dCS Bartok
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #2,026 of 2,030
A follow up to my earlier post above, cross-posted from the Weiss thread.

Spent a long session today comparing the Weiss Helios to the Bartok Apex. It was a head-to-head struggle, with one DAC besting the other on some tracks and vice-versa. It is amazing that two similarly priced and specc'd devices still can be voiced so differently.

And easy to see why some would prefer one device over the other. The Bartok has a fuller/richer/rounder sound whereas the Helios is more resolving, refined and detailed. It really does depend on what kind of listening you like to do.

In the end, for my tastes and my listening material, I opted for the Helios, largely because the higher resolution conveyed more in terms of instrumental and vocal character, captured more about the expressiveness of the performer and the tiny nuances in performance, and reproduced more of the hall ambience and reverberation, all of which made the music more emotionally engaging.

I also thought the Helios created a more convincing sound stage, with rock-solid and stable placement. (Recording dependent, of course.) The Helios was rhythmically better. We were all toe-tapping and humming along to many of the livelier tracks.

And "listenability". The final test for me, and a reflection on the day's work, is that with the Helios I repeatedly caught myself wanting to keep listening to the remainder of the current piece rather than move on to the next test track. I became absorbed in the music each time, wanting to hear how the music would develop.

Test tracks were a mix of pop vocal, jazz, orchestral, chamber, choral and operatic. The tests were in my home system, with each device directly driving ATC SCM50ASL active loudspeakers.

So, subject to final negotiations and product availability, the Helios will be my next DAC for the foreseeable future. I expect my MScaler, Chord TT2, dCS Network Bridge and associated Wave Storm cables will be appearing in the For-Sale listings shortly. Thanks to everyone for the advice posted here.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #2,028 of 2,030
You're going deep by going to the DCS forum - so much going on there. But TBH the forum being so vibrant is a very good reason to feel good about going with Bartok (or Rossini)... so many people there for troubleshooting and I've found DCS staff there very helpful and responsive as well. I personally think that when you're willing to plunk down 5 figures on a DAC, etc, that the company should provide good support. DCS definitely in that camp.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #2,029 of 2,030
You're going deep by going to the DCS forum - so much going on there. But TBH the forum being so vibrant is a very good reason to feel good about going with Bartok (or Rossini)... so many people there for troubleshooting and I've found DCS staff there very helpful and responsive as well. I personally think that when you're willing to plunk down 5 figures on a DAC, etc, that the company should provide good support. DCS definitely in that camp.
I desire the exact opposite when it comes gear. When I spend that kind of money I want my dac to be perfect bone stock so I don’t need any tech support. Tube amp, CDP, turntable are obviously different due to service requirements but solid state dac, streamer, etc, the best case scenario for me is that I am so pleased with the sound and continue to be pleased that I don’t ever need any help.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #2,030 of 2,030
I desire the exact opposite when it comes gear. When I spend that kind of money I want my dac to be perfect bone stock so I don’t need any tech support. Tube amp, CDP, turntable are obviously different due to service requirements but solid state dac, streamer, etc, the best case scenario for me is that I am so pleased with the sound and continue to be pleased that I don’t ever need any help.
IME dCS is 100% reliable. The "tech support" that some ask about on the dCS community forum is generally A) the user is not very familiar with the gear or B) they find an edge case that dCS did not know about, and dCS appreciates this kind of "bug" reporting or C) they want to dig deep into various settings etc to get the most out of their DAC. dCS is very responsive and always very professional. I have not seen another audio company that is this engaged with their customers in such a venue so consistently.

Digital gear and DACs often interact with other software or devices and there's no such system that's perfectly foolproof. For example, Tidal changed their format so any vendor who integrates with it had to update their apps, and sometimes it might take a version or two to get things working 100% right. It's software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back