Dekoni Blue Loaner Tour
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #61 of 97
Finally got caught up on some other things and finalized my notes on the HP-A4BL amp that was provided as part of the tour.
Review is up on my blog or here under the headgear section.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #63 of 97
Tour updates? It has been over two weeks since anyone has updated the whereabouts...please remember to update upon receiving as well as sending...

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #64 of 97
i sent it to the next stop this morning. I liked these headphones very much and I think that the massdrop deal is a hell of a deal specially considering that you get two sets of pads and both sets are comfortable and sound good.
I thought that the included DAC/amp does not do the headphones justice. I very much liked the sound with my Audio-GD R2R11 and compared to ZMF Classics and Argon other than the mid range being slightly recessed, and the bass being slightly slower it is a very good value. the dekoni bass has good impact but it is a bit slow. i dont know why.

the comfort takes a big hit compared to the other two because they have straps. suspension strap is the only real solution to the uncomfortable headband. i also used a ZMF pilot pad on it which helped a lot but suspension strap is the solution that really solves the problem.

overall I loved these enough to buy order a pair for myself and also order an alcantara strap from mod house or ZMF pilot pad. I did not think that the fostex amp/dac was good at all.

I mostly compared them to Hifiman 400i, ZMF Classic, and argon. I also did some AB with AQ Nighthawk but i decided and it wasnt broken in enough and I also compared with audeze LCD-2C which again showed how much of a value the dekonis are unless you are willing to pay dearly to get a more refined and also more forward mid and more visceral bass of the LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #65 of 97
I am still waiting on an address to them ship to. I asked back on Friday.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #66 of 97
I am still waiting on an address to them ship to. I asked back on Friday.

I'm next in the queue for your demo unit, @interweb-tech. I replied to the Dekoni PM requesting my info on Thursday. Hopefully they'll pass it along, soon.

They are asking you for tracking info., but it seems they forgot to include you in the PM where they ask my address and are asking for info. :D

Thx.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #67 of 97
I'm next in the queue for your demo unit, @interweb-tech. I replied to the Dekoni PM requesting my info on Thursday. Hopefully they'll pass it along, soon.

They are asking you for tracking info., but it seems they forgot to include you in the PM where they ask my address and are asking form info. :D

Thx.
I should have been included in that PM. That's how my turn worked.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #68 of 97
Oversight, I'm sure. I've notified them via that PM that they failed to include you. Hopefully the matter will be corrected tomorrow. Looking forward to give the 'Blues' a whirl!!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #70 of 97
IMG_20181105_220006.jpg

Got everything up an running tonight, I spent a little more time with the HP-A4BL than I did the Blue. Though my quick listening of the Blue left me content! Nothing stood out immediately as unpleasant, un bearable or just down right bad!!! All in all I'm excited to hear more of it ^^ and run it through the paces

I also posted/created a dedicated thread for the HP-A4BL and posted my impressions of it there, I will say I don't feel it qualifies as a worthy amp for this headphone... it's output is a little less than what I'd consider good enough.

IMG_20181105_220539.jpg

An to counter, when I ran the Blue through my Project Ember II I was able to get up to 69 dBs with Pink Noise!!! About 8 dBs more than what the Single Ended output of the HP-A4BL could do and about 4 dBs more than what it's balanced output can do... and not only is there more headroom but also less Noise

Though this may not be the fairest comparison as my Ember II is hooked up to my Reference system. Still though noise aside, I expected a little more power from the HP-A4BL than it had to offer...

I also have to admit I'm very much enjoying the Ember II with the Blue

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_212305.jpg
    IMG_20181105_212305.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181105_225111.jpg
    IMG_20181105_225111.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #71 of 97
My loaner Dekoni Blue is boxed up and ready to go to the Post Office tomorrow. As much as I would love to keep them forever, it's time to spread the joy. :D

So what did I think about them?

Well, after listening to Dekoni, it was a story of 2 headphones. My initial impressions was - wow, the Blues SUCK! Why would they be putting them out on tour -- Bass is bloated and plodding. Highs are shrill and strident. Mids were recessed and breaks-up periodically. Soundstage was narrow and congested. I began to think these were either defective or the other reviewers were being far too generous in their assessment. WELL, I WAS WRONG!! ...

All this changed when I switched from the Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amplifier to my Schiit Lyr 3 tube hybrid amp.
Seems the Valhalla 2 being an OTL tube amplifier is VERY particular about headphones and the DB was not a match made in heaven given it is a low impedance HP. Not the Dekoni Blue's fault -- heck any low impedance Planar would suffer the same fate. At 50 ohms Valhalla 2 puts out .18 watts and with a 93db sensitivity, the Fostex variants are just not going to play at a nice level without the amp being driven to soft clipping. The Lyr 3 however, would drive the DB's at a very potent 4 watts of power -- night and day difference!! So after rectifying the situation and moving to the Lyr 3, what did I think? (I did not use the provided Fostex amp)

Sound: The Dekoni Blues were a good listen. They are a mildly warm HP with a nice bass punch that digs deep. While the bass is a bit pronounced, it never really impedes on the clarity of the mids, which while slightly recessed, are clear and detailed giving instruments air and space. The highs were now nicely present and crisp without sounding etched or strident. The soundstage, although not as wide as open back HPs, was moderately wide extending outside the head. Sound isolation was very good for a semi-open, doing a good job of keeping music out of the room and the room out of the music. Their sound signature forms a slight 'U' and as for flaws in their reproduction of music, well there was really none that would cause any concern (All of my listening was with the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads.)

Comfort: The Dekoni Blues are very comfortable. Even after extended listening, I was not fatigued. They adjusted easily and the ear pads were comfortable with no undue heat or discomfort. They are well built and seem very durable.

Note: I did do some comparisons between the HD6XX and the Dekoni Blues, but most was when the DB's were used with Valhalla 2. I did compare briefly with Lyr 3 but due to time constraints, it was not nearly as thorough. I can say that the HD6XX does have a more neutral sound and comparatively, is not as 'exciting' to listen to as the Dekonis. The HD6XX being open back, does have a wider soundstage and since it is a more neutral HP it does lend itself better to unamplified instruments such as acoustic guitar, piano, etc. The Dekonis do a good job across the board, but are definitely more 'energetic' and do a fabulous job with electric guitar, EDM, etc. Vocals were nice on both, although the HD6XX sometimes did exhibit the mystical 'Sennheiser Veil' that made it seem a tiny bit less clear.

Closing: Once matched with the proper amp, I have no problems in recommending the Dekoni Blues. They have a very engaging sound that is very appealing and lends itself to prolonged listening without audio fatigue. They are also comfortable allowing for extended listening sessions without needing to take a break to rest the head or cool the ears. At their selling price, they are very easy to recommend and will not disappoint.

Well what do you know -- I just wrote my first review!! :D

(sorry for any typos -- watching the Cowboy game while typing this.)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #72 of 97
My loaner Dekoni Blue is boxed up and ready to go to the Post Office tomorrow. As much as I would love to keep them forever, it's time to spread the joy. :D

Well, after listening to Dekoni, it was a story of 2 headphones. My initial impressions was - wow, the Blues SUCK! Why would they be putting them out on tour -- Bass is bloated and plodding. Highs are shrill and strident. Mids were recessed and breaks-up periodically. Soundstage was narrow and congested. I began to think these were either defective or the other reviewers were being far too generous in their assessment. WELL, I WAS WRONG!! ...

All this changed when I switched from the Schiit Valhalla 2 tube amplifier to my Schiit Lyr 3 tube hybrid amp.
Seems the Valhalla 2 being an OTL tube amplifier is VERY particular about headphones and the DB was not a match made in heaven given it is a low impedance HP. Not the Dekoni Blue's fault -- heck any low impedance Planar would suffer the same fate. At 50 ohms Valhalla 2 puts out .18 watts and with a 93db sensitivity, the Fostex variants are just not going to play at a nice level without the amp being driven to soft clipping. The Lyr 3 however, would drive the DB's at a very potent 4 watts of power -- night and day difference!! So after rectifying the situation and moving to the Lyr 3, what did I think? (I did not use the provided Fostex amp)

Sound: The Dekoni Blues were a good listen. They are a mildly warm HP with a nice bass punch that digs deep. While the bass is a bit pronounced, it never really impedes on the clarity of the mids, which while slightly recessed, are clear and detailed giving instruments air and space. The highs were now nicely present and crisp without sounding etched or strident. The soundstage, although not as wide as open back HPs, was moderately wide extending outside the head. Sound isolation was very good for a semi-open, doing a good job of keeping music out of the room and the room out of the music. Their sound signature forms a slight 'U' and as for flaws in their reproduction of music, well there was really none that would cause any concern (All of my listening was with the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads.)

Comfort: The Dekoni Blues are very comfortable. Even after extended listening, I was not fatigued. They adjusted easily and the ear pads were comfortable with no undue heat or discomfort. They are well built and seem very durable.

Note: I did do some comparisons between the HD6XX and the Dekoni Blues, but most was when the DB's were used with Valhalla 2. I did compare briefly with Lyr 3 but due to time constraints, it was not nearly as thorough. I can say that the HD6XX does have a more neutral sound and comparatively, is not as 'exciting' to listen to as the Dekonis. The HD6XX being open back, does have a wider soundstage and since it is a more neutral HP it does lend itself better to unamplified instruments such as acoustic guitar, piano, etc. The Dekonis do a good job across the board, but are definitely more 'energetic' and do a fabulous job with electric guitar, EDM, etc. Vocals were nice on both, although the HD6XX sometimes did exhibit the mystical 'Sennheiser Veil' that made it seem a tiny bit less clear.

Closing: Once matched with the proper amp I have no problems in recommending the Dekoni Blues. They have a very engaging sound that is very appealing and lends itself to prolonged listening without audio fatigue. They are also comfortable allowing for extended listening sessions without needing to take a break to rest the head or cool the ears. At their selling price, they are very easy to recommend and will not disappoint.

I ran into this same thing with the Valhalla - it just doesn't do its best with anything below 300 Ohms. I found the Dekoni Blue to be excellent when paired with the Burson Play or Fun that are both capable of putting out a good bit of power similar to what you did with the Lyr3.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #73 of 97

Closing: Once matched with the proper amp, I have no problems in recommending the Dekoni Blues. They have a very engaging sound that is very appealing and lends itself to prolonged listening without audio fatigue. They are also comfortable allowing for extended listening sessions without needing to take a break to rest the head or cool the ears. At their selling price, they are very easy to recommend and will not disappoint.

Wait, you have that fantastic of a posts:likes ratio, and this is your first ever headphone review? Well, you did a great job! It’s easy to see why you get so many likes :wink:

Added to the thread’s front page.

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Nov 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #74 of 97
@DekoniAudio

Seems like I'm next in line!

One quick question: Can we EQ the headphones at all? Of course, probably not bumping more bass but rather pull back. I like to have an "EQ" section in my impressions/reviews. Asking just in case!

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #75 of 97
@DekoniAudio

Seems like I'm next in line!

One quick question: Can we EQ the headphones at all? Of course, probably not bumping more bass but rather pull back. I like to have an "EQ" section in my impressions/reviews. Asking just in case!

I did in my review and I see no reason why it would be a problem, just make sure you note whether your notes refer to the untouched signature or to the Eq'd version so people have a realistic expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back