Dealing with persistent Debt collector
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm pissed. Somehow a debt collector firm got my cell phone number looking for someone else. This have been going on for the last 6 months. I can't detect it since they always call using private number. Problem is I occasionally received calls from overseas which shown as private number too. I have screamed, bitched, called them names and yet they keep calling me. I understand that most of people called by debt collector will try to avoid, but if they got into a voice mail with different name, that should be a sign the person they're looking for doesn't have the phone or give them a wrong phone number.
I want to sue these bastards for calling my cellphone. My cellphone is registered in do not call list. Any idea on
1. finding out which firm calling me
2. what should I collect to file a lawsuit

Changing my number is not an option, I've been using this number for the last 5 years.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 25
Well, my first steps (in case you haven't done this already) would be:
1) Act very conciliatory and agreeable when you answer the phone and ask them who they are with (hopefully they'll reveal the name of the firm)
2) Then tell them your situation and that you intend to sue them if they don't stop calling

If you haven't tried that yet, give it a shot - nobody wants to be sued.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 25
First be extra nice. These people make very little money and are not responsible for the firms policys. Keep them on the phone As long as possible. Tell them you want to pay this debt and had no idea it was out there. Ask about electronic transfers becuase you want to pay this as soon as possible. Put them on hold, tell them you need to get your checkbook. Find out how much and who to make the check out to and where to send it. After all that is done and you have appologized, tell the person they were very nice and ask for their name.

Casually ask btw what is this debt for, than you lace into them

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deal with it or pay up sucker.

Hes not the one that owes money. Theyre calling him by mistake,thinking hes another person.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deal with it or pay up sucker.

What a moron, go back to your writers job and stay on your parent's basement.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 25
get one of these for next time they call:
airhorn.jpg

i've always wanted to do that!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 25
Wow, I guess I did overestimate how often people actually read an entire thread before posting in it.

To the OP, the suggested tactics should work well. Once you say the word "sue" the person on the other end of the phone will be much more willing to put an end to the calls, or they'll quickly put you through to the person who can. It's funny how quickly some people will change their actions when the possibility of having to defend them in court presents itself.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwell2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I guess I did overestimate how often people actually read an entire thread before posting in it.

Apparently he didn't even read the first sentence. DUH
mad.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 25
I've recently been issued a new phone number and it seems the previous owner owed money all over town, occasionally I get these calls and have had no problem explaining that the person they ate looking for no longer owns this number. The callers have all been understanding about it, I suppose it helps that the person they are looking for is an african american female which I quite audibly am not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back