Decision time! Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 or Mytek DSD-DAC?
Aug 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Okay, I am on the fence on which to get. The Mytek has headphones out which I like and DSD file support for the future. The Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 is well received and proven to be a great DAC. The Mytek is new so no reviews yet, but it Mytek is well respected by the Pros. Your thoughts?

Mytek DSD-DAC 

Wyred4Sound DAC2

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the W4S Dac2 so far really good but it is my first real dac. I thought the remote was pretty cheap at first but it does fit in the hand nice and convenient for volume. I see there are a few electrolytic capacitors hidden on the boards. I hope they are not in the signal path. I read the forum for the Mytek dac before I bought the W4S but ruled it out. I didn't like that they said they used the 2nd rate ESS Saber dac chip due to cost.  So I look at it as they made a 2nd rate product and who knows where else they cut corners considering it was a few dollars more to use the top chip like the W4S. I would want to see some glowing reviews before considering it. I do like how the W4S usb connects nicely and instantly compared to my old soundcard.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 14
I have the W4S Dac2 so far really good but it is my first real dac. I thought the remote was pretty cheap at first but it does fit in the hand nice and convenient for volume. I see there are a few electrolytic capacitors hidden on the boards. I hope they are not in the signal path. I read the forum for the Mytek dac before I bought the W4S but ruled it out. I didn't like that they said they used the 2nd rate ESS Saber dac chip due to cost.  So I look at it as they made a 2nd rate product and who knows where else they cut corners considering it was a few dollars more to use the top chip like the W4S. I would want to see some glowing reviews before considering it. I do like how the W4S usb connects nicely and instantly compared to my old soundcard.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Please tell me more.

May 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 14
Anyone compare the two dacs yet?

May 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 14
That's interesting. I didn't know that. Please tell me more.

The Wyred Dac-2 uses the SABRE32 Reference ES9018 chip. By the looks of the Mytek specs they are using the SABRE32 Ultra ES 9016 chip. While I'm sure the ES9016 is a great chip it's not as good as the ES9018.

See link below.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC

May 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
The Wyred Dac-2 uses the SABRE32 Reference ES9018 chip. By the looks of the Mytek specs they are using the SABRE32 Ultra ES 9016 chip. While I'm sure the ES9016 is a great chip it's not as good as the ES9018.
See link below.
http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC

The differences in chip is the least important part when comparing the DACs, the implementation and analog output circuit are what matter.

I also think the Yulong D18 Sabre dac should be thrown into the picture.  Yes it's Chinese made and yes it's cheaper but I'm going to bet it holds it's own or might even be better to some people ears especially those that usually find the SABRE32 dacs too clinical.

May 3, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 14
I agree that the implementation and analog stage outweigh the chip specs alone. In fact, many high-end DACs use tried-and-true chips from years ago. Another common thread is the cheap remote control unit; it's like an afterthought on most of these devices.

I also second that W4S is a great DAC and very easy to resell at a minimal loss.

May 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
The differences in chip is the least important part when comparing the DACs, the implementation and analog output circuit are what matter.

I also think the Yulong D18 Sabre dac should be thrown into the picture.  Yes it's Chinese made and yes it's cheaper but I'm going to bet it holds it's own or might even be better to some people ears especially those that usually find the SABRE32 dacs too clinical.

Hey DrTone,

Thanks for the clarification.

Not to pile on but what about the Eastern Electric Dac Plus? It also has the SABRE32 Reference ES9018 chip and gets good reviews.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 14
yes, i'm mighty curious how the Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC Preamp stacks up in $1500ish DAC pricerange too.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #11 of 14
These are both very nice products, but I'm trying hold out for an Anedio D2. It would still be interesting to read comments though.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 14
I end up getting a Dangerous Music Source. Love it. Def flies under the radar around here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back