Denafrips Arce
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #185 of 198
Setting the sample rate of Roon's output to the Denafrips Streamer to DSD512 results in a crackling sound that accompanies the music. Set it to DSD256 and the crackling disappears.

upsampling to dsd512 is very cpu intensive. as mentioned, it sounds like your computer simply doesn't have enough horsepower to do it. dsd256 is much easier to handle.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #186 of 198
When I use Macmini m2 USB direct connection to Denafrips DAC, DSD512 plays fine.ARCE uses TF card to play DSD512 locally will be stuck. So, since the ARCE factory specs claim to support DSD512 playback, the problem is with the ARCE.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #187 of 198
Does the Arce basically have an Iris built into it? In other words is it functionally a DDC + a streamer?

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #190 of 198
Denafrips Arcas output to Denafrips Terminator 12th-1 via USB , DSD512 stable and smooth playback has been successful.
Just researched the Denafrips website for firmware update instructions for Arce & Arcas, DSD512 is only on USB output, while I2S output only DSD256 , Currently firmware.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #191 of 198
Denafrips Arcas output to Denafrips Terminator 12th-1 via USB , DSD512 stable and smooth playback has been successful.
Just researched the Denafrips website for firmware update instructions for Arce & Arcas, DSD512 is only on USB output, while I2S output only DSD256 , Currently firmware.
Are you linking Terminator word clock outputs to Arcas?

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #194 of 198
Yes, I use two Belden 1694F's for the interconnect and have never removed them since I put them on, I can set the Arcas within the Denafrips Android App to use an external clock or not and the sound has improved.
Very nice. Enjoy!

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #195 of 198
Hello all, Not sure if this is readily known but the Denafrips Arce does support USB output to a DAC. I have tried it up to 1X DSD and it sounds just fine. Alvin and I discussed this and he seemed reluctant to suggest using it with USB to a DAC and I am not sure why. He recommended using the I2S (of course) or the Coax as my 2nd DAC does not have a I2S input. So the firmware notes say it works with 192 PCM in an earlier version then 768k PCM with USB to DAC but never mentions DSD with USB output. I find this very odd as one of the big nocks on the Arce when it came out was no USB output to DAC. Works fine on mine but will try 2X and 4X DSD later today and note it here. Just checked it worked with Roon at 2X DSD and 4X DSD seems to work and sound nice. Well after listening for a while I think I may have figured out while Alvin tried to discourage using the USB output. It is a bit grainy and sibliant compared to the I2S connection. I haven't tried the coax or toslink to my other DAC yet but I think the USB is thumbs down or at least a firmware update may improve it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back