Debunk the Yamaha MT220 Myth
Sep 11, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #46 of 66
  Beyer and Sennheiser are too well established in the studio world to compete. That's the reason. It's a far better headphone than either of those produce. If people would try something new this headphone would dominate. Non replaceable cable was a ridiculous oversight. They kind of deserve to lose just for that. I cut mine off and added a 3.5mm jack.

I heartily agree.
I would take the MT-220 over the HD-650/600 or Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 just about any day of the week.
The Yamaha, to my ears, offer a more optimal balance of detail and musicality than either of the aforementioned, and significantly better dollar value.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #47 of 66
  The MT220's are made for studio use. That's partly why they look so hideous - it doesn't matter. Very few plumbers admire the looks of their pipe benders.

There are very different objectives in music production (and construction) compared to passive listening (audiophile or not).

I use the MT220 for pro music WORK, where they perform brilliantly and accurately, ie part of the process of ensuring a mix/master transfers to a wide range of playback setups from Apple ear buds to to high end home set-ups to radio. No one but an idiot mixes solely on headphones - they're used to check things and troubleshoot much like a magnifying glass.

I've had many many headphones and only these (so far) sound like studio monitors, but with access to a little more detail (if you know what you're listening for).

By the way, you don't see the M50 in studios much - it's mostly Beyer's DT770, DT250 and DT150, none of which are much use for mixing other than checking stereo field. And Sennheisers. MT220's will find their way in.

I don't use the MT220 for general listening as I find them a bit lifeless - not very engaging. But that's exactly the objectivity I need when buried in the details of music production.

I think what the OP is after is a hifi headphone, not a studio tool.

And if people like the MT220 just for listening, what's wrong with that? Especially as these are people who are well aware of other headphones and what they offer.

I also do studio work. Do you have any recommendations on fun, lively headphones at a similar price? (for fun listening..)

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #49 of 66
  Sony 100 AAP is great - check the forums here.

I LOVE the Blue Mofi bit it's rather more pricey.

If you love the Mofi you may like the Lola better. I just bought both, returned the Mofi. They've tuned the Lola a little bit differently and to my ears it pulls more details. The Mofi sounds more audiophile and the Lola sounds more like near field monitors. I chose the Lola. It's also more comfortable.

Both of them surprised me with how good they are!

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #50 of 66

If you love the Mofi you may like the Lola better. I just bought both, returned the Mofi. They've tuned the Lola a little bit differently and to my ears it pulls more details. The Mofi sounds more audiophile and the Lola sounds more like near field monitors. I chose the Lola. It's also more comfortable.

Both of them surprised me with how good they are!

Thanks! I wondered about the Lola but thought it was just a lighter-weight Mofi without the amp. I'll have to try them. Although... my Mofi is the review model, not the retail one, and I'm not sure if there are differences other than the glossy finish. All I know is on my Mofi the amp is too loud.
Anyway thanks for the tip :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #51 of 66

Thanks! I wondered about the Lola but thought it was just a lighter-weight Mofi without the amp. I'll have to try them. Although... my Mofi is the review model, not the retail one, and I'm not sure if there are differences other than the glossy finish. All I know is on my Mofi the amp is too loud.
Anyway thanks for the tip :)

No worries. I keep trying to find flaws with the Lola, but honestly I'm very happy with them. I WISH they sat a little bit flatter against your ears..I'm a little self-conscious walking around with them (they are a bit big) but they check some boxes that I haven't found elsewhere in other phones.

I have my HD650's and a few other open backed for home listening but for walking around and on the go these things are very important to me:

1. Comfort and heat. I don't care if the cans are on or over ear...do they hurt my ears after a couple of hours or do my ears get hot. Most headphones fail on this. The Lola's surprisingly do well. I thought for sure being so heavily padded that my head would get hot, but actually they are cooler than the KEF M500's and Amperiors I was comparing with.

2. Microphonics. So many great headphones are ruined the minute I start walking with them and every footstep is heard thru the headband and speakers! I tend to want to listen quietly when outside. If you happen to get headphones that block out enough external noise you could listen at lower levels...UNTIL you realize that every brush of the cable on your clothes or footstep becomes heard thru the headphones. The Lola are AMAZING in this respect. The drivers are sort of suspended in rubber from the frame eliminating foot step sound. Cable microphonics are very quiet as well. Even tapping on the headband with your hands intrudes much less than any other headphone I've used. This allows me to listen at much quieter levels. Absolute most recent worst for this was the PSB M4U 2's. Tap those guys and they resonated like crazy in your head.

Another note, also have bose qc-15's and 25's and these are ok on planes but the minute you are outside and there is a gentle breeze the mics pick up all the wind noise and this all gets thru to your speakers..dismal failure, but great on planes.

3. Sound Quality. I don't want super analytical for walk around headphones. I want a little bass boost and mid bass bump to drown out ambient noise. Laid back highs as well.

So, how are the MT220's against those criteria?

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #52 of 66

No worries. I keep trying to find flaws with the Lola, but honestly I'm very happy with them. I WISH they sat a little bit flatter against your ears..I'm a little self-conscious walking around with them (they are a bit big) but they check some boxes that I haven't found elsewhere in other phones.

I have my HD650's and a few other open backed for home listening but for walking around and on the go these things are very important to me:

1. Comfort and heat. I don't care if the cans are on or over ear...do they hurt my ears after a couple of hours or do my ears get hot. Most headphones fail on this. The Lola's surprisingly do well. I thought for sure being so heavily padded that my head would get hot, but actually they are cooler than the KEF M500's and Amperiors I was comparing with.

2. Microphonics. So many great headphones are ruined the minute I start walking with them and every footstep is heard thru the headband and speakers! I tend to want to listen quietly when outside. If you happen to get headphones that block out enough external noise you could listen at lower levels...UNTIL you realize that every brush of the cable on your clothes or footstep becomes heard thru the headphones. The Lola are AMAZING in this respect. The drivers are sort of suspended in rubber from the frame eliminating foot step sound. Cable microphonics are very quiet as well. Even tapping on the headband with your hands intrudes much less than any other headphone I've used. This allows me to listen at much quieter levels. Absolute most recent worst for this was the PSB M4U 2's. Tap those guys and they resonated like crazy in your head.

Another note, also have bose qc-15's and 25's and these are ok on planes but the minute you are outside and there is a gentle breeze the mics pick up all the wind noise and this all gets thru to your speakers..dismal failure, but great on planes.

3. Sound Quality. I don't want super analytical for walk around headphones. I want a little bass boost and mid bass bump to drown out ambient noise. Laid back highs as well.

So, how are the MT220's against those criteria?

These are all excellent points!!!

DO NOT get the MT220 for being out and about.
DO NOT trust anyone who states otherwise IMO.

I find the MT220 a fine headphone for home and studio listening only.
Maybe a car or bus would be ok but....

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 66
Nah....it is fine to walk around with it.....if u stuff that coiled cable into a shoulder bag ...lol.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #54 of 66
I have problems walking around with my MT220 because I have to take the case off to fit it into the headphone jack of most of my devices

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #55 of 66
Sorry for the late reply - I was doing several things.

I love the MT220 but they are very different to my Mofi. One is more for work (bit boring sound, Mt220) and one is for enjoying music hyped up a bit (mofi and I the Lola).

Interesting that the audio shortcomings you find in the Lola are exactly those addressed in the Mofi by using the built in amp. The bass boost (optional third setting) is a little too severe but still not like any other bass boost I've heard - it's actually nice, just a bit too much of it. But I say again I have the pre production Mofi and I think they toned everything down a bit. Hopefully.

Thanks very much for posting your thoughts.

I think they are true to their word - the Lola is the mofi minus the amp.

Without the amp the Mofi is still VERY impressive but not quite hitting the mark. Even so, amp off it is my second favourite listening headphone, beaten by the Sony AP100 h.ear.

However, with the amp on, the mofi runs away into 700 or 800 dollar headphone territory, and no desktop amp required. I know Blue microphones and for being relatively new they really are amongst the finest old Røde and AKG mics and the like. They know what they are doing. Master And Dynamic do not, as an upstart example (posh new shouting headphones, sound good but meh, and really shouting - too much 2khz - like an old engineer balanced them with some hearing loss). However, having briefly owned  the Master And Dynamic MH40 I can say I have rarely touched ANYTHING so beautifully made, but I had to send them back to the nice people because the sound was... immature. BANG they went. Not, hello peter, here's some jazz and some massive metal music and Philip Glass. Blue know how to deliver all those wonderfully. Much underrated because people don't try them. I'll stick with me HD600's thanks you very much. Well you're a flat earth idiot then.

RANT finished :)

The Sony AP100 (AAP100?) is an incredibly well judged headphone. Sony learn from all the other models.

I'd say step up to the mofi but then they're too big. So get the Sony.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #57 of 66
Nah....it is fine to walk around with it.....if u stuff that coiled cable into a shoulder bag ...lol.

if you know basic soldering, do what I did. CUT the cable at the ear end (cut it off the curly beginnings) and add a 1/8th FEMALE jack. Now you can use any headphone extension lead you want.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SOLDERED MANY TIMES BEFORE

Get someone else to do it.

I will now repeat this to the other person...

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #58 of 66
  I have problems walking around with my MT220 because I have to take the case off to fit it into the headphone jack of most of my devices

if you know basic soldering, do what I did. CUT the cable at the ear end (cut it off the curly beginnings) and add a 1/8th FEMALE jack. Now you can use any headphone extension lead you want.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SOLDERED MANY TIMES BEFORE

Get someone else to do it.
Oh wait, what? Your headphone jack is big in your input jack because the case of your device has a hole that is too small? Correct? Make the hole in your case a bit bigger then.

Hello? 911? I am currently in a bear trap. I am resigned to it. As an emergency service what advice can you give me?

Stay calm. Try spreading the bear trap to release yourself...

Ok ... Oh that worked thanks bye.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #59 of 66
That Sony is way off my soundtaste....strange hobby :p

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #60 of 66
That Sony is way off my soundtaste....strange hobby
tongue.gif

the ap100? the new one in stupid colours? I like that one a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back