DC Area Meet - April 7th, 2018 hosted by Gramophone
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #46 of 135
We can see if there is a way to configure all three or we can swap out one of the Yggy's at some point. I'd like to have a configuration where you keep your headphones plugged in and on your head and only flip the input switch on the amp to do the A-B comparison.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #47 of 135
I prefer the idea of a DAC swap, but only if it makes sense in the timeframe of the meet. If there are crowds of people standing around, listening, it will probably not be ideal. I really like Ken's plan for the Yggy comparison via Gold - also Will's box makes it easy to swap DACs to another amplifier.

I would like to add, the difference between Onyx and Yggy is not subtle. It took my brain days to adjust to Onyx (I sent @TimeLord much spam during that period, trying to figure out what had just happened to my sound). And that was after I'd owned its little brother Amethyst for a few months. A-B between Gumby and Amethyst, I thought, was more subtle (I did this through the Glass). A-B between Onyx and Yggy should be very easy.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #49 of 135
I prefer the idea of a DAC swap, but only if it makes sense in the timeframe of the meet. If there are crowds of people standing around, listening, it will probably not be ideal. I really like Ken's plan for the Yggy comparison via Gold - also Will's box makes it easy to swap DACs to another amplifier.

I would like to add, the difference between Onyx and Yggy is not subtle. It took my brain days to adjust to Onyx (I sent @TimeLord much spam during that period, trying to figure out what had just happened to my sound). And that was after I'd owned its little brother Amethyst for a few months. A-B between Gumby and Amethyst, I thought, was more subtle (I did this through the Glass). A-B between Onyx and Yggy should be very easy.
I can attest that @sheldaze was struggling to understand what he was hearing. It must have been hard to see an audiophile icon like the Yggy struggle against a newcomer.

Kudos to @sheldaze for persevering.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #50 of 135
I'm planning on showing up sans gear besides my LCD-XC. Never been to Gramophone before. Looking forward to it!

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #52 of 135
I can attest that @sheldaze was struggling to understand what he was hearing. It must have been hard to see an audiophile icon like the Yggy struggle against a newcomer.

Kudos to @sheldaze for persevering.

So you agree that Onyx equals or bests the Y2? What were you hearing in the Onyx vs. the Yiggy?

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #53 of 135
So you agree that Onyx equals or bests the Y2? What were you hearing in the Onyx vs. the Yiggy?

Only thing I can suggest - swing by Will's or my stations, and hear some good NOS options. Swing by Ken's station and hear some state-of-the-art OS options. The sound is just not the same, and I'm in the same process of listening to the two too!

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #54 of 135
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #55 of 135

How goes @schneller?
I cannot confirm this, since I have not done a comparison. I have just had conversations with @sheldaze as he was working through what he was hearing.

But it sounds like you’re about to have a sweet opportunity to check it though. I’d love to hear your opinion.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #57 of 135
How goes @schneller?
I cannot confirm this, since I have not done a comparison. I have just had conversations with @sheldaze as he was working through what he was hearing.

But it sounds like you’re about to have a sweet opportunity to check it though. I’d love to hear your opinion.

Cool. So it seems that we'll have Onyx, Y1, and Y2 on April 7? So looking forward to it.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #59 of 135
I'm seeing an April Madness DAC Bracket emerging. We'll give a lot of time to the Yv1 and Yv2, since they are being kind enough to load us the Yv2, but I think we can swap some other DACs into the mix throughout the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back