC via Bluetooth. Amazing sound quality in a very convenient device that I already own. When I upgrade my phone, the previous one becomes my Android music streaming device so no double duty as a phone and probably updated far longer than a streaming box would ever be.

Of course that is for me a user with humble needs, but my phone has not let me down as a streaming device for years and no extra money out of pocket. Still, I can see the appeal with a dedicated streaming device like this.
As long as they provide frequent software updates and the same support they've given their DAC line, I don't see their streamer depreciating any faster than a DAC, DDC, or Amp. The landscape is constantly changing, 6 years ago 80% of the equipment for sale today didn't exist.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 198
As long as they provide frequent software updates and the same support they've given their DAC line, I don't see their streamer depreciating any faster than a DAC, DDC, or Amp. The landscape is constantly changing, 6 years ago 80% of the equipment for sale today didn't exist.
Beautiful chain. What are you feeding Gaia with?

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 198
Beautiful chain. What are you feeding Gaia with?
Thank You!
....an iPad Pro :sweat_smile: Precisely why I'm in this thread. A streamer has been on the purchase list for some time. Curious to see how this compares sound wise to the EverSolo DMP-A6. I may just opt for the 6in LCD screen, it's undeniably beautiful. On the other hand, I want to maintain system synergy and adding a Denafrips Arce would be the obvious solution.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 198
Thank You!
....an iPad Pro :sweat_smile: Precisely why I'm in this thread. A streamer has been on the purchase list for some time. Curious to see how this compares sound wise to the EverSolo DMP-A6. I may just opt for the 6in LCD screen, it's undeniably beautiful. On the other hand, I want to maintain system synergy and adding a Denafrips Arce would be the obvious solution.
Buy the Arce and control it with Roon from the iPad? The iPad screen being even nicer 😊

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 198
T
Buy the Arce and control it with Roon from the iPad? The iPad screen being even nicer 😊
That'll most likely be my course of action. An Arce in black aluminum would be icing on the cake, while still utilizing the 11in screen of the iPad.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 198
I'm starting a thread for the new Denafrips Arce streamer. A perfect addition to the Denafrips line, and the next logical step following the redesign of the Ares 12th-1 to include a full aluminium chassis. The same design language appears to have been carried across to the Arce.

Alvin at Vinshine will release a video soon with the full specification, but looking at the images taken from FB below, we can see a toroidal LPSU, so no additional supply is needed. It's Pi based with a rear slot for swapping out the SD card. It has the usual complement of outputs, AES, TOS, SPDIF Coax, USB and I2S. Seamless integration with Denafrips products. It has word clock inputs, so performance can be elevated further still. Depending upon price, this could be the last digital source you need.

I would have liked to have seen a BNC output. I know it's rate limited, but I love it nonetheless. The only other omission I can see is the lack of an SFP cage for fibre, which would have elevated the utility of this to 'God Tier' :) .

Please do share your hopes, thoughts and grumbles!

362967467_681812040659717_1628245360073189574_n.jpg

362972941_681811967326391_981384066873877495_n.jpg
Yes, BNC output definitely.. And more optical isolation as in iFi Neo Stream or Hifi Rose RS130. Let’s also see some vendor published measurements.

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 198
... last year (2022) I bought a second hand Auralic Aries streamer (the 2015 version).
Since last year it got firmware updates - still, althought Auralic announced "no more updates". I guess they found a way to still maintain this device.

Even if I shouldn't get any more firmware updates, the device streams everything, is a roon endpoint (which I don't you), can do Airplay (which I use from time to time), accesses my NAS for local files, and so on.

I don't see a reason why the new Denafrips streamer should turn into a paper weight anytime soon.

=== edit, shortly after initial reply ===
Surprise, surprise - my Auralic vintage streamer just got an update to the very latest version 9.2 . B-i
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-27 um 20.32.09.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back