Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #811 of 1,238
Quote:
Regarding the CSP:

I'm curious to try the Gold Lion 6922 but it probably won't live up to the super$$$ tubes I've tried: Dario Miniwatt E188CC, Mullard 7308, etc.

Currently I've settled on the tried-and-true Mullard E88CC w/old shield logo. No need to use three. Keep the 6N1P's in the driver slots to save cash (the sound is pretty much identical anyway).

For the rectifier I'm using a Brimar 5R4GY which is great, though the RCA 5U4G (black base) is a good & cheap alternative. Also try the Sylvania or RCA 5Y3GT just to see if you like the 5Y3 sound (I didn't care for the Tung-Sol version but it is a popular choice).

I have really enjoyed the Gold Lion 6922 in the front driver spot on the CSP2+. It pairs up nicely with the stock 61NP's and the Jan Sylvania 5U4G and the USAF-596.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #813 of 1,238
You really have to try combinations of tubes to determine what works for you.  I have tried rectifiers that people love that just didn't work for me.  The Mullard 12at7 is another that didn't sound as good as others in my rig.  Right now I am using:

CSP2+
Rectifier - I am between 596 and a Sylvania 5R4 blackplate.  I tried the well regarded Brimar 5R4GY blackplates but don't like them as much as the other 2.
Power - Supercryo'd 6N1P's.  I tried a bunch of tubes in these slots and liked the 6N1P's the best and the Supercryo's were the best of the 6N1P's I have tried.
Input - I tried a bunch of 6DJ8 variants and stopped with a Telefunken ECC85

Taboo
Rectifier - the 596 is the undisputed champ in my rig.
Drivers - Sylvania EL84's but I need to swap back to the stock SV83's again to compare.
Input - 12BH7 - I have a Sylvania and an RCA that I go back and forth between.  The RCA has a bit more top end while the Sylvania is butter smooth.  I found the 12BH7's in my setup to offer the most clear and linear sound.

I am certain that if you put my amp and preamp in your system this would not be the ideal setup but this is what works for me with my Perfectwave MKII dac and LCD2 headphones.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #814 of 1,238
Hi Setamp,

The Telefunken ECC85 tube in your CSP2+ is a very original and unusual( to me :wink: choice .

I've always liked the sublime midrange from Telefunken tubes though.
How's the bass for your setup?

For my own tuberolling, I've could never get over the lack of bass from Telefunkens.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #815 of 1,238
Quote:
Hi Setamp,

The Telefunken ECC85 tube in your CSP2+ is a very original and unusual( to me
wink.gif
choice .

I've always liked the sublime midrange from Telefunken tubes though.
How's the bass for your setup?

For my own tuberolling, I've could never get over the lack of bass from Telefunkens.

Yep, I went with the Mullard E88CC for that very reason. Satisfying bass. Though the best midrange I've (yet) heard was from a Mullard 7308 (branded ATC). 

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #816 of 1,238
My bass is very good but not quite dialed in as yet.  It is deep and the volume is correct but I need to firm it up just a touch.  That is why I mentioned swapping the SV83's back in.  My mids are excellent with a huge soundstage (especially for the LCD2's) great separation, air and tone.  I should probably leave well enough alone but sometimes I feel my bass is just a bit soft.  This hobby really feeds my obsessive / compulsive personality................

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #817 of 1,238
Thanks to everyone for you thoughts, input, particularly when put into the context of what does well, what does not.  It gave me not only a sense of how the tubes may affect the sound, but what you listen for.  

Special thanks to setamp for two great take aways:

This blog post was incredibly helpful, since they actually listen for some of the exact type of things I do.  

http://oldstockaudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/12bh7-listening-test.html 

And this:
I am certain that if you put my amp and preamp in your system this would not be the ideal setup but this is what works for me ...

For a starting point here's what I went with:

Mullard 7308
Gold Lion E88CC

Mullard 12AT7
Sylvania 12BH7 gray plates 0 getter 

Should do to get me a started for now.  

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #818 of 1,238
I went to the big city for business, and being there I took time to go to a high end audio shop.  I was interested in comparing sources, turntable vs digital.  Sources were fed into 50k of equipment.  I think the speakers were Wilsons and the amps were 300 wpc Mcintosh tube MC2301 monoblocks.  For numerous reasons, I am very happy my elegant CSP2+, Taboo, Klipsch sound.  My system is revealing and easy to listen to for hour and hours. Generally,  I prefer speakers to my LCD2 headphones, though the hps have much more range at the low end.  Their TT had, in my opinion, the best sound.  The 24 bit sound is fantastic, and iPad control is convenient.  The salesman asked me if I had an extensive LP collection.  I do not.  He said a TT is for folks that already have large record collections, and digital would be the best source for me.  The significant investments I make going forward will be in computers, dacs, hard drives, and digital recordings.  
To hear a system like that, and know that my DECWARE is as enjoyable sonically is gratifying for me.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #819 of 1,238
Enjoying Aretha Franklin on my Pro-Ject and the Decware ZP3 and the Leben CS600.

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #820 of 1,238
Are you working to Zu's or HP's tonight?

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #821 of 1,238
Zu Omens tonight for Aretha--yes!

The Beatles are next! New remaster of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Zu Omens all night long. :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #822 of 1,238
From the Decware Forum:

Some of the revisions of the new Taboo MK III that can be applied to existing white Taboo's are:

New Input Stage to increase the amplifiers gain to be closer to other Decware amplifiers eliminating the need for a preamp.

Mod - $100

Changed the input tube from a 12AU7 to a 6922

Mod - $50

Employed a voltage divider in series with the headphone output to increase the usable range of the volume control and further reduce noise.

Mod - $70

Added a second lucid mode circuit (and switch) designed for Planar Headphones that can be used with or without existing lucid mode.

Mod - $150

Modified the power supply and eliminated the choke for a more relaxed sound and more graceful clipping.

Mod - $150

Installed Cryo Treated Beeswax coupling capacitors in place of standard poly film caps for increased resolution, (even higher than VCAPs) and a more organic sound.

Mod - $150

And that's about it.

Mods that will also be found on the new amp that can not be applied are as follows:

Thicker Steel Top Plate for lower vibration / micro phonics making use of NOS tubes a more enjoyable experience on headphones.

Black 1930's typewriter finish.

Bias meters for each output tube so that you can see the condition of the tubes, how well they match, and when the amp clips.

Fully Balanced XLR outputs for headphones in addition to the dual 1/4 headphone jacks, one on each side for convenience.

Dual inputs for two sources - switch located in the front for ease access.

Stepped Attenuator standard for perfect channel to channel tracking at low volumes on headphones

Input level controls for each RCA input jack. That means a total of 4 controls for the 2 sources. This was done to improve the internal layout, and make it possible to balance the channels independently for each source. Example, I have a great sounding tuner but it's a touch weak on the right channel. I make the correction on the back of the new Taboo and never touch it again. My other source, a DAC, remains unaffected.

BTW - the amplifier will also drive loudspeakers just as it always has, just sound better doing it.

I'll post a picture of the prototype in this thread when I get me camera working next week.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #823 of 1,238
I am curious when they will start doing these upgrades and how long it will take.

My taboo has upgraded caps so I think I will skip that one.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #825 of 1,238
That is a possibility, but a pain since my Taboo is finally getting broken in.  Plus, it would result in another 3 month wait in addition to the lost cost if/when I sell mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back