Defective JVC-HARX900 ?
Feb 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dcaumont

New Head-Fier
Greetings all - long time reader, first time poster. Based on a number of reviews from this forum and others, I purchased a set of RX900's which arrived yesterday. I had an opportunity to listen to them for a little while yesterday afternoon and then left them plugged in to my amp at moderate volume for about 10 hours. After listening to them more this morning/afternoon, it seems to me that the bass is significantly reduced in the left ear phone. Switching the fade left to right (full left channel then full right channel) yields significantly different sound reproduction, with the right ear phone sounding considerably better than the left. I am fairly new to all of this and wasn't sure if this was some fancy way these JVC's create their sound stage, but I couldn't imagine that would be the case.

The 'phones were purchased from Buy.Com and before I do a return/exchange, I was curious if anyone has experienced a similar problem or had any advice on how to investigate the issue further? Thanks in advance!

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 5
I mean fully try them out, with all kinds of different tracks, and just manually switch them back and forth (ie put the R cup on your left ear). If indeed the bass is messed up on one side, its certainly defective.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 5
buy.com is ez on returns. they wil email u a ups label.

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 5
I know this is an old thread, but I had to reply... I just recieved a brand new in box set of HARX900's from an ebay seller, and have the EXACT same problem. The left speaker is roughly 3db quieter than the right, the highs are non existent, and the bass sounds muffled. The only thing that sounds even semi-decent are the mids, which aren't particularly a strong point on these cans in the first place.

This is my second set, and the first set compared to these is night and day... even the quality of the headband is better. These have crooked sewing, uneven padding. I'm not particularly thrilled.

After the experience I had with the first set, I thought that these were a sure bet, so I went ahead with an ebay seller instead of buy.com (like my first set). I'm praying that the ebay seller is good about an exchange, but I'm very worried that they'll listen to the cans and say nothing is wrong since both sides have noise coming out of them.
rolleyes.gif

We'll see.

I just wanted to give potential HARX900 owners a heads up... it looks like this isn't common, but for a defect like this to be present in more than one set purchased 8 months apart means that there still could be some bad ones out there. I suggest buying them from somewhere known for a good return process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back