dCS Bartok
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #226 of 2,029
Rob Watts has already said many times, not for years.

Rob Watts also gets upset if you talk about the Bartok on a Chord thread. They did finally release the 2go. I could have picked up a Dave on the cheap too but by the time you add a good streamer to the equation you are near the price of the Bartok. I opted for the one without the headphone output the amp is good but I prefer the liquid platinum and formula s.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #227 of 2,029
Rob Watts also gets upset if you talk about the Bartok on a Chord thread.
I’ll never understand that approach to customer engagement. If your stuff is good, you should expect and welcome customer comparisons. Treat it as an opportunity to identify the prospects who find value in your particular combination of performance and features (no product is perfect for everyone). Treat your competitors with respect and class, and your customers will appreciate you more. If your stuff sux, you won’t have much of an audience anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #228 of 2,029
I am a bit confused. Who cares if Robb Watts gets upset on a thread. Are the moderators pulling posts which critique the performance of Chord DAC's? I would be more worried about that as it would speak to the integrity of this forum and community.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #229 of 2,029
I am a bit confused. Who cares if Robb Watts gets upset on a thread. Are the moderators pulling posts which critique the performance of Chord DAC's? I would be more worried about that as it would speak to the integrity of this forum and community.
Agreed. To me, as a consumer, how a manufacturer reacts to these issues matters. For Head-Fi, all that should matter is openness and transparency.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #230 of 2,029
Agreed. To me, as a consumer, how a manufacturer reacts to these issues matters. For Head-Fi, all that should matter is openness and transparency.

I just lost some respect for Rob from the wat that he responded. Chord does make great products. Not to sure about the need for the 2yu though.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #231 of 2,029
Rob Watts also gets upset if you talk about the Bartok on a Chord thread. They did finally release the 2go. I could have picked up a Dave on the cheap too but by the time you add a good streamer to the equation you are near the price of the Bartok. I opted for the one without the headphone output the amp is good but I prefer the liquid platinum and formula s.

That wasn't my point...the rest is a straw man and not pertaining to the previous discussion.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #232 of 2,029
That wasn't my point...the rest is a straw man and not pertaining to the previous discussion.
Well, I’m confused by this comment. So, respectfully, what was your point? it sure wasn’t clear to me, and apparently maybe someone else. This is what you wrote, I believe in response to the suggestion that market prices for DAVE might be falling perhaps due to the possibility of a DAVE2 in the pipe:
Rob Watts has already said many times, not for years
From my point of view, whatever you meant by the phrase “said many times, not for years” is less than obvious (I’m not a Chord news follower). And whatever you mean by “straw man,” I cannot discern either. Further, rest of what is a straw man? Comments about DAVE pricing? Comments about RW? And what is the “previous discussion”? Bartok? And which is the “straw man”? Or did you just mean “irrelevant” (which is not the same thing as straw man)? Or are you complaining about thread drift? I’ll plead guilty to some of that.

Or was this just an oblique request to get back on topic? That’s fair, but a little clarity goes a long way. Respectfully (and I mean that).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #233 of 2,029

Well to get back on topic. The Bartok had only gotten better with burn in. The stage has opened up with about 200 hours of use. IMO the imaging of the Bartok is more life like than any of the chord products. The Dave is more pin point but the instruments are contained to a small finite area in the stage. I actually preferred the Dave without the mscaler with speakers. The mscaler made the Dave sound overly sharp to my ears.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #234 of 2,029
Well to get back on topic. The Bartok had only gotten better with burn in. The stage has opened up with about 200 hours of use. IMO the imaging of the Bartok is more life like than any of the chord products. The Dave is more pin point but the instruments are contained to a small finite area in the stage. I actually preferred the Dave without the mscaler with speakers. The mscaler made the Dave sound overly sharp to my ears.
Interesting. I have not heard the Mscaler, but I’ve definitively read enthusiasm for it. I’ve listened to several upsampling components and software. But dCS was the first I had auditioned that I liked. I wasn’t doing a comparison listen though. My dCS listening session was all-dCS. Side by side, I might have reached a different conclusion about which I prefer. The EMM fans seem to love the upsampling developed by Meitner. I am looking forward to hearing that soon.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #235 of 2,029
Well, I’m confused by this comment. So, respectfully, what was your point? it sure wasn’t clear to me, and apparently maybe someone else. This is what you wrote, I believe in response to the suggestion that market prices for DAVE might be falling perhaps due to the possibility of a DAVE2 in the pipe:

From my point of view, whatever you meant by the phrase “said many times, not for years” is less than obvious (I’m not a Chord news follower). And whatever you mean by “straw man,” I cannot discern either. Further, rest of what is a straw man? Comments about DAVE pricing? Comments about RW? And what is the “previous discussion”? Bartok? And which is the “straw man”? Or did you just mean “irrelevant” (which is not the same thing as straw man)? Or are you complaining about thread drift? I’ll plead guilty to some of that.

Or was this just an oblique request to get back on topic? That’s fair, but a little clarity goes a long way. Respectfully (and I mean that).

It was simply in response to the release of a DAVE 2... which is years away. Seemed straight forward, I thought anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #236 of 2,029
It was simply in response to the release of a DAVE 2... which is years away. Seemed straight forward, I thought anyway.
Now I get it. I misinterpreted and thought the opposite: that maybe it was imminent. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #237 of 2,029
Now I get it. I misinterpreted and thought the opposite: that maybe it was imminent. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

No worries, that’s why I was a bit perplexed by your response. Glad we got that cleared up. :)

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #238 of 2,029
lots of things on forums are open to interpretation....the subject of a dave 2 is not If you accept as I do that Rob Watts would be the man to know lol

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #239 of 2,029
Just put my deposit down and have started my ~6 week wait for delivery...

Plenty of time to sort out my music server and network upgrades to line it up with the Bartok's capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back