Death Metal Discussion
Aug 15, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #286 of 650
DarkAngel, yeah, I was referring to In Flames, et al. It was a bit tongue in cheek, as I knew you meant when they were good (which is how I always like to remember bands as well... especially because in metal, it seems so many bands start off with so much to give, and then dumb down their music after 3 or 4 albums
frown.gif
)

I've tried listening to a bit more Dark Tranq, but I really think everything since Gallery falls short of that masterpiece and Skydancer. I really preferred them pre-downtuned guitars and powerchords. It's still good music though, unlike A Sense of Purpose. I agree that the name should have retired with Clayman. Listening to Lunar Strain right now, actually
biggrin.gif

I will have to check out a few of these recommendations (though I just got out of a melodeath phase and have been investigating stuff like Dimmu Borgir and Dissection, thanks to these boards).

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #288 of 650
NSV is very good...but...have you heared The unspoken king ? This album is the final nail in Cryptopsy's coffin, they switched all out to crapcore...the power of money is unlimited...

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #290 of 650
Anyone checked out the new Septic Flesh album?

From the songs I've heard on their Myspace it left me thoroughly impressed.

I need to track down a copy of the album.

Bloody retail stores with their limited Metal section.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #291 of 650
Why does everyone have to bash on bands they like when they make some music they don't really like? Seriously, it is so stupid, immature and infantile. I personally favour post Clayman In Flames to pre Clayman. I find the music more melodic and the vocals a lot better. The two bands I see that bashing on most are Metallica and In Flames, both are two of my favorite bands and I like all their music and I do mean all. So, if you don't like the music, you don't need to bash it, just don't comment. Why waste the space and time?

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #292 of 650
Another note, bands don't play music you want to hear all the time, they play music that they like. It is their band they will play whatever the want to play. And in case you hadn't noticed, they are older now, they can't play that fast all the time anymore and they want a more mellow, melodic sound rather than the fast in your face stuff. Deal with it.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #293 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another note, bands don't play music you want to hear all the time, they play music that they like.

Really? Then why do the sell records? Why do they go touring? Why not just play in their mom's basement like when they were teenagers. Oh, right. Money.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #294 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone checked out the new Septic Flesh album?

From the songs I've heard on their Myspace it left me thoroughly impressed.

I need to track down a copy of the album.

Bloody retail stores with their limited Metal section.

I have love it and gave some impressions at Darkest Desires some time ago, if you can find the digipak version it is worth a couple extra bucks, very nice package.......previous album Summerian Daemons also very good

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #295 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by metllicamilitia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does everyone have to bash on bands they like when they make some music they don't really like? Seriously, it is so stupid, immature and infantile. I personally favour post Clayman In Flames to pre Clayman. I find the music more melodic and the vocals a lot better. The two bands I see that bashing on most are Metallica and In Flames, both are two of my favorite bands and I like all their music and I do mean all. So, if you don't like the music, you don't need to bash it, just don't comment. Why waste the space and time?

No it is providing usefull personal opinions on which albums each person likes, readers can make up thier own minds which CDs they wish to purchase.

Not all albums are equally good especially for groups with a large number of albums made over long period of time.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #296 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Then why do the sell records? Why do they go touring? Why not just play in their mom's basement like when they were teenagers. Oh, right. Money.

I am not even going to get into the stupidity of that statement. There a lot more ways to get money than to be a band.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #297 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it is providing usefull personal opinions on which albums each person likes, readers can make up thier own minds which CDs they wish to purchase.

Not all albums are equally good especially for groups with a large number of albums made over long period of time.

Last time I checked, bashing was still bashing and not 'useful personal opinions.' Also last time I checked personal opinions were personal opinions, not everyone's point of view.

But now your second statement, that is personal opinion and not bashing. Whereas, everything after Clayman sucks, is bashing. If you don't like it, you say you don't like it not sucks. That is difference between personal opinion and bashing. It's not rocket science.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #298 of 650
Metallica sold out to make money.

Disagreeing means you're an ignorant fanboy.

In Flames became metalcore garbage, watering down their already watered down sound to make money.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #299 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In Flames became metalcore garbage, watering down their already watered down sound to make money.

Same old ******** again. Bob Rock screwed Metallica over. Everyone else screwed Metallica over. I am not ignorant, I just happen to know whether or not I like the music I am hearing or not. All In Flames did was play what they wanted to play. As said before, a group of 40 somethings can't play like a group of 20 somethings, and their tastes change, so their music changes with it. People like you who bash bands are the ignorant fanboys who only care about hearing the same damn sound from every single album a band makes. I actually like hearing the music mature. In that case I guess Rush (a rock band not death metal) is the just the biggest sellout band of all time. None of their albums sound the same, they are all different and they were never 'mainstream' they didn't even a song played on the radio until they were around for about 10 years already. And I guess when personal tragedy affects your life and you write differently you've sold out. Tell that to Neil Peart and telling his daughter's and wife's deaths just made Rush sell out. So until you understand that people change, shut up and stop bashing. It pisses me off. I thought I would like this thread but the first damn thing I see is bashing.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #300 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm hoping you're being facetious in respone to metllicamilitia's statement about trolling.

This raises another argument: why is it ok for the majority of professions to make money but the arts can not?

We want everyone to love the music we love until the musicians start earning money.

It's hypocrisy and reeks of double standards. In a perfect world all artists would receive enough money in grants so that they create masterpieces unfettered. Until then we're simply going to have to accecpt the nature of the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back