dCS Bartok
May 24, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #1,501 of 2,033
Is that store in the Netherlands? Name?

May 24, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #1,503 of 2,033
I like the looks, but it's 50% more expensive than the Bartok.

The stack + Spirit Torino Valkyria is ectremely close to a Sennheiser HE 1 already 😅
Only two complaints. First, I wish they offered this Lina system in silver as well as black. Second, I wish they had included a set of variable outputs on the back of the headphone amp, so that you could use it as a preamp with a set of powered desktop speakers. Sure, you can still use one of the XLR outputs on the front of the headphone amp, but that kinda ruins the aesthetic and makes for a more cluttered desktop.

I wonder how many Bartok owners will be purchasing the Lina master clock, which is a few thousand dollars cheaper than the Rossini clock.

May 24, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #1,504 of 2,033
I would assume the Lina DAC might be lower tier than the Bartok. Lina Headphone Amp will be of higher quality than the built-in headphone amp in the Bartok. The Lina clock would be under the Rossini Clock. But I would not mix and match the Bartok with Lina Clock and Lina headphone amp. Definitely get the 3 matching stack for the best synergy.

May 24, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,505 of 2,033
I would assume the Lina DAC might be lower tier than the Bartok. Lina Headphone Amp will be of higher quality than the built-in headphone amp in the Bartok. The Lina clock would be under the Rossini Clock. But I would not mix and match the Bartok with Lina Clock and Lina headphone amp. Definitely get the 3 matching stack for the best synergy.
There is no Bartok master clock. The Rossini clock matches the dimensions, but the front of the clock follows the design of the Rossini. No idea why dCS hasn't bothered to offer a matching master clock for the Rossini.

May 24, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,506 of 2,033
when i saw the dcs post yesterday, i thought the product might be a bartok mini since there are many people who would love a dcs unit but cannot afford. this new dcs stack at $30k is much more expensive than the bartok. i am wondering what the market is for this. are there that many people who are thinking about buying a bartok but have concerns about the competency of the headphone amp section and would be willing to pay an additional $12k to resolve such concerns. i am sure it is a great system but the market seems quite limited.

May 24, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #1,507 of 2,033
when i saw the dcs post yesterday, i thought the product might be a bartok mini since there are many people who would love a dcs unit but cannot afford. this new dcs stack at $30k is much more expensive than the bartok. i am wondering what the market is for this. are there that many people who are thinking about buying a bartok but have concerns about the competency of the headphone amp section and would be willing to pay an additional $12k to resolve such concerns. i am sure it is a great system but the market seems quite limited.
There are, but those users usually have a Susvara and also won't consider the 2W into 30 Ohm as sufficient.

Therefore those that are concerned about the headphone amp in the Bartok will likely remain concerned with the Luna

May 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,508 of 2,033
Was quite taken by surprise by this announcement. Nice equipment but thankfully not tempting for me. Eagerly awaiting my Rossini Apex upgrade.

May 24, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #1,509 of 2,033
There are, but those users usually have a Susvara and also won't consider the 2W into 30 Ohm as sufficient.

Therefore those that are concerned about the headphone amp in the Bartok will likely remain concerned with the Luna

Yup, I am exactly in this situation with Susvara. This is why I upgraded from Bartok to Rossini, so I could have every option to pair speaker amps or more powerful headphone amps with Susvara. Though Abyss themselves say the Lina AMP sounded really good with their headphones, it might be due to synergy and tuning of the buffered input of the amp. dCS obviously used the Abyss 1266 as a reference to tune the Lina Stack because the design looks very similar with formulaS and matching colors and industrial-themed design. And Abyss headphones obviously are not as power-hungry like the Susvara

Was quite taken by surprise by this announcement. Nice equipment but thankfully not tempting for me. Eagerly awaiting my Rossini Apex upgrade.

Same here, waiting for my dealer to contact me for my Apex upgrade. Hopefully, my dealer will have the Lina stack soon for demo, so I could have a listen to them too.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,510 of 2,033
This was a surprise. I recall seeing the three-tiered sculpture in the background of the video, but it only passingly occurred to me they had anything to do with the new system.

I'll keep my Bartok since I also use it in my two channel system. The Rossini is my upgrade path, if I ever do that. The Lina looks cool and I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but I'm not in the market for a $30k headphone only system.

It's interesting that dCS has been courting the headfi community, then they release a very expensive headphone system. They remain a premium brand with premium price points. Only available direct or through a select group of retailers; clearly a niche product.

May 24, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,511 of 2,033
This was a surprise. I recall seeing the three-tiered sculpture in the background of the video, but it only passingly occurred to me they had anything to do with the new system.

I'll keep my Bartok since I also use it in my two channel system. The Rossini is my upgrade path, if I ever do that. The Lina looks cool and I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but I'm not in the market for a $30k headphone only system.

It's interesting that dCS has been courting the headfi community, then they release a very expensive headphone system. They remain a premium brand with premium price points. Only available direct or through a select group of retailers; clearly a niche product.
Yeah after the Bartoks success I thought they go down in price to offer more an more affordable entry to convert all those chord users and such.

Instead of a "Baby Bartok" they then released "an upgrade" - since the Rossini has no Headamp.

May 24, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,512 of 2,033
If you're going to compare prices with Bartok you need to remove the master clock from the equation. It almost looks like they chopped the Bartok with headphone amp in half and added a couple thousand for the separate casework, power supplies, and overhead. I think the appeal, and perhaps strategy, here is the consumer can start with the headphone amp or DAC and add piecemeal as budget and desire allows.

May 24, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,513 of 2,033
If you're going to compare prices with Bartok you need to remove the master clock from the equation. It almost looks like they chopped the Bartok with headphone amp in half and added a couple thousand for the separate casework, power supplies, and overhead. I think the appeal, and perhaps strategy, here is the consumer can start with the headphone amp or DAC and add piecemeal as budget and desire allows.
I guess that's true. You can buy the Lina DAC and use it in any system for less than the Bartok. But dCS is clearly marketing this is a system. I'll look forward to comparisons to the Bartok. The Bartok is the better looking device and provides a one box headphone solution.

May 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #1,514 of 2,033
in the review by third_eye (posted to the site today), he provides this comparison of the two.

++

Comparison with Bartok. In comparing the Lina to the Bartok, the most immediate and noticeable difference is the headphone amplifier. The Bartok’s internal headphone output is already excellent with the majority of headphones. However, there is a noticeable improvement with the Susvara and Diana TC when using the Lina Headphone amplifier.. The increased dynamics, provide a more intimate and visceral listening experience without a trace of sharpness or sibilance. The Bartok by contrast has a slightly deeper, and wider soundstage.

Conclusion. The dCS Lina stack is a flagship headphone system, and is also the finest solid state headphone system I’ve heard to date. The Lina DAC and Headphone Amplifier together compare well with the Bartok in a smaller form factor that is suitable for desktop applications, and the optional addition of the Master Clock only enhances the already excellent performance. Hard to drive headphones such as the Susvara and Abyss will clearly benefit from the additional drive of the Lina headphone amp, and in particular, I have yet to hear the Susvara sound better from a solid state headphone amp.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,515 of 2,033
in the review by third_eye (posted to the site today), he provides this comparison of the two.

++

Comparison with Bartok. In comparing the Lina to the Bartok, the most immediate and noticeable difference is the headphone amplifier. The Bartok’s internal headphone output is already excellent with the majority of headphones. However, there is a noticeable improvement with the Susvara and Diana TC when using the Lina Headphone amplifier.. The increased dynamics, provide a more intimate and visceral listening experience without a trace of sharpness or sibilance. The Bartok by contrast has a slightly deeper, and wider soundstage.

Conclusion. The dCS Lina stack is a flagship headphone system, and is also the finest solid state headphone system I’ve heard to date. The Lina DAC and Headphone Amplifier together compare well with the Bartok in a smaller form factor that is suitable for desktop applications, and the optional addition of the Master Clock only enhances the already excellent performance. Hard to drive headphones such as the Susvara and Abyss will clearly benefit from the additional drive of the Lina headphone amp, and in particular, I have yet to hear the Susvara sound better from a solid state headphone amp.
Almost useless comparison though. He made no dac vs dac comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back