dCS Bartok
Mar 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #241 of 2,031
Just put my deposit down and have started my ~6 week wait for delivery...

Plenty of time to sort out my music server and network upgrades to line it up with the Bartok's capabilities.

Wow 6 week wait. Did you get a unit with the headphone amp? I got one without it and it came in less than a week. That was in January either way you are in for a treat.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #242 of 2,031
Congrats
I am 1/2 way through my 6 week wait. Headphone version in Black.
I was told silver could have been a little quicker.

There appears to be large demand for the Bartok and DCS in general if one includes the Rossini which benefited from a large software 2.0 update.

On my main forum gig in 2 channel land there appears to be many NAIM users who are making the change.

I assume you had the chance to demo?

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #243 of 2,031
Silver with headphone amp for me. I already caught myself thinking about selling stuff to fund the Rossini clock :smile:.

Managed to resist the urge. Really need some quality time with the Bartók first.

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #244 of 2,031
I am in the process of comparing Tidal MQA to Qobuz Hi-Rez on the Bartok. So far, I would have to say that it varies with the particular album. Some MQA is spectacular. It depends on the recording and mastering. But I will say that having to wade through all of the hip-hop on Tidal (not interested) makes me more likely to select Qobuz first.
I have found that the best way for me to determine which service is the best is to see which one I reach for most often. As I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical, that would be Qobuz. From a user perspective, the annoyance of having to bypass the hip-hop at the top level of Tidal has made me reach for Qobuz more often. From a SQ point of view, the mastering of the original is more important than whether it is presented in Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-Rez. I am keeping both for now.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #245 of 2,031
I have found that the best way for me to determine which service is the best is to see which one I reach for most often. As I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical, that would be Qobuz. From a user perspective, the annoyance of having to bypass the hip-hop at the top level of Tidal has made me reach for Qobuz more often. From a SQ point of view, the mastering of the original is more important than whether it is presented in Tidal MQA or Qobuz Hi-Rez. I am keeping both for now.

I run tidal through roon to avoid the tidal interface 90% of the time. I am only using the tidal app on my sp1000 when mobile.

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #246 of 2,031
Ditto.

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #247 of 2,031
Any Bartok owners using a formula s as well. I am borrowing one and there is audible hiss when it is turned up about 75%. I am wondering if this an impedance issue.

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #248 of 2,031
I am not a bartok owner but I do not have a hiss problem on my formula s and chord dave

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #249 of 2,031
My Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler just arrived at my dealer. Unfortunately, I am en route home from an overseas trip and will have to go through 14 days of quarantine and, even if I didn’t, my dealer is in Berkeley and is covered as of today by the Bay Area non-essential business closures order. Won’t be hearing the new gear until after April 7.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #250 of 2,031
My Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler just arrived at my dealer. Unfortunately, I am en route home from an overseas trip and will have to go through 14 days of quarantine and, even if I didn’t, my dealer is in Berkeley and is covered as of today by the Bay Area non-essential business closures order. Won’t be hearing the new gear until after April 7.

That is a rough one. I didn't want to wait for my Bartok. I can't imagine waiting that long knowing it is so close. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #251 of 2,031
That is a rough one. I didn't want to wait for my Bartok. I can't imagine waiting that long knowing it is so close. I am sure it will be worth it in the end.
Absolutely. And in the grand scheme of things, not as important as the health risks and massive disruptions everyone is experiencing.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #253 of 2,031
Have you tried a lower gain setting, for example 2V instead of 6V, to be between -30 to -10 dB for comfortable listening level?

I sorted out the issue. It ended up being something to do with the grounding on the xlr inputs of the formula s. I bought a pair of adapters for race to xlr and with the single ended output there is no issue. The formula s had pin 1 and 3 connected but there might be something else with the wiring that doesn't play well with the floating balanced output of the Bartok.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #254 of 2,031
Curious as to the manufacturing status of my Bartok/headphone amp (not that it is important considering what is going on).
My dealer is in NY and I placed my order on 2/18. At the time I was told 2-4 weeks for Silver and 4-6 weeks for Black. I ordered Black.

I wonder if the DCS factory is open and working or is/will be shut? Curious about Naim and Linn as well.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #255 of 2,031
Buzz did you buy from BM store in NY? If so which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back