Deal Alert! Head-Direct RE0 $79 for Thanksgiving.
Nov 22, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #196 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the RE0 for over a week now and I have to say that I expected more from them.

maybe return them and try out the Hippo VB. from the impressions so far, they seem to be the alternative the RE0 with similar strengths but a different overall sound signature for those who just don't prefer the sound signature of the RE0. apparently it has more bass, but is still punchy, and has slightly better mids, but not as good highs.

again, this is just from what i've read. i do not own the Hippo VB so i cannot compare them to the RE0.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #197 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe return them and try out the Hippo VB. from the impressions so far, they seem to be the alternative the RE0 with similar strengths but a different overall sound signature for those who just don't prefer the sound signature of the RE0. apparently it has more bass, but is still punchy, and has slightly better mids, but not as good highs.

again, this is just from what i've read. i do not own the Hippo VB so i cannot compare them to the RE0.

I have had mine for about 3 days, will they accept returns? I think I would like to return mine and get the X4.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #198 of 334
I had my RE0 for about a week now. I was expecting a weak bass but that was not the case. While the bass still lacks a bit of impact/slam, the bass is well defined and controlled. Proper fit is not only important to get good bass, but to get the best sound out of the RE0. What I like about the RE0 is the wide soundstage, excellent mids, detail with crystal clarity and sparkly highs albeit a little bit forward in it's presentation. Overall I say these are one fine IEM for a bargain price of $79.00. Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #199 of 334
I have noticed that to some these RE0 are not all they have been cracked up to be. Not many people actually rave about how good they are and how they actually like the sound. Most of the comments are they sound like more expensive phones but not acutually that they like the sound they make. As we know, more expensive doesnt necessarly mean "we like" the sound better. I guess if you are looking for "monitors" these are what they should be; a flat response for professional applications. This is why expensive monitor phones are for professional studios and bands but dont necessarly give comfortable listening - (if your at a mixing desk you want a flat response). I think we use the term IEM too loosely when infact a lot of the phones in this forum are not actually IE(Monitors). I think the REO from what I have heard a true IEM and perhaps the other phones are IEH (In ear headphones). Its not correct to use the term IEM and say it has extended base as its not a monitor phone if it does.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #200 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by elanma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed that to some these RE0 are not all they have been cracked up to be. Not many people actually rave about how good they are and how they actually like the sound. Most of the comments are they sound like more expensive phones but not acutually that they like the sound they make. As we know, more expensive doesnt necessarly mean "we like" the sound better. I guess if you are looking for "monitors" these are what they should be; a flat response for professional applications. This is why expensive monitor phones are for professional studios and bands but dont necessarly give comfortable listening - (if your at a mixing desk you want a flat response). I think we use the term IEM too loosely when infact a lot of the phones in this forum are not actually IE(Monitors). I think the REO from what I have heard a true IEM and perhaps the other phones are IEH (In ear headphones). Its not correct to use the term IEM and say it has extended base as its not a monitor phone if it does.

I think your understanding of the term "IEM" is not quite correct. I believe that your understanding of a "monitor phone" is not quite correct, to be more precise, especially due to the last sentence you write here.

The RE0 is a very accurate phone, but that does not mean that it has no bass. There is much more bass (both in extent and amplitude) than I had expected there to be, it just doesn't stand out. I think the reason why there aren't many people "raving" about the strengths of this phone is that there really isn't much that stands out to "rave" about... and that is the biggest strength of the RE0, in my opinion. There's nothing exciting about them, there's nothing that makes you sit up and say "wow, that X is really strong!". They just play music well, period.

There are many, many phones out there which have something that sticks out... and it is this something which is often touted, at first, as the particular "strength" of the phone. Yet, it is also this very same something which is later recognized as problematic, because it stands out too much. In other words, phones like this are not natural. I believe the RE0, however, is a very natural phone, and therefore has no single characteristic which really stands out.

So, I guess there could be more people who could chime in and say "Wow, I notice absolutely nothing about these phones! That's amazing!"

...but I imagine that this wouldn't be very useful, nor received very well.
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #201 of 334
Were both correct then, these are therefore true monitors as nothing stands out. The definition of Monitor speakers are for "Monitoring" sound, not perhaps for listening and reflecting peoples own preferences. They are flat because if your operating a mixing desk or replacing monitor speakers with in ear monitors you dont want a coloured sound that emphasises any particular frequency. I guess you can use the equaliser for that. So they are not "wow" phones but infact true to the source material so infact they should be good with all genres and free to adjust via the equaliser to your own preference. So I guess thats why they dont appeal to all tastes but more than likely they play the source material how the artist meant it to be heard. Right I've decided I am getting a pair
atsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #202 of 334
^It should be mentioned that I'm using an E5 with the bass boost on, however. I forgot this part... lol However, there is no other eq-ing that I'm applying.

I think you'll be very happy with the RE0. If you're looking for natural phones, I can't imagine anything better for the price. These things remind me a lot of my HD600; I'm really quite surprised by their neutrality and overall ability to recreate music without coloring anything!

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #203 of 334
People seem to be confusing "having a flat response" with "not being musical". To me, the RE0 are hugely musical despite having a flat response. TopPop is right - for me, the wow-factor of the RE0 lies in how they can disappear completely and just leave you with the music as it was intended to be presented. Needless to say, that is not what many people look for in an earphone.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #204 of 334
Any comparisons between the RE0 and Klipsch S4?

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #205 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the wow-factor of the RE0 lies in how they can disappear completely and just leave you with the music as it was intended to be presented.

Precisely what I'm looking for. I think you sold just sold me...

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #206 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comparisons between the RE0 and Klipsch S4?

Just added the S4 to my IEM review thread (link in sig). If you want to know anything in particular I can probably go into more detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaLastShot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely what I'm looking for. I think you sold just sold me...

Head-Direct needs to start sending me checks or something...
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #207 of 334
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People seem to be confusing "having a flat response" with "not being musical". To me, the RE0 are hugely musical despite having a flat response. TopPop is right - for me, the wow-factor of the RE0 lies in how they can disappear completely and just leave you with the music as it was intended to be presented. Needless to say, that is not what many people look for in an earphone.

+1

Nov 23, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #208 of 334
In my case it's taken forever to get to spain. Note that i don't have them yet...

Timing Site Status
  2009-11-13 15:43:00 SHANGHAI Posting
  2009-11-13 15:58:00 31 Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-11-13 23:09:29 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-11-14 01:30:47 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-11-21 17:58:00 SPAIN MADRID AP Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-11-21 17:58:00 SPAIN MADRID AP Handed over to Customs

And I wonder, where the hell has it been in the meantime between shangai and madrid?
Flying? Swimming? Lol

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #210 of 334
Zaero, I have it worse than you,

Timing Site Status
  2009-11-13 15:33:00 SHANGHAI Posting
  2009-11-13 15:58:00 31 Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-11-13 23:09:29 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-11-14 01:04:02 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-11-19 14:10:34 SHANGHAI Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-11-19 20:42:36 SHANGHAI Despatch from Sorting Center
despatched from Shanghai twice? Why!? I have a feeling I'm not gonna get these until December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back