Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #841 of 1,238
A note about the Taboo as speaker amp, even when the speakers are mid-quality and being used improperly...

I was telling my (very understanding) wife about Steve's new Taboo, and - should I buy one - what I might do with the old one. In our everyday TV room we have a simple M-Audio 2.1 set-up for sound, which I dropped in after our KEF surround system blew up for the 2nd time. The M-Audio system is meant as a PC-based near-field 'monitor' system, and performs ok for TV purposes.

We decided we'd try the Taboo with the M-Audios. I didn't bother bringing the CSP2 around - so the sub was left out.

Well, we were both amazed how good the little M-Audio satellites sounded! The was such good weight and body the sub wasn't missed at all. There was more presence - voices stood out clearly and were much more distinct. Or, as I'm sure TV is mixed for voice anyway in most cases, its more likely Taboo was simply delivering its usual clarity and transparency. It was striking how clearly vocal details registered e.g. changes in voice from the same actor in different scenes (he appeared to have a mild cold during one part of the shoot, which showed up in two distinct scenes about 30 minutes apart in the finished production), and voice changes as actors moved about wrt microphone and room.

Going back to the M-Audio's amp (built-in to the sub; sub level zeroed for comparison), it's very apparent how muddy and indistinct its sound is, and just how little resolution it has.

I quickly moved the Taboo back to my study, before my wife got too used to the improved sound :)

In the event, I've decided probably not to buy the new Taboo. On Decware's thread about the new amp Steve clarified that the difference is "the new LUCID mode, giving you an optionally wider soundstage with about 10 times the detail. IF you find yourself drawn to this listening mode, there will be no comparison. IF not, then it will be the same basic amplifier but with more resolution from the Cryo'd Beeswax caps [which outperform VCAPs Steve says in the same thread].".

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #842 of 1,238
Can someone provide a link to the Decaware thread with the details on the "New Taboo MkIII" 

I have searched but not having any luck finding the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #844 of 1,238
Quote:
Can someone provide a link to the Decaware thread with the details on the "New Taboo MkIII" 

I have searched but not having any luck finding the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1356975326

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #845 of 1,238
Quote:
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1356975326

Thanks longbowbbs!

Now I am really excited about the new Taboo, sounds like exactly what I would like to get when I return from Italy next spring.

Mark

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #846 of 1,238
Sorry, I should've included a link with my post above.

Indeed, it should be a terrific amp! With its predecessor safely back in my LCD 2 rig, I was appreciating it anew last night, especially as I'm making progress with the right tubes for the csp2

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #847 of 1,238
Quote:
Sorry, I should've included a link with my post above.

Indeed, it should be a terrific amp! With its predecessor safely back in my LCD 2 rig, I was appreciating it anew last night, especially as I'm making progress with the right tubes for the csp2

You need the Mighty 596!

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #848 of 1,238
^ LOL yes indeed longbow - looking upon yours with envy.

Hmm... (looks at wallet)...

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #849 of 1,238
Well, I received my Taboo today. I'm literally gob smacked... I don't really know what else to say at this point. Beautiful :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #850 of 1,238
^ You mean the sound? Or the looks? Or both!!

:wink:

And congratulations - it's an outstanding amp!

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #851 of 1,238
Congrats Willarman!

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #852 of 1,238
Has everyone seen Steve's new Taboo MK III page?

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

taboo3525.jpg

Ranks right up there with some of the best looking tube amps.  This is going right to the top of my WTB list.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #853 of 1,238
Truly, I will NEVER have any spare change.....
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #854 of 1,238
Thats a big increase in price from the Taboo I owned and sold which by the way was the first with a headphone jack. I had asked Steve to design it and I had the jack in the front. seems like a big jump in price IMO. But there a 200.00coupon code amd there are extras like the meters whuch are cool looking and a second headphone jack and also XLR inputs for balanced uses. So I guess 500.00 more is not really that outrageous.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #855 of 1,238
^ You mean the sound? Or the looks? Or both!!

:wink:

And congratulations - it's an outstanding amp!

Definitely both mate! Truly an amazing sounding and looking amp and I haven't even burnt her in yet. This is my first venture into tubes, and have always been a little weary of them, but I'm definitely a convert now! More specifically a Decware convert.. Man I really want that CSP2 now!!

And yes, I had the option to opt in for the newer Taboo just before mine was starting to be built, I couldn't afford it at the time unfortunately. It definitely looks beautiful in the white and I'm sure it sounds just as good too.

A little side note, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread - I like to read into things before I buy them and this thread was definitely helpful in deciding what amp to buy. So thanks guys and anyone who's on the fence about a Decware amp, don't be afraid!

Happy listening maties :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back