Daydreaming: HFI-780? PRO 900? PRO 750?
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 53
It's S-logic Doubleplus, get it right. And S-logic isn't about the EMF-shielding, you're thinking about the MU-metal board in that case. You should care about the sound pressure reduction bit, I think Ultrasone headphones are a godsend to people with damaged hearing, and the S-logic plus is even superior to S-logic in this area.

I could explain why your analogies are all absurd, but I've already said my piece.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to the 780 having S-logic plus and not the old S-logic. But should be easy to check if someone have both the PRO 900 and 780 for example to see if the driver placement and holes are identical
smily_headphones1.gif
Also if the titanium drivers have higher frequencies it´s maybe rather that then that titanium drivers have more inherent sibilance then gold plated drivers. Explains why the 900 have sharper sibilance then the 750 and that some claims not having any sibilance at all with more rolled off hearing perhaps?

Lets have a look then !!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #35 of 53
Yeah I've read that over a a few times. I guess I should ask a few questions about it though. (Apparently I failed to notice that you were the person who made that thread, and was posting in my thread.)

Now you say that the 650s have less bass and high end than the 750s, but you say that if you like bass heavy music then you would be better of with the 650s. Although I do like bass, I don't like it when it distracts from the rest of the frequencies. I've had this problem with my current setup, as the bass on my Q40s will easily overpower the rest of the music sometimes. Moreover my E5 certainly isn't helping, as the main thing it does is add to the bass, even with the extra bass switch off. I can definitely deal with nice amounts of bass though, and even if I couldn't for whatever reason the left-most slider on the EQ always helps that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

What about the 550s? They were only quickly noted.

Also, apparently RMC audio is quite near to where I live, and they seem to not only be the only place within a 100 mile radius that would carry ultrasones, but they also seem to be the cheapest place to buy them. I read something about PRO 900s for 300 some odd USD, I can't seem to find it now though. In any case I should probably take a trip out there and audition some stuff. But I've read that the ultrasones need a LOT of burn in before they sound good. Since I doubt that the cans that I audition will be burnt in, how will this affect the sound?

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I've read that over a a few times. I guess I should ask a few questions about it though. (Apparently I failed to notice that you were the person who made that thread, and was posting in my thread.)

Now you say that the 650s have less bass and high end than the 750s, but you say that if you like bass heavy music then you would be better of with the 650s. Although I do like bass, I don't like it when it distracts from the rest of the frequencies. I've had this problem with my current setup, as the bass on my Q40s will easily overpower the rest of the music sometimes. Moreover my E5 certainly isn't helping, as the main thing it does is add to the bass, even with the extra bass switch off. I can definitely deal with nice amounts of bass though, and even if I couldn't for whatever reason the left-most slider on the EQ always helps that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

What about the 550s? They were only quickly noted.

Also, apparently RMC audio is quite near to where I live, and they seem to not only be the only place within a 100 mile radius that would carry ultrasones, but they also seem to be the cheapest place to buy them. I read something about PRO 900s for 300 some odd USD, I can't seem to find it now though. In any case I should probably take a trip out there and audition some stuff. But I've read that the ultrasones need a LOT of burn in before they sound good. Since I doubt that the cans that I audition will be burnt in, how will this affect the sound?

The 750s and the 900s have a bass boost...the 900s are only half of the problem, the bass are boosted, but the rest of the frequencies are very balanced. The 750 have the bass and super highs boosted, some may call it "sibilance" especially when you listen to loose mp3s. And yes, the Q40s are a great example of bass boost...

Now, all the others models with the Mylar and the gold drivers have punchy bass, but more balanced and tight, than the 750s and the 900s.
But remember, there are some who will find it enjoyable, so this is only my experience.

All Ultrasone models need 300-500 hours burn in time...

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #37 of 53
So that puts it back to the 550 vs 650 then. Since they are both basically the same price I should probably go out and audition them.

The question I was trying to get at earlier is, if the phones are not burned in then what will I have to listen for? What all will change after they are burned in?

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that puts it back to the 550 vs 650 then. Since they are both basically the same price I should probably go out and audition them.

The question I was trying to get at earlier is, if the phones are not burned in then what will I have to listen for? What all will change after they are burned in?

The 650 may or may not have a hollow metal feel in the upper highs for about 350-400 hours burn in time. the 650 have a bigger sound stage, check if you like it...And they are more comfy for a big head like me.
normal_smile .gif

The HFI-580 sound more natural with the S-Logic, compare to the 650 that sound like a pirotecnica in your head, I love this one.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #39 of 53
Bump from page 12 or so. I've been meaning to get out and try those ultrasones but I didn't know they were closed on the weekends. Gonna try again this afternoon.

Now for the reason I was bumping, it has come to my attention that the denon D2000s are round and have a lot of bass. Anyone compare these to the ultrasones? I haven't heard anything about sibilance from them, and if they are not sibilant whereas the ultrasones are then that could change a lot of things....

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #40 of 53
I read a lot about the D2000 in particular having sibilance... At least compared to it´s brothers the D5000, D7000 which from what you read seem to have less. Had no major issues with the D5000 I tried anyway. As for Ultrasones it differs. PRO 900 have a lot more sibilance than the PRO 750. Or more and more but it´s more pronounced I would say. HFI series is supposed to be more forgiving should have less you would think
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 53
Well aparrently RMC audio won't let you just come in and try headphones. I went there today and the door was locked (Nothing said they were closed and it was during their 'open' hours) Some guy came and unlocked it and said somthing about everything being online and handed me a card, unfortunitly he had some sort of speach impediment and between that and my already bad hearing I coulden't understand everything he said.

Are there ever any head-fi meets near knoxville, TN? Closest ones I know about are atlanta and some places in NC, both too far away for me I'm afraid.
frown.gif

EDIT: oh and while this thread is up, how do the HFI-780 and PRO 550/650/750 all compare on bass, mainly impact and muddyness. I like the first one and don't like the second. I've also had a little experience with mids and highs having impact as well, do they or am I hearing somthing else?

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #43 of 53
Been reading a lot this past few days about Ultrasone and to be honest... I still can't seem to make up my mind despite all the info available on this and other threads.
frown.gif

Unfortunately I don't have an Ultrasone dealer around so I'm fantasizing everything off what's stated around lol.

Not all is bad, since I'm pretty sure the Ultrasone sound is what I'm looking for as my next buy. When undecided most seem to tend for the 780?

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #44 of 53
Don't know whether most people steer towards the 780s when undecided. I gave them a shot and now they're my primary cans. Never looked back...
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know whether most people steer towards the 780s when undecided. I gave them a shot and now they're my primary cans. Never looked back...
wink.gif

It's just my guesstimate from the quite few duzens of pages all around these models on this forum. At some point in time from the peeps pulling the trigger most seem to have moved towards the 780 and seem to be happy.

I'll be pulling the trigger also as soon as I get confirmation from a supplier that should have stock soon enough at a cool price
tongue_smile.gif

At the moment I'm more inclined towards the 780s also lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back