dCS Bartok
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,592 of 2,033
Well this thread is pretty dead lol. I've been testing the Lina stack vs Dave + Oor the last couple of days, deciding if i should switch to dCS. Not really convinced so far. Curious if the Bartok without headphone amp also has Expanse or if it's locked via software.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #1,593 of 2,033
Well this thread is pretty dead lol. I've been testing the Lina stack vs Dave + Oor the last couple of days, deciding if i should switch to dCS. Not really convinced so far. Curious if the Bartok without headphone amp also has Expanse or if it's locked via software.
Well the dCS units are pretty exclusive from a price standpoint so apart from new firmware Updates the threads are quite calm most of the time

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,594 of 2,033
dCS acknowledge the Bartok is a superior DAC. The internal headphone amp, while commendable for a first attempt, was slightly lacking. I found my Bartok/GSX Mini outperformed the Bartok HA. I was impressed enough with the Bartok - when compared to my Linn Klimax DS Katalyst - to try a Rossini. The Rossini now resides in my main 2 channel system while the Linn has moved to headphone duties.
Hope that helps

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,595 of 2,033
dCS acknowledge the Bartok is a superior DAC. The internal headphone amp, while commendable for a first attempt, was slightly lacking. I found my Bartok/GSX Mini outperformed the Bartok HA. I was impressed enough with the Bartok - when compared to my Linn Klimax DS Katalyst - to try a Rossini. The Rossini now resides in my main 2 channel system while the Linn has moved to headphone duties.
Hope that helps
My issue is I would mostly switch to dCS for Expanse, though i found it..weird initially, and preferred the normal CF. If if was to go for a Rossini, just like the normal Bartok, I assume it wouldn't be available, even though it's clearly a software choice.
I like the Lina so far, but only with the clock. And it's a pretty pricy proposition for what feels like a side grade from Dave atm. If I take Expanse out of the equation, I don't see myself switching.
I thought it was the same Dac essentially, just newer filters on the Lina

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #1,596 of 2,033
My issue is I would mostly switch to dCS for Expanse, though i found it..weird initially, and preferred the normal CF. If if was to go for a Rossini, just like the normal Bartok, I assume it wouldn't be available, even though it's clearly a software choice.
I like the Lina so far, but only with the clock. And it's a pretty pricy proposition for what feels like a side grade from Dave atm. If I take Expanse out of the equation, I don't see myself switching.
I thought it was the same Dac essentially, just newer filters on the Lina
Expanse is in the digital domain, so it's unavailable in the other dCS DACs or in the Bartok analog out.

I've never heard a Dave but I have a Mojo 2 and like its presentation. I have read others comment that the Dave and dCS are bother very good but just different, and it depends on what you prefer in that difference.

I've never heard the Bartok with a clock. Just not there yet. People generally indicate that it does not make a huge difference, but it does make a difference, primarily it seems in the soundstage and the separation of instruments and a sort of natural easing to the presentation. Addition of the clock is subtle but appreciable.

The Bartok headamp is very good, but I'm confident it can be beat by an external dedicated amp. I use it primarily with the Meze Elite using a balanced connection. It is good but less ideal with the DAC Stealth, which really needs power to thrive.

And yes, at its price point dCS is not going to get a lot of traffic in this forum, plus they are fairly new to head-fi. The Lina seems to have made a splash at release but chatter about it has really slowed down. I'd wonder if they are selling as dCS had planned. It's a very expensive headphone-only proposition. And at that level there a handful of other options, like the Warwick Aperio.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,598 of 2,033
Expanse is in the digital domain, so it's unavailable in the other dCS DACs or in the Bartok analog out.

I've never heard a Dave but I have a Mojo 2 and like its presentation. I have read others comment that the Dave and dCS are bother very good but just different, and it depends on what you prefer in that difference.

I've never heard the Bartok with a clock. Just not there yet. People generally indicate that it does not make a huge difference, but it does make a difference, primarily it seems in the soundstage and the separation of instruments and a sort of natural easing to the presentation. Addition of the clock is subtle but appreciable.

The Bartok headamp is very good, but I'm confident it can be beat by an external dedicated amp. I use it primarily with the Meze Elite using a balanced connection. It is good but less ideal with the DAC Stealth, which really needs power to thrive.

And yes, at its price point dCS is not going to get a lot of traffic in this forum, plus they are fairly new to head-fi. The Lina seems to have made a splash at release but chatter about it has really slowed down. I'd wonder if they are selling as dCS had planned. It's a very expensive headphone-only proposition. And at that level there a handful of other options, like the Warwick Aperio.
Precisely because it's in the digital domain, it can be used by a Rossini and etc. Dave does it in the digital domain as well, and because of a bug, it doesn't get disabled automatically when you output analogue to a headphone amp.
Honestly, they're 90% the same in a well optimized chain. We're all about the details though. Unfortunately, they trade blows when you add the Clock. I much prefer Dave to Lina without the clock. The improvements are subtle but across the board. When adding the clock...it's more complicated.

Lina.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,599 of 2,033
Precisely because it's in the digital domain, it can be used by a Rossini and etc. Dave does it in the digital domain as well, and because of a bug, it doesn't get disabled automatically when you output analogue to a headphone amp.
Honestly, they're 90% the same in a well optimized chain. We're all about the details though. Unfortunately, they trade blows when you add the Clock. I much prefer Dave to Lina without the clock. The improvements are subtle but across the board. When adding the clock...it's more complicated.

Lina.jpg
I agree with you about the lack of activity concerning Lina, etc in this thread. I guess DCS is just so expensive.

I would love to hear much more in comparisons of the Lina DAC vs Bartok DAC using a common amp both with and without the clocks. And then with Rossini as well to get a better sense of where the Lina DAC really lies. I definitely like it’s form factor better than the Bartok.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,600 of 2,033
I agree with you about the lack of activity concerning Lina, etc in this thread. I guess DCS is just so expensive.

I would love to hear much more in comparisons of the Lina DAC vs Bartok DAC using a common amp both with and without the clocks. And then with Rossini as well to get a better sense of where the Lina DAC really lies. I definitely like it’s form factor better than the Bartok.
It's still huge though, and i had to make a trip to the car for each of the boxes. Still big and heavy, can't really call it transportable, which was one of my gripes with Bartok. I can only offer extensive comparisons to Dave. But the clock really does make or break it for me. Shame the pricing for it is what it is, it feels opportunistic.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,601 of 2,033
It's still huge though, and i had to make a trip to the car for each of the boxes. Still big and heavy, can't really call it transportable, which was one of my gripes with Bartok. I can only offer extensive comparisons to Dave. But the clock really does make or break it for me. Shame the pricing for it is what it is, it feels opportunistic.
It is the length and width difference that makes it better to fit on my desk or cabinet near my desk. The Bartok is just too deep. I hear you though, they do look pretty high. Tks.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,602 of 2,033
It is the length and width difference that makes it better to fit on my desk or cabinet near my desk. The Bartok is just too deep. I hear you though, they do loom pretty high. Tks.
As a Chord owner, great dac :) it might just be my next one. I'm curious what the Bartok 2.0 update brought vs the original sound.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,603 of 2,033

The Bartok is a beautiful device, very heavy though. I have never seen a Lina.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #1,605 of 2,033

Users who are viewing this thread

Back