DEAL ALERT (for Canadians): Shure SRH750DJ at Future Shop for only $129
Jun 16, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 22
I have been in the market for some nice sub $200 headphones for a while now. These seem, from your description, like quite good headphones for the price. I was wondering if there were any better headphones at the $125-$150 ish price range which would suit what I usually listen to, or if, for the price, these phones are the way to go for myself. I will mostly be listening to these on my computer which has a hauppauge win tv hvr-1800 card that came with it (media center PC that I use for everything).

Usually, I listen to (in no particular order): hardstyle, prog metal/rock, space rock/metal, thrash metal, hardcore punk, hardcore techno, psy/goa trance, hard trance, instrumental metal/rock, doom metal, speed metal, stoner metal, funk metal, and some drum and bass. I guess that and similar styles of music pretty much sum it up.

One problem I seem to have with many headphones and earbuds I have owned is that the wire will break all too often. I really like how these have detachable cables. I do want to buy my pair of headphones from futureshop because i do have two gift cards there and am poor. Considering the 840's are $250 from futureshop, I'll pass on those. As you can probably tell (quite easily), I am not much at all of an audiophile (yet) but I do want a nice pair of headphones that will last me a while, sound good, and not set me back a couple hundred.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
I have been in the market for some nice sub $200 headphones for a while now. These seem, from your description, like quite good headphones for the price. I was wondering if there were any better headphones at the $125-$150 ish price range which would suit what I usually listen to, or if, for the price, these phones are the way to go for myself. I will mostly be listening to these on my computer which has a hauppauge win tv hvr-1800 card that came with it (media center PC that I use for everything).

Usually, I listen to (in no particular order): hardstyle, prog metal/rock, space rock/metal, thrash metal, hardcore punk, hardcore techno, psy/goa trance, hard trance, instrumental metal/rock, doom metal, speed metal, stoner metal, funk metal, and some drum and bass. I guess that and similar styles of music pretty much sum it up.

One problem I seem to have with many headphones and earbuds I have owned is that the wire will break all too often. I really like how these have detachable cables. I do want to buy my pair of headphones from futureshop because i do have two gift cards there and am poor. Considering the 840's are $250 from futureshop, I'll pass on those. As you can probably tell (quite easily), I am not much at all of an audiophile (yet) but I do want a nice pair of headphones that will last me a while, sound good, and not set me back a couple hundred.

The Shures should suit you music tastes quite well. The SRH840 will be a better choice IMO, if you got some sort of an amp and a decent source and also we you can stretch your budget to around $200 and again have an amp and a decent source, I highly recommend German Maestro GMP 8.300 D. But for use unamped, the SRH750 may indeed be your best bet.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 22
Okay, I bought a pair of the SRH750DJ on friday and have used them for on average 5 hours every day so far. I have noticed quite a bit of change after this much use and really enjoy the sound on them. My only complaints on them are: they are not deep enough for my ears, the sound isolation isn't the greatest, and the headband starts to annoy my head after a while of use. *sigh* I could have bought a 66cc engine kit for my bike instead of these (not that I regret buying these)...whatever. Time to get a job.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 22
The approximate frequency response of the SRH750 to my (fairly good) ears:

As you can see, there is a significant peak from 2 - 5 kHz. That's what really bothers me.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 22
those darn Canadians ~_~

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #22 of 22
Ok, these seem to improve quite a bit with burn in. I have around 100 hours on them right now and the sound seems much more controlled than it was before. The bass is tighter and softer - it doesn't sound overemphasized now, just nice and powerful. The upper mids and treble are still a bit elevated, but not harsh or thin anymore. Also imaging seems a bit sharper now. Going back to more neutral 'phones, I now start to miss the bass power and the sparkly treble of the SRH750. These are very nice cans indeed. Very musical and involving, yet still reasonably accurate. They are definitely worth their asking price, even the MSRP. Two thumbs up for Shure, although I wish the isolation was a little better and also the headband is not very well constructed and produces pretty loud creaking, which can be very annoying especially when listening in bad at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back