Delivery of Headstage Arrow HE 4G
Mar 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #167 of 357
Impression: worth the wait. 

Review: Too tired and too new to the Arrow. 

But I'll say this much: Compared to the FiiO L7, it breathes life into the instruments and reproduces their tonality beautifully.  The L7 is bright and 2D by comparison, emphasizing or introducing a bit of sibilance; it is a bit harsh compared to the Arrow.  With the L7, it feels as if there is always some treble, whether the music contains any or not -- you vill hear ze treble!  The Arrow only brings your attention to its life-like treble when there is something to reproduce, and that can be startling in its realism.  It feels like a great tube amp (in the good sense) -- presence, liquidity, believability.  In contrast, the L7 is exciting in that the midrange and treble is brightly lit, and the treble in particular is tipped up.... as if a compressor is used, giving a sense that you are hearing every little thing down into the noise floor. 

With the Arrow, good records come across more like my main stereo at home, compared to portable sound I would expect at this price (I play XA-5400ES  SACD or LP --> tube amps --> Vandersteen 3A sig. Frequency response seems flat, stunningly so for headphones, much less IEMs.  If I have any initial negative of the Arrow, it is a sense that the some fine details or textures are lost, but then I'm coming off using an L7 that forces it all at me.  The Arrow presents everything in proportion, not forced or compressed or spotlit.  

This is the first portable rig I've owned qualified to be called "audiophile."  iPhone 4s --> Arrow --> Phonak Audeo PFE 232 (gray filter, medium Comply tips...silicone cause some sibilance).   Now I no longer feel the lower treble peak of the Phonak to be a problem... much better than I thought. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #168 of 357
Does anyone know if the Arrow will drain power if left connected to a LOD? I'll be using mine with a ipod classic and was hoping I wouldn't have to disconnect it every time I'm finished using it because of the auto on/off feature. So will I be ok leaving it connected to the ipod or will this drain the battery?

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #169 of 357

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Arrow will drain power if left connected to a LOD? I'll be using mine with a ipod classic and was hoping I wouldn't have to disconnect it every time I'm finished using it because of the auto on/off feature. So will I be ok leaving it connected to the ipod or will this drain the battery?

It will shut off as long as music isn't playing.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #170 of 357

Quote:

Can the Arrow even drain power from the ipod? The Arrow has its own battery. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, i'm curious if that's really possible. But like someone else already said when there's no input for a set amount of time, the amp will just turn itself off.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #175 of 357
I received it this morning. I ordered it on Feb 23th, so it took 1 month and a few days, sent from Germany to Paris.
I think 1 month is fairly honest for such a small business and a hand-made device.

I'll try to put words on what I hear later (never done that before). I'll be comparing it to Fiio E11 and E9 amps, only references so far.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #176 of 357
Dropped Robert an email last Thursday around 5PM and he replied Friday @ 7AM saying it would ship that day.  Just received it...Wooow!  I've been using the XM5 and the XM6 for a couple of years now and got used to the size...this thing is like a credit card!  Playing flac from my Cowon D3 with this is like night and day compared to the XM6...well worth the 1 month wait and 300 bucks!

Happy listening everyone!
Moridin

Edit:  Using Westone 4Rs not the 3s in my avatar...gave those away to a friend in the hopes to convert from the ibudcraps :wink:

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #177 of 357
Received mine also. Sounds absolutely great through my Shure535's and my M50's. I experienced a bit of static through the Shures when first trying out the amp but haven't been able to recreate the fault. I sent an email to Robert and received a reply the same day on possible reasons for it, most likely wifi interference from my iPod Touch.

Great product, great service after the sale, happy customer
L3000.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #178 of 357

Quote:
Dropped Robert an email last Thursday around 5PM and he replied Friday @ 7AM saying it would ship that day.  Just received it...Wooow!  I've been using the XM5 and the XM6 for a couple of years now and got used to the size...this thing is like a credit card!  Playing flac from my Cowon D3 with this is like night and day compared to the XM6...well worth the 1 month wait and 300 bucks!

Moridin

Edit:  Using Westone 4Rs not the 3s in my avatar...gave those away to a friend in the hopes to convert from the ibudcraps :wink:

Cool... congrats on receiving your Arrow. Well worth the wait eh? So how does it compare to the XM6? I've been curious about that amp too for a while, already being an Arrow 3G owner. 

Welcome to HF btw....

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #179 of 357
When I had the XM6, I actually compared it to my Arrow 1g side by side for a good half an hour or so, and with bass boost, treble boost, and all those things off- just trying to listen to the amp itself, to my ears (maybe deaf ears?), they sounded the same.

Quote:
Quote:

Moridin

Cool... congrats on receiving your Arrow. Well worth the wait eh? So how does it compare to the XM6? I've been curious about that amp too for a while, already being an Arrow 3G owner. 

Welcome to HF btw....

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #180 of 357

Quote:
When I had the XM6, I actually compared it to my Arrow 1g side by side for a good half an hour or so, and with bass boost, treble boost, and all those things off- just trying to listen to the amp itself, to my ears (maybe deaf ears?), they sounded the same.

1G is a rather different beast from the 4G even if you remove the treble boost bass boost changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back