dCS Bartok
Apr 4, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #796 of 2,050
The Abyss is really great and I would say it is the other way around for me. They bested my magico s1mkII. But my rockport Atria II with a pair of JL F110v2 beats them in terms of enjoyment for me. I had the Abyss with the Bartok, and XIAudio Formula S and Powerman combo. I do think that the abyss beats pretty much every speaker up to $24k.
On what metrics? Certainly not bass extension and impact, or soundstaging. Based on hearing them a couple times, they aren't the most accurate transducer either although they do have the advantage of non-interaction with the room. This is getting OT, so I'll just let you have the final response.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #797 of 2,050
On what metrics? Certainly not bass extension and impact, or soundstaging. Based on hearing them a couple times, they aren't the most accurate transducer either although they do have the advantage of non-interaction with the room. This is getting OT, so I'll just let you have the final response.
I was actually saying that I much prefer my speakers. With the subs the bass extension is pretty damn incredible. The only advantage that the abyss would have is in the lack of room interaction as you said.

I will say that I think the difference in dacs is much more apparent in speakers. The difference between the Bartok and the dave or TT2 was not small in terms of sound stage on the speakers. For my money the Bartok presented a more natural sound stage and imaging than the Chord Dacs.

Apr 4, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #798 of 2,050
There are many excellent speakers available in the same general price range as a Susvara, my Vandersteen Treo CT's among them. All things being equal, I would listen to speakers almost exclusively, but of course all things are not equal (as you point out). In my case, my wife is home almost 100% of the time since the pandemic started and she doesn't appreciate jazz, heavy rock, and some of the other stuff I routinely listen to. She also goes to bed much earlier than I do typically.
Welcome to the new world. And I ****ing hate it! :joy:

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #799 of 2,050
It makes no sense to me that this sounds good. The analog outputs are designed to drive a preamp or power amp, with a much higher impedance (as you point out). The spec sheet itself states not to drive a load under 600 ohms from them.
Friends, but it is work fine! This is a mystery to me too.
SubBass very low, no bloated midbass. This bass is better than the other my three headphone amps.
Maybe RCA cable or adapters (RCA->TRS or TRS->TRS) have additional impedance?

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #800 of 2,050
Friends, but it is work fine! This is a mystery to me too.
SubBass very low, no bloated midbass. This bass is better than the other my three headphone amps.
Maybe RCA cable or adapters (RCA->TRS or TRS->TRS) have additional impedance?
Not unless yours were specifically designed that way. Standard cables and adapters have minimal impedance in that context.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #801 of 2,050
It makes no sense to me that this sounds good. The analog outputs are designed to drive a preamp or power amp, with a much higher impedance (as you point out). The spec sheet itself states not to drive a load under 600 ohms from them.

The unit's headphone amp is Class A, not its RCA outputs.

You are correct about to high impedance for optimal driving Susvara from the analoge outputs on the rear.

Class A OTOH is used in all types of hifi gear and many DACs and pre-amps are operating in Class A.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #802 of 2,050
You are correct about to high impedance for optimal driving Susvara from the analoge outputs on the rear.

Class A OTOH is used in all types of hifi gear and many DACs and pre-amps are operating in Class A.
Thanks, I had corrected myself above. DACs and audio preamps are not designed to drive low impedance loads, so my point was that their being Class A (or not) doesn't explain why they would be sounding good in this example. Cheers.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #803 of 2,050
Rossini and Clock landed today. Just started burning in. Mick the owner of Quintessence Audio in Chicago personally delivered and set it up. I highly recommend Quintessence to everybody.

1618882053622.png

Stock photo. Installed in my rack before I got any pictures.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #804 of 2,050
Rossini and Clock landed today. Just started burning in. Mick the owner of Quintessence Audio in Chicago personally delivered and set it up. I highly recommend Quintessence to everybody.
Awesome! I don't have the clock yet but the Rossini was an amazing purchase. Highly recommended! I'm a huge DCS fan now.
Also, join the DCS forum if you haven't already, it's a great resource for all of your questions.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #805 of 2,050
Maybe you can help me. I am signed up for the forums but every time I try to go to the specific Rossini page I get the message " Oops this page doesn't exist or is private". What am I doing wrong?

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #806 of 2,050
Maybe you can help me. I am signed up for the forums but every time I try to go to the specific Rossini page I get the message " Oops this page doesn't exist or is private". What am I doing wrong?
I didn't even know there is a Rossini page, lol. If you go to https://dcs.community/ , from there you can search for anything, like Rossini or Clock. A lot of times I'll check in each day or two and look at Latest, New or Unread threads at the top of the page.
Good to read about settings like filters, cables, etc. I'd be curious to know what your dealer recommends for settings as well.

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #807 of 2,050

1618882053622.png
Stock photo. Installed in my rack before I got any pictures.
It looks really nice, for those that know

How does Rossini DAC + Clock compare to Vivaldi DAC?

Over here their price is less than 1k apart.

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #808 of 2,050
It looks really nice, for those that know

How does Rossini DAC + Clock compare to Vivaldi DAC?

Over here their price is less than 1k apart.
DCS is very smart with their product line. A Vivaldi without clock sounds better than a Rossini + Clock, just like a Rossini without clock sounds better than a Bartok + clock.
Used Vivaldis can be found for great prices, but that is the oldest DAC in DCS' line, so it is the one they will likely update next. That may take a couple years though.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #810 of 2,050
I have a little less than 50 hrs on it so far. I am expecting improvement up to 100 hrs perhaps a bit longer. I have a set of digital cables custom made by Peter at Double Helix being shipped tomorrow. I am holding off playing with the various filters and dither controls until I am sure everything is settled.

What I am hearing is an increase in soundstage in all dimensions. With an increase in depth comes a more precise image and placement of instruments. I am also hearing more authenticity of vocals. Voices sound less digital and more human. Looking forward to the next 50 hrs or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back