dCS Bartok
Apr 26, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #811 of 2,050
I have a little less than 50 hrs on it so far. I am expecting improvement up to 100 hrs perhaps a bit longer. I have a set of digital cables custom made by Peter at Double Helix being shipped tomorrow. I am holding off playing with the various filters and dither controls until I am sure everything is settled.

What I am hearing is an increase in soundstage in all dimensions. With an increase in depth comes a more precise image and placement of instruments. I am also hearing more authenticity of vocals. Voices sound less digital and more human. Looking forward to the next 50 hrs or so.
Cool. I bought mine used, so I can't say anything about the break in. The filters don't make that much of a difference to me, but I haven't played around with them much. I think the biggest difference was setting the output voltage to 6V as long as your other equipment can handle it. Also, most people say that a separate preamp will sound better than using the digital volume control.

May 1, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #812 of 2,050
Received my custom BNC Digital Cables from Double Helix Cables today. They are to connect my Rossini DAC and Clock. Outstanding piece of work by Peter. Nordost Silver Shadow go up for sale. IMG_20210501_101125018.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #814 of 2,050
Welcome to the new world. And I ****ing hate it! :joy:
In this hobby, there’s a quixotic quest to find the best thing you will ever hear. On my birthday, I heard it. It was unquestionable the best thing ever. Wasn’t a new headphone or DAC. Wasn’t a shiny new amp or tricked out cable. When I heard it, I knew it would never be topped and I may never hear it again so I relished the time I heard it.

It was my wife saying, “buy whatever headphone thing you want”. The Bartok is coming next week.

May 9, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #815 of 2,050
In this hobby, there’s a quixotic quest to find the best thing you will ever hear. On my birthday, I heard it. It was unquestionable the best thing ever. Wasn’t a new headphone or DAC. Wasn’t a shiny new amp or tricked out cable. When I heard it, I knew it would never be topped and I may never hear it again so I relished the time I heard it.

It was my wife saying, “buy whatever headphone thing you want”. The Bartok is coming next week.
You're a lucky guy in many ways!

May 9, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #816 of 2,050

Bartok is a good start. Even a nice stop. Especially if it's your last. :wink:

May 9, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #817 of 2,050

You completely missed her mumbling "go on... I dare ya..".

May 9, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #818 of 2,050
Bartok is a good start. Even a nice stop. Especially if it's your last. :wink:
The intention is to be the last, but who am I kidding. I get the inkling the Bartok is meant to be a gateway drug to more dCS gear. In other words I’m on the clock for a clock! (thank you spellcheck that would’ve been embarrassing....)

May 9, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #819 of 2,050
The intention is to be the last, but who am I kidding. I get the inkling the Bartok is meant to be a gateway drug to more dCS gear. In other words I’m on the clock for a clock! (thank you spellcheck that would’ve been embarrassing....)
Now your wife missed your mumblings "gotcha sucker."

May 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #821 of 2,050

It definitely is. I originally purchased it for use in my stand alone headphone system.
The Bartok impressed me so much that I was inspired to try the Rossini/Clock... which kicked out a Linn Klimax DS in my 2 channel system (and the Linn is in the Uber 2 channel digital category).

The Linn now resides in the headphone system together with a GSX MK2.
dCS has definitely been on a roll of late. Many 2 channel users have been grabbing Rossini's to replace their high end digital streamers.

May 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #822 of 2,050
Did you compare your Berkeley to the Bartok? If so how did they compare? Tks.
I could have written an all-expanding coverage of the Bartok but feel these products stand on their own and don't need it.

The Bartok is far more feature-rich so keep that in mind. It's also crutched for specific use. Poor value response.

Comparatively the Berkeley is the more natural, harmonic rich performer. I feel the Bartok is a super-processed presentation, with saturated fullness that feels a bit glossed or laid-back. The staging is quite bigger on the Bartok (more evident as well with speakers.) Again, it feels over-imposed, arguably unnatural.

I kept the Reference 3 as it fits my ideas of natural/real and hasn't yet been outperformed to a preference. And it's quite difficult to articulate how important it is to understand the 2% differential switch in presentations these DACs present.

Compounded with the error of trying to encompass an AIO, the headamp of the Bartok gets trounced by my alternative choices.

Both get a thumbs up from me. Different configurable use-cases can split the difference.

I find both of these companies to be software-wizards. Don't pay attention to the chips, it's all about that code. :wink:

May 11, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #823 of 2,050
and the voice of doom strikes again this time taking down the bartok

May 12, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #824 of 2,050
and the voice of doom strikes again this time taking down the bartok
Ah, again you criticize simply as you can't afford. Very nice.

May 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #825 of 2,050
Ah, again you criticize simply as you can't afford. Very nice.
At $22k, the Berkeley reference 3 better be amazing (I'm sure it is). But at the price it should be compared to the Rossini instead of the Bartok. I don't think the ref 3 has a built in streamer/Roon endpoint and appropriate cables/power supply either...so add that to the price and you get to the territory of a Rossini+clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back