Deathmatch: Beyer880/990 vs. HD600 vs. Denon d2000
Jun 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmhood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.. How does this always happen?? I intended to buy something at this price point but I always head into the next price gap. I've looked at the beyer 880 600ohm. Do they provide a significant improvement over the 32 or 250ohm dt880? These 600 ohm units at $400 from manufaktur, would these cans be playing in the same ballpark as the likes of Denon d5000, hd650 etc?

There is a great thread about this exact subject from not so long ago.FWIR it seem like if you already own ex: a 250 ohms version it (for some people) would'n worth what it cost to get a 600's.But if your getting a new pair from zero you should just get the 600 ohms version as it really offer some little improvements.This is what I kept from this thread.

And for the prize escalating problem , its always like that for me too. I need an headphone amp.I thought i would get something like audio compass or maybe corda from meier and i end up saving for a rudistor model.Same story for my HP....... Dawn that Head-Fi influence !!! This unsatiate about sound quality roaming around finally reach us good !
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmhood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.. How does this always happen?? I intended to buy something at this price point but I always head into the next price gap. I've looked at the beyer 880 600ohm. Do they provide a significant improvement over the 32 or 250ohm dt880? These 600 ohm units at $400 from manufaktur, would these cans be playing in the same ballpark as the likes of Denon d5000, hd650 etc?

The Beyer 600 ohm's at only $319 at Moon-Audio = a very reasonable price.
Yes, they are significantly better than the 32 ohm or 250 ohm DT880's in the fact of bass response, smoother and not as piercing highs and fuller midrange.
The most balanced sounding of all the DT880 models. Still retains the detail and soundstage which the DT880 is known for.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to recable several flavors of the DT770 on several occasions, and it has always FAILED big time(even w/ super neato cryo-parts wire+furutech 1/4").
I will not try it ever again, major waste of time/SQ if you ask me...Beyer calls their drivers "systems", prolly implying that they work together w/ the stock wire FR + cups + ear pads.

Re-cables of 770 is the specialty of Larry at headphile. Amazing work.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re-cables of 770 is the specialty of Larry at headphile. Amazing work.

I'm willing to believe that, but then he prolly tried zillions of wires before finding one that has an identical FR to the stock one...or better, that matches the new FR from his wooden enclosures.

so basically he's asking for ridiculous amounts because you're paying for his R&D.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #21 of 25
My ranking would be:

DT880/2003
D2000
HD600.

Have yet to hear the DT990, though.

DT880/2003: Bass and treble extension, with clarity, detail, impact and transient edge. A tube amp, I think, is essential to getting the best from these headphones. As others have mentioned, tubes warm up and fill out the DT880's midrange quite well.

D2000: Detailed, but "closed"-sounding. Transients ultimately lack "carry" and finish compared to open headphones. But a nice, lively, ever-so-pleasingly forward and engaging listen. Bass was true-to-source, IMHE.

HD600: Alluring, but not as detailed and lively as either the D2000 or DT880/2003 (IMHO). After a/b-ing the D2000 (stock) and HD600 (w/RAL recable) head-to-head, I ended up preferring the D2000.

All of the above observations refer to SE, not balanced, configurations.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer 600 ohm's at only $319 at Moon-Audio = a very reasonable price.
Yes, they are significantly better than the 32 ohm or 250 ohm DT880's in the fact of bass response, smoother and not as piercing highs and fuller midrange.
The most balanced sounding of all the DT880 models. Still retains the detail and soundstage which the DT880 is known for.

CKW,
I've been following your variously sprinkled comments about the DT880/2003 vs. DT880/600 ohm in this and other threads. (Like the woodcutter following Hansel and Gretel's trail of crumbs into the dark woods.)

My dislike for the DT880/2005 (250 ohm) vs. the DT880/2003 was, in part, due to what I perceived as a lack of treble extension in the 2005 version. That corresponded to a depletion of airiness that I had come to associate with the DT880/2003.

Since the rounded cup design is part of the DT880/600 ohm, my suspicion is that their treble response will likewise suffer, too. Again, I think Beyer successfully addressed the lowerish midrange issues with the 2005 version, but sacrificed the treble extension which I had come to prefer in the 2003 version of the DT880. To me, the DT880/2005 sounded bland and mediocre by comparison.

Will you please elaborate, with more precision and detail--inasmuch as it is possible, as-to the specific improvements (in treble, bass, midrange) that you have noted between the DT880/2003 and the DT880/600 ohm? I am thinking about trying the 600 ohm version, but am still rather skeptical about improvements across the board; namely, I feel that the treble response from the 600 ohm version may still be lacking.

Thanks!

PAB

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CKW,
I've been following your variously sprinkled comments about the DT880/2003 vs. DT880/600 ohm in this and other threads. (Like the woodcutter following Hansel and Gretel's trail of crumbs into the dark woods.)

My dislike for the DT880/2005 (250 ohm) vs. the DT880/2003 was, in part, due to what I perceived as a lack of treble extension in the 2005 version. That corresponded to a depletion of airiness that I had come to associate with the DT880/2003.

Since the rounded cup design is part of the DT880/600 ohm, my suspicion is that their treble response will likewise suffer, too. Again, I think Beyer successfully addressed the lowerish midrange issues with the 2005 version, but sacrificed the treble extension which I had come to prefer in the 2003 version of the DT880. To me, the DT880/2005 sounded bland and mediocre by comparison.

Will you please elaborate, with more precision and detail--inasmuch as it is possible, as-to the specific improvements (in treble, bass, midrange) that you have noted between the DT880/2003 and the DT880/600 ohm? I am thinking about trying the 600 ohm version, but am still rather skeptical about improvements across the board; namely, I feel that the treble response from the 600 ohm version may still be lacking.

Thanks!

PAB

The biggest difference between the 03 DT880 and the 600ohm DT880 (no such thing as a 600ohm 03 DT880 AFAIK) is the bass response.
The '03 DT880 is known to be relatively bass lean, although the bass on the 03 DT880 is still deep and detailed, it lacks the quantity of it compared to the 600ohm DT880.
The 600ohm DT880's bass is not boomy by any means and still retail all the tightness and detail in the bass as the 03 DT880 but it just has significantly more of it, making it a more balanced sounding headphone.
The treble can be fatiguing on the 03 DT880 and people have complained about the brightness of the '03 DT880 at times but however, due to the combination of the added bass response and smoother midrange, the brightness isn't really there or noticeable in the 600ohm DT880.

What;s also noticeable is the midrange sounds smoother. It doesn't stab your ears/fatigue as much as the '03 DT880's. That said I know my input gear (Asus Essence STX --> Rockhopper M^3) are both quite warm in nature (yes, there is such a thing as a warm sounding SS amp) but even then, my 600ohm DT880 still sounded warmer and less sterile in the midrange than my '03 DT880's.

It's still very much a DT880 sound signature in detail, soundstage, instrument separation, slow sounding. Handles busy passages with ease.
Both however still suffer from the DT880's biggest flaw: sibilance.

For me, it suits all my needs [multi-genre, gaming,detail, soundstage, lossy file tolerance] perfectly. Only flaw is the sibilance. I chose this over STAX because of the lossy file tolerance (lossy files still noticeably sound like poo but it will be less so than with say STAX) and over the SA-5000 because I wanted a fuller sound [SA 5000 reported to be thing sounding compared to others] and detailed but not hyper detailed.

That said 'synergy' wise, it suits my system well as both are warm components. DT880 pairs well with warm components. Got the best of both worlds in a warm SS amp (all the detail of SS amping and fuller midrange found in the warmness of tube amps without the hassle of tube rolling!)

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 25
CKW,
Thank you very much for your generous response! : )

For me, the DT880/2003's strong suit was their extended, detailed treble, which I never found, nor now find, fatiguing or unduly sibilant. Plus, I tend to prefer a "bright", forward presentation anyway. And as for the bass, I don't actually have the desire for more from the DT880/2003, either.

So, given your impressions of these headphones, I am less anxious to acquire the DT880/600 ohm at this point, but certainly wouldn't mind auditioning a pair, if and when the opportunity arises. Meanwhile, I'll be doubly content with the DT880/2003 . . .

Thanks again, CKW! : )

PAB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back