Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #661 of 1,238
A BD-83SE showed up on Craigslist for $400.  Think it worth it?  I don't have a high-end blu-ray player and it would be an opportunity to try a quality CD player into the Taboo rather than a CD transport into the DAC-2.
......and then there is the BD-105 that just came out.  Could put that $400 into a $1200 audiophile source and blu ray player.  Never ends........:p

Good price for a strong audio unit. It dopes Blu-Ray,DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and about everything else I have thrown at it. The SE has beefed up audio specs. It should last a long time too.

The 105 is almost like a receiver it has so many sections to it. Do you need a HP amp? How about a DAC? The SE unit will provide the great transport. If you have all the other components then the 105 will simply duplicate what you have for other items. It will do it beautifully, but more money for the privilege.

AiDee, very interesting about the capabilities of those high end DAC's! I have heard the PWD 1, but not the new one. I liked it but at the price I had better! The Bushmaster may be another one like the Octave where the designer hit on a really strong unit that is reasonably priced. Love to see it when that happens!

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #662 of 1,238
BD-105 vs DAC-2 hooked up to the Taboo.  Whichever one loses gets demoted to home theater and the winner stays in the 2-channel rig 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Good price for a strong audio unit. It dopes Blu-Ray,DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and about everything else I have thrown at it. The SE has beefed up audio specs. It should last a long time too.
The 105 is almost like a receiver it has so many sections to it. Do you need a HP amp? How about a DAC? The SE unit will provide the great transport. If you have all the other components then the 105 will simply duplicate what you have for other items. It will do it beautifully, but more money for the privilege.
AiDee, very interesting about the capabilities of those high end DAC's! I have heard the PWD 1, but not the new one. I liked it but at the price I had better! The Bushmaster may be another one like the Octave where the designer hit on a really strong unit that is reasonably priced. Love to see it when that happens!

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #663 of 1,238
AiDee,

I just received a PWD2 that I will try against my EE Minimax Plus (Burson dual discreet and OPA627 METAL singles).  I will let you know what I find.  I have not been able to find a dac that beats the Minimax Plus in solid state mode since I rolled the opamps - especially the metal can OPA627's.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #664 of 1,238
BD-105 vs DAC-2 hooked up to the Taboo.  Whichever one loses gets demoted to home theater and the winner stays in the 2-channel rig :D

Nothing like being #2! :D Pretty good second place there....

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #665 of 1,238
Out of curiosity, what non-ortho headphones are people using out of the Taboo?  I read that high impedance headphones are best for the CSP but are there low impedance, non-ortho, high watt requirement (low efficiency) headphones out there worth experimenting with in the Taboo?

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #666 of 1,238
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what non-ortho headphones are people using out of the Taboo?  I read that high impedance headphones are best for the CSP but are there low impedance, non-ortho, high watt requirement (low efficiency) headphones out there worth experimenting with in the Taboo?

be careful when using dynamic headphones. The HD800 ans T1 worked well on the Taboo. I also used ot with D7000 but at very low volume setting as it had way too much power and I was always afraid it would blow the D7K but the HD800 and T1 for some reason worked well on the taboo but I still preferred those two on the csp2.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #667 of 1,238
setamp,

Looking forward to your report! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #668 of 1,238
Thanks Frank, I probably won't buy any flagship headphones and definitely won't risk it if a pair of landed on my desk for X-mas.  Looking for ideas on some beater headphones that can take the juice and sound good for under $200-300.  Just to get a flavor of offerings on the dynamic side of things and still be able to use the Taboo rather than acquire another amp.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #669 of 1,238
I've done things in reverse for my CSP2+.

The 80 ohms Beyer DT1350 sounds much better than the 600 Ohms Beyer DT880 on my CSP2+. By better, I mean that a sonic veil has been lifted along with better micro details etc...

The DT1350 has also received positive response over here.

I'm sure that the DT1350 will sound even better on the Taboo which is meant for low impedance cans.

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #671 of 1,238
Nice! That will go well with the rest of the family...

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #673 of 1,238
Quote:

I used a pair of Grado SR-225i's with the Taboo. Excellent sound!

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #675 of 1,238
^ still enjoying those orcas WNBC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back