Defective ATJ-M50's or Poor/Nature of the Audio Files?
Oct 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gabbuhh

New Head-Fier
I've had the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for about 2 months now. It's my first pair of decent headphones. Although it's not as pronounced for FLAC files, there seems to be a type of static / muddiness in the upper frequencies (and at higher decibels). It's enough to bother me where I would be doing work and it would distract me from it and grab my attention. I didn't get to compare this yet to a brand new one, but I would like to get your thoughts onto the chance that my headphones might be defective.

I did sort of drop it a couple times on my carpet from about 2 feet before (since I didn't notice it before, but that may be because I haven't listened to any of the music where this may be audible). I've also driven it with a uDAC 2 for it with the same problems. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Like you, I am new to high-quality headphones. I just got a pair of the ATH-M50's.  As with these headphones new, there is considerable burn-in time, and just so you know, mine are only at around 25-30 hours.  Anyway, I think I know what you are saying a little bit. It seems like some of the upper frequencies, especially the loudest ones, sound a bit fuzzy. I doubt it's that your headphones are defective, because mine sound like that too on some songs. On most though, they just sound awesome!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back