Decent budget amplifier for beginner?
Nov 2, 2010 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dalsd

New Head-Fier
I'm making a thread about choosing a decent amp for "audiophile" beginner. I previously used Beyerdynamic DT440 without amp and I, especially in beginning, enjoyed the quality. Few weeks ago I managed to break them and decided to order AKG K 272 HD. This time I was thinking of getting more quality out of my phones and get an amp.

So I'm asking what kind of amp would be right for me? I'm not able to invest too much (all over ~130e sounds too expensive). I mainly listen music on computer so I guess USB is a must.

Thank you in advance.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you have independent sound card?  If you don't have one, I would suggest you get a ASUS STX (or ST), or M-Audio sound card before getting a amp because you mainly listen on computer. If your sound output quality is bad, the amp will greatly amplifier the weak sound quality. If you already have a good sound card, you should try out those DIY amp because is cheaper. (commercial one are all expensive)

If you listening on portable device, all the amp below 200$ are not good enough to get valuable performance out of dt440/AKG 272.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Do you have independent sound card?  If you don't have one, I would suggest you get a ASUS STX (or ST), or M-Audio sound card before getting a amp because you mainly listen on computer. If your sound output quality is bad, the amp will greatly amplifier the weak sound quality. If you already have a good sound card, you should try out those DIY amp because is cheaper. (commercial one are all expensive)

If you listening on portable device, all the amp below 200$ are not good enough to get valuable performance out of dt440/AKG 272.

I thought so, but what if I plug my amp via USB to computer. There's no USB on sound card so the amp itself has a sound card of some sort, right? So far I'm using integrated sound card.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 6
The Fiio E7 sounds like a good choice as you get both a USB DAC which should greatly outperform your integrated sound card and a portable amp that performs rather well (in my opinion, of course) as an amp for $99 or so. Even if you do decide to buy another dedicated amp, you can still use the E7 as a DAC and use the upcoming line out dock for the E7 to transmit line level audio to your new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back