Dedicated DAC Recommendations ($150)
May 21, 2010 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjsoviet

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello once again, guys. Currently, I am in search of a good DAC to supplement my current home rig, which involves a Little Dot MKIII and M-Audio AV30 speakers. From my laptop's headphone-out, the sound is noticeably muddier and less lively even compared to my Cowon S9. So, can you help me?

Here are my personal requirements for the DAC, so at least the options would be narrowed down:

Maximum budget: $150
Input: USB
Output: RCA
Sampling rate: Doesn't matter
Power source: USB or separate PSU
Sound signature: Preferably neutral, or slightly cold
Size: Any

Here are some DAC's I've been monitoring for quite a long time now, and I'm still unsure of what I would get. There are so many choices even at this price range:

1. E-MU 404 USB (used)
2. Super Pro 707 
3. Musiland Monitor 02 US
4. HRT MusicStreamer II
5. NuForce uDAC
6. HotAudio DAC-Extasy
7. Gamma-1 DAC (commissioned)
8. Audio-GD Sparrow Basic USB
9. Firestone Fubar II

So far I'm leaning towards either the Monitor 02, Fubar-II or the Gamma-1. I hope you guys could help me in my decision, as I don't want to waste any more money on unsound choices. If you could give me your experiences with these amps or recommendations on others I may have overlook, please do.

Thank you all, and have a good day! 
dt880smile.png

May 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 11

The Monitor 02 seems to be just about right for my needs, and sound quality is reported to outmatch an upgraded Xonar STX too. I still await though other opinions of others before I jump the gun.

May 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I recently upgraded from a Musiland LILO III to Fubar II. Got more detail, increase in frequency response both ways, and much better build quality. Also gained the ability to roll opamps. It does seem a tad warm, though. All the best with whatever you choose!

May 23, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 11
I am still open to recommendations. So far, I've been researching and it seems PSU-powered DAC's seem to work better due to better flow of current. Thus, I have narrowed down my selection to these candidates:

Fubar II
Monitor 02 US
Sparrow
Gamma-1 (PSU)

Any of these would be a good choice, IMO. So, anyone who could give me his opinions on the said DAC's? Please and thank you. 

May 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 11
I am not familiar with the others, but I am very happy with my gamma1. I use it portably with my laptop and also at home with my tube amp. I got the one with coax and optical, so it was a little more, but the usb only version can be had for about $100 in the f/s forum.

May 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I am not familiar with the others, but I am very happy with my gamma1. I use it portably with my laptop and also at home with my tube amp. I got the one with coax and optical, so it was a little more, but the usb only version can be had for about $100 in the f/s forum.

Thanks for your insight. So, I would just contact a DIY builder to make one built to my specifications? 

May 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. So, I would just contact a DIY builder to make one built to my specifications? 

Yes. You don't often see one for sale, which I think says something good. You could post a WTB message in our DIY forum or on AMB's forum. I have noticed that many people ask our member MisterX to build them one. Evidently he is very good and well respected.

May 25, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks Justin, already contacted MisterX to get a quote. :D

However, I think I have posted this thread in the wrong section. There are much more articles on DAC's over at the Dedicated Source Components sub-forum, I wish a mod will move this thread so that I may receive more opinions from others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back