DC Area Meet - April 7th, 2018 hosted by Gramophone
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #31 of 135
Output from a computer to two DACs, via USB, is very easy through JRiver Media Center. The only issue, which I have never tested (I do not have two of any particular DAC) is if the computer could identify one from the other. However with Yggy, as long as we have an EITR and a good COAX, one can be fed via EITR and the other directly to Gen V. They are sonic-ally identical (EITR and Gen V).

Output from the two DACs - yes, the Gold has two XLR inputs. Will's switch-box could let us use another amplifier. I may "switch up" what I bring, if the focus for the event changes to amplifiers with balanced inputs. These tend to be a little higher end (and come in bigger boxes). We might want to ping @smitty1110, where he is regarding Yggy upgrades.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #32 of 135
I will probably bring a CD player too, but the PC inputs (with the EITR) could work. Will the PC/Mac feed 2 usb ports with the same stream? If I recall correctly, we've had problems using two USB outputs from the MacBook simultaneously at CAF (or maybe it was the summer meet)

We will need more XLR cables that I currently possess.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #33 of 135
JRiver handles sending same data on two streams. I do not think that's the software loaded onto the Mac/PC computers from Schiit Kit. I've used it several times with zero issues. It works on Mac/PC/Linux.

I have 3 pair of XLR cables.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #34 of 135
Okay... that's good to know. I'll have to check out JRiver for my own PC.

That's good news about the cables.

There's plenty of time before the meet. @sheldaze, you and I may want to do a test/shakedown of the whole setup before the actual meet. I have 2 Yggys (although they are both v1, but can test the setup).

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #36 of 135
I haven't posted this yet, but I'll be bringing my series A (un-upgraded) Yggy, and my Cavalli Liquid Gold. As previous posts have suggested, there will be a station to A-B the two versions of the Yggy (series B Yggy loaner to be provided by Schiit) using a common source and amplifier through your own headphones. I'll also have my Utopia with me.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #37 of 135
Some fantastic news!
@ampsandsound will be joining us at this meet. Looks like we will have a Kenzie as well as a Mogwai SE.
Definitely looking forward to hearing these after our teaser at CAF!!

I happened to talk to Justin tonight and heard this - I'll be glad to be able to spend some time with their amps.

Ordered stuff for a balanced switchbox, so I'm committed to that.

We have the newest MHDT Labs DAC, the Istanbul "Eagle Edition", which is essentially an upgraded Stockholm V2 plus their new output stage that they started using with the Orchid. I also just put some nicer output caps in our Orchid. Both DACs are now burning in. Not as hyped as the Yggy but if you're interested in NOS DACs closer to $1000, I think MHDT continues to improve.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #38 of 135
Cool...keeping my setup simple then: BA, CTH, Carbon X, Onyx
Listening to it now!

I'm a little light on cans (HD580, HD600, HD650 KISS), so bring something with 4-pin XLR if you want to listen.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #40 of 135
...I'll also probably bring my small Schiit stack consisting of a Magni 3, Modi Multibit, and Eitr and Loki if I have them then.

I'll also bring a CD (not SACD) player for a source for the Yggy's so folks can bring CDs too

We'll also be able to have laptops as sources

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #41 of 135
Does anyone have a Holo Audio Spring DAC they could bring? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'd love to hear how it sounds before I do.

And I will bring my HE1000v2 (my new baby) to the meet.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 135
I too will have a disc player!
Definitely bring discs!

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 135
I haven't posted this yet, but I'll be bringing my series A (un-upgraded) Yggy, and my Cavalli Liquid Gold. As previous posts have suggested, there will be a station to A-B the two versions of the Yggy (series B Yggy loaner to be provided by Schiit) using a common source and amplifier through your own headphones. I'll also have my Utopia with me.

Can we throw an Onyx into the test too? :) Is there a date set?

I currently have plans over Easter weekend and then am out of town from April 27-May 12. Otherwise, I hope I can participate.

Edit: March 24-25 also bad for me as a work weekend. Plus, there is plan for a big march on Washington on the 24th. Could be a mess around here.

Edit2: I would be willing to meet one or two of you to show you all my office (20th and K NW), which potentially, given permission, could be a great venue for a meet. Just throwing the idea out there. No promises but willing to explore the option with someone.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 135
I don't know what an Onyx is.

If it's a headphone or an amp I'm sure we can try it--hopefully an amp would have switchable inputs. The Yggy's only have one pair of balanced outputs but two pairs of s/e. I would expect that all can be driven simultaneously, but I don't know for sure.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #45 of 135
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back