dCS Ring DAC - A Technical Explanation
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #151 of 187
I’m not sure what to say. Chords have only WTA filter. This filter is not perfect (because it needs to be endless for that), but in my opinion it is “long” enough to be considered “ring-free” for practical purposes. I don’t know how other filters will work for me.

Anyway, I have not yet seen a DAC which would play downsampled file better or completely equal to original DXD recording. Even with M Scaler (which upsamples everything to 705,6 or 768) the difference between native DXD and downsampled to 24/96 is still there.

I believe the majority of hi-res denial is from incorrect understanding of Nyquist theorem. This theorem tells us that double sampling frequency is enough to fully recreate original signal, but it never promised that real world DAC in your rack would be able to do it.
Forgot to mention. I'm not fond of sinc filters (just doesn't sound good for my tastes).

By pre ring free apodizing filters, I was asking the ones that are present in dacs like these

http://s-audio.systems/focus/?lang=en

http://www.junilabs.com/en/kits/jundacxi.html

Or the ifi gto filter. I really like the filter named "super slow" on my akm dap, and on pc I use something quite custom.

Note: sorry for mentioning other dacs here, I added just for reference as they have charts/graphs for the filter structure in their page.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #152 of 187
Anyway, I have not yet seen a DAC which would play downsampled file better or completely equal to original DXD recording. Even with M Scaler (which upsamples everything to 705,6 or 768) the difference between native DXD and downsampled to 24/96 is still there.
Could be the result of the software that was used to downsample from DXD.

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #153 of 187
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #155 of 187

Part 6 – Filter Design in ADCs and DACs​

How do the digital audio filters discussed in Part 5 work, and how should they be designed? This may sound counterintuitive, but the filtering required in both ADCs and DACs is actually very similar.

In an ADC, the audio is coming into the converter at a higher rate than we want to output – typically by a power of 2. To deal with this, the converter must remove content above the Nyquist frequency, which allows it to drop samples (allowing it to lower the sample rate from 88.2k to 44.1k for example) without content from above the Nyquist frequency aliasing down below it. This is handled in Digital Signal Processing by way of low-pass filtering.

In an oversampling DAC, audio is coming in at a lower rate than we want to feed to the converter. There are several approaches for how to tackle this issue, but by far the most effective is to insert samples with an amplitude of zero between the actual audio samples to increase the sample rate, then low-pass filter the signal to remove the Nyquist images this process creates. Once again, DSP is used to implement low-pass filtering.

How is this digital low-pass filtering carried out? In simplified terms, the digital audio signal is run through a series of ‘coefficients’ – multipliers which change the amplitude of the audio sample by an amount, defined by a number between 0 (no output) and 1 (the original full amplitude of the sample). Each of these coefficients is what is referred to as a ‘tap’. A higher number of taps means the signal is run through a larger amount of coefficients in the filter. The output of the filter at any one point is the sum of all of these coefficients multiplied by the respective samples.

Audio websites and magazines often feature ‘impulse response’ plots of filters in audio products. These typically show the output from a filter when it is given samples, all with an amplitude of zero, then a single full-scale (all 1s) sample, then all zero samples again. The effect of this is to show the coefficients in a filter, which define how the filter works. Typically, this filter is a derivative of what is known as the ‘sinc’ function. The sinc function is defined as sin(x)/x and looks a little like the below graph.

1632504065131.png

There are several useful properties of the sinc function – it acts as an ideal low pass filter (the set of coefficients used in a digital filter, as previously described, are taken from this function, hence the Y axis being shown as ≤1, which will be shown below); it is mirrored in time in both directions (before and after the impulse, the single full-scale sample shown in the middle of the above sinc graph) and it offers the same delay at all frequencies (not all filters do this). An analogue filter will delay some frequencies more than others, creating phase issues. Filters which offer the same delay at all frequencies are referred to as phase linear.

Given these factors, the sinc function can be manipulated to provide the desired frequency response. The three main factors that can be adjusted with digital filters are:

• The -6dB point – the frequency at which the filter reaches 6dB of attenuation.
  • The filter length – the number of coefficients used in the filter, with one coefficient often being referred to as a ‘tap’.
  • The windowing technique – this is linked to both of the above factors (this is a simplified explanation).

Cutoff Frequency (-6dB Point)​

To explore the factor of the cutoff frequency of a filter, take the below graph, which shows the most commonly used digital filter. This is a ‘half-band’ or ‘Nyquist’ filter, with coefficients based off of the sinc function. This filter is designed in such a way that the -6dB point is at the Nyquist frequency of our target. For a low-pass filter in, for example, an ADC, the Nyquist frequency is set at 22.05kHz. For a tap length of 128, this generates the below impulse response.

1632504078053.png

The crucial aspect of this filter is that every other coefficient (the data points on the graph marked by an X) is 0 – which makes it twice as computationally effective as a non-Nyquist filter (as using a coefficient of 0 always results in an output of 0). The drawback to this type of filter is that by definition it only reaches 6dB attenuation at the Nyquist frequency. Thus, aliasing artifacts from the ADC which will be mirrored down to below Nyquist frequency will not be correctly attenuated. We would therefore ideally want the -6dB point to be below the Nyquist frequency, to remove said aliases and to maintain good attenuation at the Nyquist frequency.

1632504086942.png

Windowing Technique​

There are some drawbacks to using the sinc function as the basis for a digital filter – firstly, the filter would be infinitely long (due to the sinc function being a mathematical function with no defined length), which is problematic in the real world. It also requires data from the future, as the filter coefficients include data from before the current sample being played. So how should these issues be addressed?

A good start would be to define the filter as not infinitely long. Doing so would allow the incoming audio signal to be buffered by a certain number of samples. This means the filter can then effectively have some data from the ‘future’ by delaying the entire audio signal by that amount of samples.

However, defining the filter with a finite length leads to some mathematical problems – the sinc function starts to get very small when moving further away from the central impulse, but not so small that the function becomes irrelevant. Sinc is infinitely long, but it is unwise to simply select a finite section of the sinc function to use as the basis for a filter, chopping off the ‘start’ and ‘end’ of the function to create a finite length. Doing so actually causes the resultant filter to not work very well. The below graph shows an example of a digital low-pass filter designed to work for CD rate audio, with a tap-length of 64 taps, where the ends of the sinc function have simply been chopped off to provide the coefficients used in the filter.

1632504101816.png

As can be seen from this graph, this filter does not provide a good response. The stop-band rejection above 22.05kHz is poor, and there is a significant ripple in the passband (below 22.05kHz). This problem is best addressed through a technique called ‘windowing’. This involves taking the coefficients for the filter we want to use, such as a finite section of the sinc function, and then multiplying them by another set of coefficients to reduce the negative effects seen above.

There are many approaches to windowing (different sets of functions / coefficients) used, but for this example, a raised cosine window will be used.

1632504114358.png

This diagram shows an example of a Raised Cosine window.

Applying this window to the above 64-tap filter results in the below frequency response:

1632504129985.png

As can be seen, this provides drastically better results. The stopband has far better rejection and the rippling seen in the passband is no longer present. What this means is that when designing a filter for use in audio, the windowing function needs to be selected carefully for correct filter performance.

Filter Length​

The third factor to consider with filter design is the length of the filter itself. As previously discussed, we need to filter the output of a DAC to prevent imaging. This filter needs to be a finite length – longer than nothing but not infinitely long. If this is not done and no filtering is carried out to the DAC’s output, and the samples are played back as they come in, the result is not ideal:

1632504143782.png

This graph shows the frequency response of a Non-Oversampling (NOS) DAC with no filter on the output.

As discussed in the previous article, a filter for 44.1k digital audio should not affect signals below 22.05kHz, but should heavily attenuate them above this. With no filter in place, not only is there very little attenuation above 22.05kHz (thus leading to lots of false high frequency components), we are also affecting the signal we are interested in: the frequency response at 20kHz is -3dB.

So, how long should the finite length filter on the DAC output be? To illustrate this factor, the same previously mentioned Nyquist filter with a raised cosine window will be used. Firstly, a 32 tap filter:

1632504154986.png

1632504169920.png

As can be seen from the above graphs, the frequency response is still far too droopy to be appropriate for use – at 20kHz, the response is still down about 2.8dB. Attenuation for images above 33kHz (or for images in the region of 0-11kHz) are 50dB down. The transition band width is in the region of 20kHz.

Next, the same Nyquist filter with a raised cosine window will be used, but this time with a length of 256 taps:

1632504179641.png

1632504183577.png

This response is visibly much better. The pass-band response is very flat up to 20kHz, and the transition band is approximately 4kHz wide. Images above 22.05kHz are supressed nicely. Looking at the impulse response however, it can be noted that much more data from before the current sample is playing is required. As such, a larger number of samples from ‘the future’ are required for this filter and will subsequently be having an impact on the current sample, and more samples from ‘the present’ will have an impact later on.

Lastly, using the same example upped to 1024 taps:

1632504196091.png

1632504200226.png

As can be seen here, lengthening the filter has a few effects. Firstly, the transition band has become much narrower, so there is less out of band energy. There are, however, some negative effects – because there are more coefficients performing more multiplies, the stopband noise rejection is actually starting to degrade. Noise is beginning to accumulate in the stop-band (which can be partly compensated for with the windowing). There are also now a large amount of samples from the ‘future’ being used (in this example of 2014 taps at 44.1k, around 11mS worth) and an equal amount will be affected in the ‘past’. The effects of these factors are debatable, but where these samples come from has to be considered. With that in mind, a good real-world example…

dCS 904 – 44.1k, Filter 1​

1632504209719.png

This graph shows the frequency response of the dCS 904 running at 44.1kS/s using Filter 1.

This graph shows the filter frequency response from a very capable ADC, used in many recordings – a dCS 904. The first thing to note about this example is that it doesn’t use a Nyquist filter like the examples above. The attenuation by the Nyquist frequency is 20dB. This is important as an ADC, by definition, deals with signals that are not bandlimited. The final filter is around 100 taps long, meaning that effectively there is little to be gained from using a much longer filter on replay (inside the DAC). Considering what this response means, the following chart is helpful:

1632504224422.png

This graph helps to illustrate the area of uncertainty caused by this filter. In the intersecting area, it isn’t possible to differentiate between real signal and an alias. As such, use of excessively long filters here leads to heavy use of DSP to preproduce what is effectively the transition band of the ADC – signal which is undesirable, and unknown.

What this stands to show is that with digital filter design, the signal chain as a whole needs to be considered, as opposed to just the DAC in isolation. DAC filters which are likely to work well with realistic ADC filters are ideal – in reality the use of a filter which is either not present, too short or too long in a DAC can have detrimental effects. Filter length of course must be balanced with the other factors described above, which is where good engineering comes into play – understanding how to employ the necessary trade-offs to create a set of filters which work well regardless of what content is thrown at it. This is the reason a dCS DAC has so many filters to choose from – the DAC doesn’t (and can’t) know the filters which were used to create the signal, so several options allow the user to achieve the best musical experience irrespective of source material.

dCS’s experience with both ADCs and DACs leaves us in a very strong position to be able to create DAC filters which consistently perform to the highest standards, both in testing and with real-world musical signals.

dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Sep 24, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #156 of 187
Really? 🤣

I have few albums in DXD, purchased from nativedsd.com:
Paper Motion
Mozart: Divertimento KV 563
Berlioz – Symphonie fantastique, Op. 18
Bach: Toccatas, Preludes and Fugues

I was curious and listened to these albums in different bitrates via three different DACs: Chord Qutest, TT2, DAVE and each time DXD sounded clearly better than 24/96 or 24/192 records. Better sense of space, better transients, better perception of small details.

What DXD-recorded albums on what equipment have you listened to in order to come to the conclusion that there is no benefit to end user?
umm, so this test dismisses itself simply due to all three products being Chord.

Yes you experienced a different sound.
I am not attacking (you) here, just throwing .02$ into the mix.

My limited use of Chord products (that I fully love/enjoy) led me to believe they certainly do not play back ‘honestly’ to the input source (and in a good way).
I feel with your trial above you effectively ‘de-“chord”-ed’ the sound;
the results experienced certainly sounds like what you would get if you did....
(.interestingCCCF856F-C923-4682-9CAE-19730A4F61C1.png)

ah, my keyboard ‘locked up’ and was undefeatable, until I screen grabbed and posted the shot.

i closed my parenthesis/bracket, but my thoughts have flown on.
a mind is a terrible thing to waste :wink:

thankyou for sharing dxd experience (with Chord)

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #157 of 187
I don’t know theory behind these conversions well enough to say which software is good, which isn’t. Although listening experience was very clear to me.
Would be awesome if you could do the same test comparing dxd and downconverted pcm (without passing through a low pass filter, sometimes they do it) and then playing this downconverted pcm on a pre ring free, apodized filter (like ifi gto).

I generally don’t prefer and can quite easily hear when a sinc filter is used, especially for redbook CD.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #158 of 187
umm, so this test dismisses itself simply due to all three products being Chord.
I have a Holo May right now. It’s absolutely different DAC: R2R instead of DeltaSigma, NOS instead of Chord’s oversampling with complicated filter. And still I hear the same thing - DXD sounds better than 24/96 and much better than 16/44,1.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #159 of 187
I wasn’t disagreeing with ye being able to hear a difference; and just noted especially that the differences you described, certainly align with my experience of what a Chord DAC makes to the sound, (which is very musical, almost lumping the notes perfectly together), and that when you fed the ‘hi res DXD’; it became like an analytical device (ie de’chorded).

’spose its why some people want spec sheet perfection, and/or clinical devices, and ‘another school of purchases’ lean towards musicality.

I replaced my Chord to an iFi Diablo; which was much more ‘honest’ to the recorded sound (not necessarily ‘musically pleasing’).
(then I discoved the GTO filter and got more than I’d hoped for... (very happy camper)).

of course a musically pleasing r2r DAC is on the ‘Christmas list’ cause, well, carrot in front of the donkey..

I wasn’t picking, truly, just acknowledging that sound sounding different is a thing.
its why i convert my 44khz redbook to dsd (into a Sony PHA3, cause it seems to ‘like it’)

I have no issues with the notion that dxd is a more capable storage file.
of course it might not be practical for everyones phones (storage size), where ‘re-engineered to aac’ gives ‘pleasing results’.

sadly humans by their randomness in upbringing and different skillsets they bring to ‘appreciating audio’ means ‘we are not scientific’; even if we are scientific in our methodologies interpreting sound (music).
science requires 100% reproducable results. 7 billion individual opinions means audio has a pretty big grey zone where we disagree (eg conductors have trained ears (/brains) that are more attuned, to ‘cant hear beyond 320kbps compressed (its transparent)’, to ‘cables dont matter’ to ‘all transports are equal’....)

seven

billion

people

of course dxd is better. but not everyone will know (and most arent going to care)

what i like is that ‘overkill quality’ ensures that it can be turned into mass market consumer formats and/or played back on ‘ever cheapening kit’ and SOME of the ‘goodness’ might remain.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #160 of 187
I have a Holo May right now. It’s absolutely different DAC: R2R instead of DeltaSigma, NOS instead of Chord’s oversampling with complicated filter. And still I hear the same thing - DXD sounds better than 24/96 and much better than 16/44,1.
It sounds more like Delta-Sigma DACs, being compared frequently to Delta-Sigma DACs (Chord being targeted in first place). It does a lot of DSP processing aimed to randomize linearity errors.

Marketing is misleading. It is not R2R, rather a segmented ladder architecture with additional compensation ladder. Neither is NOS, as DSP filtering is deployed also in so called "NOS mode".

All these reasons are behind that a sound of DXD is (much) better. Take a real NOS DAC, results can be different.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #161 of 187
I wasn’t disagreeing with ye being able to hear a difference; and just noted especially that the differences you described, certainly align with my experience of what a Chord DAC makes to the sound, (which is very musical, almost lumping the notes perfectly together), and that when you fed the ‘hi res DXD’; it became like an analytical device (ie de’chorded).

’spose its why some people want spec sheet perfection, and/or clinical devices, and ‘another school of purchases’ lean towards musicality.

I replaced my Chord to an iFi Diablo; which was much more ‘honest’ to the recorded sound (not necessarily ‘musically pleasing’).
(then I discoved the GTO filter and got more than I’d hoped for... (very happy camper)).

of course a musically pleasing r2r DAC is on the ‘Christmas list’ cause, well, carrot in front of the donkey..

I wasn’t picking, truly, just acknowledging that sound sounding different is a thing.
its why i convert my 44khz redbook to dsd (into a Sony PHA3, cause it seems to ‘like it’)

I have no issues with the notion that dxd is a more capable storage file.
of course it might not be practical for everyones phones (storage size), where ‘re-engineered to aac’ gives ‘pleasing results’.

sadly humans by their randomness in upbringing and different skillsets they bring to ‘appreciating audio’ means ‘we are not scientific’; even if we are scientific in our methodologies interpreting sound (music).
science requires 100% reproducable results. 7 billion individual opinions means audio has a pretty big grey zone where we disagree (eg conductors have trained ears (/brains) that are more attuned, to ‘cant hear beyond 320kbps compressed (its transparent)’, to ‘cables dont matter’ to ‘all transports are equal’....)

seven

billion

people

of course dxd is better. but not everyone will know (and most arent going to care)

what i like is that ‘overkill quality’ ensures that it can be turned into mass market consumer formats and/or played back on ‘ever cheapening kit’ and SOME of the ‘goodness’ might remain.
I really want to try the gto filter.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #162 of 187

....​

dCS 904 – 44.1k, Filter 1​

1632504209719.png
This graph shows the frequency response of the dCS 904 running at 44.1kS/s using Filter 1.

This graph shows the filter frequency response from a very capable ADC, used in many recordings – a dCS 904. The first thing to note about this example is that it doesn’t use a Nyquist filter like the examples above. The attenuation by the Nyquist frequency is 20dB. This is important as an ADC, by definition, deals with signals that are not bandlimited. The final filter is around 100 taps long, meaning that effectively there is little to be gained from using a much longer filter on replay (inside the DAC). Considering what this response means, the following chart is helpful:

1632504224422.png

This graph helps to illustrate the area of uncertainty caused by this filter. In the intersecting area, it isn’t possible to differentiate between real signal and an alias. As such, use of excessively long filters here leads to heavy use of DSP to preproduce what is effectively the transition band of the ADC – signal which is undesirable, and unknown.

What this stands to show is that with digital filter design, the signal chain as a whole needs to be considered, as opposed to just the DAC in isolation. DAC filters which are likely to work well with realistic ADC filters are ideal – in reality the use of a filter which is either not present, too short or too long in a DAC can have detrimental effects. Filter length of course must be balanced with the other factors described above, which is where good engineering comes into play – understanding how to employ the necessary trade-offs to create a set of filters which work well regardless of what content is thrown at it. This is the reason a dCS DAC has so many filters to choose from – the DAC doesn’t (and can’t) know the filters which were used to create the signal, so several options allow the user to achieve the best musical experience irrespective of source material.

dCS’s experience with both ADCs and DACs leaves us in a very strong position to be able to create DAC filters which consistently perform to the highest standards, both in testing and with real-world musical signals.

Can you explain in few words what are the benefits of violating Nyquist theorem? It's seems not that obvious, because in fight for flat frequency response to the end we are getting only ca 18kHz of clean bandwith. According to CD standard audio content should stay between 20-20kHz above 20kHz to 22.05kHz is transition band theoreticaly free of any audio content. That giving us additional 2kHz bandwidth because mirror of 20kHz frequency shows up at 24kHz.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #163 of 187
@gumisb. It is not violating a theory. James refer to the traditional filter design used in popular chips like Philips SAA7030 and deliveratives. It sets a cut-off frequency (3dB) exactly at a Nyquist. It is insufficient to filter the images just above 22.05kHz. It has proven as a wrong approach. Attenuation 20dB at Nyquist is more reasonable and put less stress on a filter design. In all new designs cut-off frequency is chosen slightly lower than Nyquist, similar to dCS.

{Edit} I seems that I keep referencing to the 3dB cut-off frequency where James refer 6dB. One is for a voltage drop and another for a power drop. But I am not strong in numbers, anyway. :)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #164 of 187
Both are good examples of violation of Nyquist theorem. If we want reconstruct signal we have to have band limited source. Aliases from mirror image will disturb originally captured signal by ADC and stay there for ever incorporated into recording. No matter how good will be our DAC even with full suppression of mirror image it will reconstruct previously altered by aliases signal. NOS is only on DAC side and it assume filtering in analogue domain to suppress mirror image.

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #165 of 187
Hi folks,

Following our series on D/A conversion, we have a new set of posts to share. These posts will focus on another important aspect of the D/A conversion process, which is clocking. Whilst a DAC’s circuitry is responsible for making sure the right voltage is generated on conversion (ideally without correlated errors), clocking is responsible for ensuring the conversion happens at the right time. This series aims to explore why this is important in head-fi, along with good practices related to clocking.

We’ll start with discussing the basics of clocking and what happens when clock systems fail to produce an accurate signal. We’ll also examine the effect this causes, jitter, and the consequences this can have on digital playback, before going on to look at clock synchronisation in audio systems with multiple components, and the role of clocking in relation to asynchronous audio, such as music streamed over the internet or played via USB. Alongside this, we’ll provide an insight into the design of both dCS clock systems and dCS Master Clocks, and explain the steps we take to ensure our clocks deliver an accurate and consistent signal.

Our aim is to provide some helpful information on the role and importance of clocking in digital audio, and answer some common questions related to this topic, as well as providing a deeper look at our approach to developing clock systems and Master Clocks (something we’ve been doing for over three decades). We hope you’ll find it useful.

If you have not yet had a chance to read through the series on DACs (and the dCS Ring DAC) you can jump back to the previous posts here:

Part 1: Basics of Pulse Code Modulation (PCM)
Part 2: Basics of Pulse Density Modulation (DSD)
Part 3: Introduction to D/A Conversion
Part 4: The Ring DAC
Part 5: Filtering in Digital Audio
Part 6: Filter Design in ADCs and DACs

The topics which will be covered in the Clocking series are:

Part 1: The Basics of Clocking
Part 2: Jitter (intrinsic)
Part 3: Jitter (interface)
Part 4: Clock Synchronisation
Part 5: Asynchronous Sources – USB & Network Audio

Last edited:
dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back