Dedicated Amp with DAC or Amp + DAC?
Sep 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

juantendo8

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I have a vintage Kenwood K-88 integrated amp with what I believe to be 100 watts of power per channel (at 8 ohms) and I have a pair of Beyer DT880 600 ohms coming my way. I will be playing my music from my desktop and laptop computers and I most definitely need to buy a DAC to use with both. I have one quick question that I would like some input on. Would it would be wiser to just buy something like the HRT Music Streamer II for the Kenwood amp, or would I benefit more from buying an Amp + DAC system like the Audio-gd NFB-12? Here are my reasons why I would choose one or the other.

Reasons for Choosing an Amp + DAC
1. Much smaller and more elegant. Actually transportable.
2. If SQ would be better, equal, or almost as good as Kenwood + HRT
3. If a system like NFB-12 is powerful enough to confidently power the Beyer 600 ohms.
4. I have much more freedom to choose an amp + DAC with a suitable sound signature for the brighter Beyers.

Reasons for Sticking with Kenwood Amp with HRT Streamer (or similar)
1. If SQ is just completely superior to Amp + DAC option.
2. Is a little bit cheaper.  

Overall, I honestly would be happier with an amp + DAC like the NFB-12 because of its small form factor, easier connection, and transportability, but not if the sonic consequences are large. Is something like the NFB-12 truly capable of confidently driving the Beyer 600 ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back