Death Metal Discussion
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #272 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vergex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gothenburg style melodeath [melodic death metal] would be my favorite form of death - bands such as In Flames or Dark Tranquility is what I typically listen to.

Are you asking for recommendations? Anyway. I like IF and DT, you might want to try:

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium

I'm not a huge fan of doom, but this is a friend's band so shameless plug:
Night Must Fall

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #273 of 650
I'v just discovered a good band you may already know, Demilich, the best thing is that their only album is free for download in lossless on their website, quite original stuff, a sort of technical death/grind with crazy lyrics and vocals...omg the vocals
biggrin.gif

Demilich - Download

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #274 of 650
Would be very good band otherwise, but I HATE the vocals. I dont usually care how the vocals are represented but that... burbing or something... distracts me way too much. It just sounds beyond any measurable scale of sillyness, for me anyway.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #275 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be very good band otherwise, but I HATE the vocals. I dont usually care how the vocals are represented but that... burbing or something... distracts me way too much. It just sounds beyond any measurable scale of sillyness, for me anyway.

Demilich music is cool, but agree those vocals are a bummer.......I generally don't like deep low pitched gutteral style vocals so groups like Incantation - Onward to Golgatha etc are also not liked by me

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #276 of 650
I usually can't stand guttural vocals...i mean...Nile is ok,i'm refering at goregrind stuff like Prostitute Disfigurement and similar acts...but Demilich vocals are different...they are low pitched...but not proper growls...more spoken than sung, controlled and low volume, sunk in the music...so i don't find them annoying...

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #277 of 650
Nile is another group where I don't like the vocal technique used......so I don't collect them either

Quote:

Demilich vocals are different...they are low pitched...but not proper growls...more spoken than sung

Agree it is a strange almost spoken word narrative style, but still not doing much for me. Music is very active with many tempo changes and technical playing ala Cynic or Aethiest, I do like that
redface.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #278 of 650
Mors Principium Est - I like all their albums, but most of all "Inhumanity"!

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #279 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Demilich music is cool, but agree those vocals are a bummer.......I generally don't like deep low pitched gutteral style vocals so groups like Incantation - Onward to Golgatha etc are also not liked by me

I hated the Demilich vocals at first too, but after a while I actually felt that it's one of the best death vox performances ever. The style is unique, fits the music perfectly and gives a nice tone. I suggest that you give it more of a chance, cause it's likely to grow for you.

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #280 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hated the Demilich vocals at first too, but after a while I actually felt that it's one of the best death vox performances ever. The style is unique, fits the music perfectly and gives a nice tone. I suggest that you give it more of a chance, cause it's likely to grow for you.

The "problem" with the vocals for me is that they have no sinister or evil atmosphere to match the music......just sounds like a giant tone deaf frog

They are unique , but............

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #281 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mors Principium Est - I like all their albums, but most of all "Inhumanity"!

Yes agree MPE & Insomnium are two of the best new nordic melodic death bands, but competion is fierce from the great 1990s golden age nordic bands

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #282 of 650
i like technical/prog stuff..
Atheist
Death
Quo Vadis
Theory in Practice
Edge of Sanity's Crimson
Symbyosis

Other death metal is ok.

edit: if you're including melodeth, also like many bands from that genre although many become very generic and I enjoy the above bands more.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #283 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes agree MPE & Insomnium are two of the best new nordic melodic death bands, but competion is fierce from the great 1990s golden age nordic bands

Not right now it's not, heheh. Have you heard the tripe they're putting out these days?
tongue.gif

But yes, the melodeath that came out at the inception of the genre was incredible.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #284 of 650
PW
If you are referring to new In Flames etc
yes it is sad that they didn't retire the band after Clayman and start a new band for the watered down stuff they play now
frown.gif

I should clarify I was also referring to albums they made in 1990's, there was a ton of great stuff back then

Dark Tranquility is still pretty good but MPE and Insomnium are carrying the torch now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back