Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jan 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #826 of 1,238
My new CSP2+ finally arrived, after waiting for nearly 2 months. I chose some modification options on it, stepped attenuator and Jupiter cap mod. The tubes come with it are not as good as your guys. The rectification tube is a no-brand Chinese made 5U4G, and three others are 6N1P-EV but from different sources by each other but all from Russia. I can read that one of them are produced in '72. However, it sounds impressive initially and without any tube rolling, I can see how big its potential for sound improvement.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #827 of 1,238
Quote:
That is a possibility, but a pain since my Taboo is finally getting broken in.  Plus, it would result in another 3 month wait in addition to the lost cost if/when I sell mine.

Three months is nothing to me these days. :wink:

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #828 of 1,238
True.  It isn't as though I don't have another amp to listen to.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #829 of 1,238
Quote:
My new CSP2+ finally arrived, after waiting for nearly 2 months. I chose some modification options on it, stepped attenuator and Jupiter cap mod. The tubes come with it are not as good as your guys. The rectification tube is a no-brand Chinese made 5U4G, and three others are 6N1P-EV but from different sources by each other but all from Russia. I can read that one of them are produced in '72. However, it sounds impressive initially and without any tube rolling, I can see how big its potential for sound improvement.

Congrats MenAtWork! The day my CSP2+ finally arrived was a big one!  I would enjoy the stock tubes and let it break in then start the rolling journey. Welcome to the club!

beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #830 of 1,238
I am really interested in the new Taboo's possibilities, but I wonder if it can be made with the white top. I have to say the old typewriter black textured finish is not interesting to me. I would rather have the white top and matching maple like my CSP2+.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #831 of 1,238
What does the black typewriter finish look like?

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #832 of 1,238
Old School Typewriter crinkly black....

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #833 of 1,238
Quote:
From the Decware Forum:

Some of the revisions of the new Taboo MK III that can be applied to existing white Taboo's are:

New Input Stage to increase the amplifiers gain to be closer to other Decware amplifiers eliminating the need for a preamp.

Mod - $100

Changed the input tube from a 12AU7 to a 6922

Mod - $50

Employed a voltage divider in series with the headphone output to increase the usable range of the volume control and further reduce noise.

Mod - $70

Added a second lucid mode circuit (and switch) designed for Planar Headphones that can be used with or without existing lucid mode.

Mod - $150

Modified the power supply and eliminated the choke for a more relaxed sound and more graceful clipping.

Mod - $150

Installed Cryo Treated Beeswax coupling capacitors in place of standard poly film caps for increased resolution, (even higher than VCAPs) and a more organic sound.

Mod - $150

And that's about it.

Mods that will also be found on the new amp that can not be applied are as follows:

Thicker Steel Top Plate for lower vibration / micro phonics making use of NOS tubes a more enjoyable experience on headphones.

Black 1930's typewriter finish.

Bias meters for each output tube so that you can see the condition of the tubes, how well they match, and when the amp clips.

Fully Balanced XLR outputs for headphones in addition to the dual 1/4 headphone jacks, one on each side for convenience.

Dual inputs for two sources - switch located in the front for ease access.

Stepped Attenuator standard for perfect channel to channel tracking at low volumes on headphones

Input level controls for each RCA input jack. That means a total of 4 controls for the 2 sources. This was done to improve the internal layout, and make it possible to balance the channels independently for each source. Example, I have a great sounding tuner but it's a touch weak on the right channel. I make the correction on the back of the new Taboo and never touch it again. My other source, a DAC, remains unaffected.

BTW - the amplifier will also drive loudspeakers just as it always has, just sound better doing it.

I'll post a picture of the prototype in this thread when I get me camera working next week.

Thanks for the info TEH725, this new amp will undoubtedly be a winner.  This sucker has all the goods!  I read the rest of Steve's post where he mentioned that the new Taboo sounds twice as good as the current version.  That's a scary thought...

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #834 of 1,238
Quote:
I am really interested in the new Taboo's possibilities, but I wonder if it can be made with the white top. I have to say the old typewriter black textured finish is not interesting to me. I would rather have the white top and matching maple like my CSP2+.

I was thinking exactly the same thing until I realized that the new finish probably matches the finish of the plinth on my Classic 1...now do I go nuts and refinish the CSP and ZP3 as well?
eek.gif

Is this the Decware Appreciation thread or the Decware Addiction thread?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #835 of 1,238
Thanks for the info TEH725, this new amp will undoubtedly be a winner.  This sucker has all the goods!  I read the rest of Steve's post where he mentioned that the new Taboo sounds twice as good as the current version.  That's a scary thought...

Sure is scary. I find the Taboo scary good as it is. I'm frankly in disbelief that Steve found so much room for improvement.

On the upgrade option, I really think buy new is the better option. Better to get it all in one piece, than have some kind of 'in between' amp. Purely in my humble opinion of course!

And yep, this is the addiction thread :wink:

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #838 of 1,238
Decware is not taking orders until Spring and with a 3+ wait for production we won't see the new Taboo until Summer
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #840 of 1,238
Yes!! Parts pulled, so close yet so far :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back