Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Sep 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #511 of 1,238
Which headphones are you using?

Other owners with the CSP2 + Taboo + HE-500 find that the CSP2 pre-amp delivers more punch to the HE-500 than just the Taboo alone?  I can drive the HE-500 fairly loud but for some recordings the levels are lower and the Taboo would benefit from a pre-amp.

Does anyone use a non-Decware pre-amp with the Taboo?  Blasphemy I'm sure.

Quote:
I have the CSP2+ TABOO combination.  Totally black background.  My Taboo has the vcaps and sometimes after warming up really well, I get a glimpse of what they can do.  I have about 50 hours on em now.  I just changed the rectifier tubes to the something something GT's which the amps were designed for, and they opened up the detail.  I like the visual effect with the smaller GT tube too.  I would highly recommend the CSP2+ for anyone with a Taboo.  The volume control is smooth, and I like the input and output gain controls. 5y3GT rectifiers, Sylvania USA, $30 each.  

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #512 of 1,238
Quote:
My CSP2+ arrived yesterday.  I didn't get to do enough listening to give a full impression, but I enjoyed it.  I'm ready to get my HD650's in and then start my usual tube-rolling voyage.  I'll also eventually get around to posting a picture or two.

Congratulations Jazzerdave!! Mine is right behind you.

BTW, Pictures, or it didn't happen  
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #513 of 1,238
Great to hear these new reports guys.

A CSP2+/Taboo update from yesterday: inserted an RCA 6DJ8 into the driver position of the CSP2. Other tubes on the C remain stock.

Unfortunately the Beyer T1 reverted back toward boring; balanced but much less dynamic. With the stock 6N1P or either of two 6922s I tried so far the T1 is anything but boring.

OTOH, this is the best combination with Taboo (Tung Sol rectifier, stock power tubes, Brimar 12AT7 driver)/LCD2 so far. Seem to be almost back to the transparency and immediacy recently achieved with Taboo alone (with the tubes above), with added punch and possibly even speed from the CSP2.

WNBC - did you audition those Orcas as you mentioned you might?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #515 of 1,238
Top of my list of things to do early October.  Been out of state for all of September and they had limited hours for auditioning at the end of August.  They said I can bring the Taboo to their site so I can hear if their speakers are exactly what I want.  

Quote:
WNBC - did you audition those Orcas as you mentioned you might?

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #516 of 1,238
Sep 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #517 of 1,238
Thanks WNBC. Look forward to your findings...

I took a punt on the Joey Roth Ceramics for my office/study (which is where the headphone rig lives) because I thought their conical shape and unusual material might reduce coloration. And indeed, they probably do - they have clear, detailed upper mids. Unfortunately the rest of the midrange is lean.

Works well with some material but with other material can be 
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #519 of 1,238
Quote:

I use a Decware CSP2+ pre-amp with a non Decware power amp.

Does that count for Blasphemy too? 
biggrin.gif

That would be showing the love to the little people!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #520 of 1,238
Nah, one Decware pre-amp or amp is a blessing, having both is gluttony  
evil_smiley.gif

I'm curious as to what other people are using as a preamp though to their Taboo.  Any issues with having too powerful of a preamp?  Or some finding good preamp options in the vintage realm?  SS vs tube pre-amp?  

Quote:

I use a Decware CSP2+ pre-amp with a non Decware power amp.

Does that count for Blasphemy too? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #521 of 1,238
Well, I mentioned once before I tried my HFA 'Silver' tube preamp with Taboo. Maximum output "30 Volts RMS at clipping" is comparable to the CSP2's 36V (RMS or peak?), which seems like a healthy output power to me!

The combination did not sound good - very flabby and unfocused.

This was early days though. I briefly tried again a month or two ago. I guess the Taboo - its VCAPs burnt in - was much more 'ready': it did a much better job driving my (5 driver, 4-way) speakers this time. The bass was round (not nearly as tight as with the Plinius) and there was noticeable warmth, but altogether it was engagingly musical.

Although I think more efficient, single-driver speakers are probably the Taboo's forté, I could definitely live with this for quiet evening listening sessions.

I don't think I tried the LCD2s or - if I did - there was no 'magic'.

Now I have the CSP2 I will try swapping them round sometime in October and report back.

HFA (Hi Fidelity Audio) was a New Zealand company with a small client base. It specialized in 'high-end' tube gear. I bought my preamp in 1992, and still use it in front of a big Plinius power amp. It is highly neutral, fast, detailed and resolving.

Peter Thomson, the designer, used to drive up and down New Zealand installing (free) upgrades for all his owners every time he thought of a better design. Needless to say this business model was not successful, although keeping in contact with clients and getting constant feedback must have been great informal R & D.

In many ways Steve Deckert reminds me of Peter, except Steve obviously has a successful business model.

I was lucky that I bought mine when it was a mature, evolved product.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #522 of 1,238
MY CSP2+ is awaiting the Wooden base for completion!

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #523 of 1,238
^ Great longbow - not long now 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #525 of 1,238
Quote:

At the rate I'm going, you'll probably get to 5 hours of listening time on your CSP2+/HD650 combo quicker than I will.

I do have to get it here first!.... I ordered it in July!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back