David beat Goliath - Again? (PB2/DB2 vs. Desktop rig)
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
Ok, here is something i though would be a no-brainer...Which it almost is,, but now i thought it would be...David vs. Goliath:
 Goliath is represented by the following setup: Optical input to a Cambridge DacMagic Desktop dac, which then feeds 24bit/192 into a Argon HA2 tube/ss hybrid.
David represented by my portable rig, which was to be sold to afford Goliath: Optical into iBasso DB2, balanced 24bit/192 into iBasso PB2 balanced SS amp. Both setups drove a Denon D7000 though single ended outs (meaning the PB2 has even more to give on the Balanced). And so far, I have been unable to tell which sounds the best...Both has about the same sounstaging, SQ in general, the only difference is the very slightly more "rounded" sound of the Argon's tube. I am absolutely dumbfounded. I knew the PB2 had reputation for Desktop SQ, but i didn'r really believe it...Until i now actually have a desktop setup to compare it to. Any thoughts?

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 13
that's interesting -  i compared my Ipod touch-CLAS- SR71B rig to my Ipod-CLAS - stacker II amp yesterday and the stacker blew the pants off the SR71B.  More than I expected it would.

I guess you just never know...

how much did goliath cost in USD?

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Hmm...About 900$ total, so its not the most expensive out there, but it should be decent. Both the DacMagic and HA2 has a reputation for being a huge bang for the buck. But then again in this case the PB2 is almos Goliath dressed up as David - Its an absolute monster when it comes to power, its at the moment on low gain and not the max power buffer/opamp setup, but even so it has much more power than any othe source i have, HA2, my reciever etc. and you can hear that, it makes it able to control the drivers with ease because it has so much juice to spare, so the sound is more precise and, "textured" i would call it...
I've only heard good things about the SR71b and even concidered switching to it, but i believe this monster has more power then even that - i have measured a peak watt output of 2,7-2,8watts and a linear output level of 2,5watts, thats so much i used it to blow up my old apple buds, just for the fun of it :p
But then again I did but this rig to have enough power to handle anyheadphone, from Denon to HE6, so i wouldn't need more amps - but the upgrade-bug is always out to get you, when you're an audiophile :D

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Hmm...About 900$ total, so its not the most expensive out there, but it should be decent. Both the DacMagic and HA2 has a reputation for being a huge bang for the buck. 

I actually think the DacMagic is where the problem is.

I've never been a big fan of it.  I remember when I listened to it for the first time, I was like, "I just got duped by FOTM-itis"

Try a different DAC, then get back to us.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I find it rather good compared to other options I've tried (which is why i bought it), but the DB2 is on par - if not more...

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I actually think the DacMagic is where the problem is.

Its weird - when CA first released the DACMagic, people raved about it. As even cheaper DACs were released in subsequent months, many of those same people subsequently found the DM 'lacking' ('too sterile' seems to be a popular mantra). HRT seem to have suffered some of that phenomenon with the MSII/MSII+, themselves hailed as *the* budget DAC solution over more expensive asynch DACs. Your mention 'FOTMitis' - sadly, that doesnt begin and end at Head-Fi, but it would be expensive to try to prove/disprove the hype around each new DAC.

I do agree that the OP needs to try his amps from different sources - I like the iBasso products I've heard, but we may be testing the laws of physics in this instance. 
eek.gif

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, I dont really have access to any other sources than the DacMagic, DB2 and of course my ipods, PC and such. The Argon has been kicked out and the PB2 stays so far. I found that the balanced out with my IEMs (the only thing i have with balanced cables at the moment) has the ability to make it not sound like a headphone, it removed the very slightly compressed feeling that i find a lot of headphones tend to give after some time, sometimes straight away. I found this by plugging my adapter into the SE out of the amp and then switching quickly between the two, the balanced out just made it a bit more airy and less fatiguing to listen to...

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 13
It is always interesting to perform comparisons, there are surprises to be had.

Just as a check, given your source material and the rest of your set-up are you able to hear the differences between the DacMagic's reconstruction filters? 

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Im pretty clueless as to what that is, or how I would do it? Assuming you mean difference between DacMagic and DB2 i would say, I cant really hear much difference, mind you i will have to get a interconnect from XLR to Hirose to be able to test it with my cans, so thats not concluded yet.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Sorry, I did not mean to be confusing.

All DACs contain a reconstruction filter limiting the analog bandwidth to prevent audio artifacts.  There are different ways to design these filters, each with tradeoffs.

The DacMagic is one of a number of DACs which allow you to choose which filter to employ (see your manual).  Each filter sounds different, but this is subtle.  If you can hear the differences you have a clean, transparent setup - and good ears. :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Heh...What is it with us men and manuals? I'll have to dig deep to find it...Hopefully i will have time to try this tomorrow evening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back