Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,036 of 1,160
  ...got the PK2 DIY I scored a deal on yesterday. Very nicely packaged...little black velvet back, 2 pairs of foamies, and the cable is definitely an upgrade from the stock PK2. Interestingly enough, there is no writing on the shells denoting these are/were PK2...so I suspect they are another animal altogether.

Straight out of the bag and plugged into my X5 and I wasn't too impressed. They sound nice, but don't have the same clarity and reach for bass that my Blox M2C have, or my well-burned in, ancient and trusty genuine PK3 do. There is something restrained/veiled about them.

I left them hooked up to a radio station last night at a mildly unpleasant volume and let them burn in while I slept. Going to have another go at them at work today.

Is this agreed by everyone that Dasetn DIY PK2/PK3 aren't as good as the real thing?
I have also jumped on the 10$ PK2 DIY, had really high hopes for it.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,037 of 1,160
Is this agreed by everyone that Dasetn DIY PK2/PK3 aren't as good as the real thing?

I haven't quite given up on them yet, and bear in mind I do not recall enjoying the original PK2 either. I kind of felt like they were Yuin's version of the Grado SR125i...somewhere in between fun and serious, neither here nor there. I am going to give them a little more time...

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,038 of 1,160
...okay...a night's burn in seemed to help. They have opened up a little. Soundstage is getting better, clarity is improving...that characteristic Yuin bass flavor is still there. Neither offensive nor terribly appealing so far.

I am hoping more time and use/burn-in yields more. At present they are acceptable...

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,039 of 1,160

DIY PK2 sounds great to me but I hate the braided cable. I have not used factory PK2.

DIY PK3 was really bad - nothing like factory PK3 I owned previously. But perhaps I got a defective unit.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,040 of 1,160

DIY PK2 sounds great to me but I hate the braided cable. I have not used factory PK2.

DIY PK3 was really bad - nothing like factory PK3 I owned previously. But perhaps I got a defective unit.

Great, if it sounds as good as the original PK2, it's money well spent.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,041 of 1,160
...they (or my ears) are changing by the hour...at the moment I would say its ten bucks well spent...if the trend continues, it's ten bucks very well spent :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,042 of 1,160
can anybody confirm if this is a legit JL1? 

http://www.buychinatao.com/index.php/taobao/view/id/36588545278#

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,044 of 1,160
Ben, how were you able to verify this? Do you have contact with the seller or any experience with it? Is the JL1 now extinct? 

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,045 of 1,160
  Ben, how were you able to verify this? Do you have contact with the seller or any experience with it? Is the JL1 now extinct? 

TG-JL1 is a collector's item now.

Looks like Tingo's Taobao store rolled back to some earlier copy. Newer listings are gone, and so are the comments.
This is not a real listing.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,046 of 1,160
...okay, the PK2 DIY definitely benefit from time, be it a burn-in or a psycho-acoustics thing.

Left them plugged into a moderately loud radio again last night. They are fuller, richer than my PK3 and more fun than my M2C (2013/2014 edition). They are definite keepers it seems. I actually find myself reaching for them over my Magnum X build, but that could just be new toy syndrome.

All listening was done on a Fiio X5, using FLAC at 16/44. Music varied, from bassier stuff (IDM, Dub, etc) through to classic rock (Hendrix, Floyd, etc), and including lots of Jazz.

Items of note: no identifiers printed on the shells aside from "R" and "L". The shells look like they could be Yuin or perhaps Sunrise minus all printing. One of the two horizontal vents on the back of the shells appears to be blocked. They also feel heavier than the PK3 and the Blox M2C.

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,047 of 1,160

Sorry for the bad photo.

So, this earbud is called MC5. This will be a real quick review.
And please take it with a grain of salt.

-Build Quality:
The build quality on this thing is good, real good. It is made with high quality plastic and feel really nice. It doesn't feel like cheap earbud at all. Although, the cable is just okay and I prefer the higher quality cable like on the TG-38S. It will be cooler if the transparent shell match with silver-ish cable of tingo, rather than red cable.
It has Left Right indentation on the back of the earbud by only the color. Blue dot on the back means it is left. I think it will be better to have the L/R like TG-38S, not my cup of tea. Anyways, it is still well built and will last forever. Comfort-wise, it is about the same size as TG-38S

-Packaging:
It comes with just pouch and couple of foams, enuff said.

-Power, Sensitivity:
To power this bud, it doesn't require much power. In fact, this is like the most sensitive bud i ever tried. plug it in to my smartphone and it is already good enough.

-Sound Quality
All sound impression is done with doughnut foam. Now to the big thing here.

=Overall Presentation
MC5 is a bit dark and warm sounding earbud. It has a real good coherence over all the spectrum. The sound is very soft and relaxing, might as well enjoy this earbud with a cup of hot tea. While being warm, the transparency on this earbud doesn't suffer. Also, the sound feels natural. And the good part is this earbud sound really fun to me and I enjoy this earbud so much that I rather hear this earbud rather than my TG-38S, LCD-2, or even TF10.

=Soundstage and Imaging
It has a wide soundstage. While watching live recording, it makes me think that I am on the very front seat. It is just smaller than TG-38S by a hair margin. The positioning and imaging, I think it is accurate enough on earbud. Not just enough, it is outstanding for an earbud to have this kind of imaging. Instruments are well layered. The downside is, when the music starting to get complex it is more hard to determine what instrument is where. this is the same like any other earbud. Even the so called "almighty legend Yuin PK1" still suffer from this.
Anyways, it did a real good job on Soundstage and Imaging.

=Bass
MC5 have a deep bass and good punch. the decay is good and can handle double bass on metal music. Although, basshead won't be satisfied. The texture of the bass is solid. very solid. and it doesn't cover the midrange. It is still there.

=Midrange
For me, this part is what MC5 excels the most. it has thick, forward lush sounding midrange that really hard to find on any other earbud. This is what makes me like this earbud so much. The guitar solo of Mark Knopfler feel so good. The vocal of Eva Cassidy feels so intimate and sweet. I really like the soft touch of the midrange here.

=Treble
Treble-wise, the treble is present and there. But, not overpowering the overall spectrum. The treble is silky smooth that it doesn't pierce any ears that already tried this bud. Even this dark sounding lover ear(my ear) doesn't feel the treble fatiguing or piercing at all. I can listen to this for days.

=Best Genre
I think the best genre for this earbud is Jazz and classical. It delivers jazz music so soft and relaxing that i want to listen it more and more. Don't get me wrong, but Rock, Metal, Blues, some EDM still sounds good on this earbud but not the best.

VS TINGO TG-38S
The TG-38S have a better, deeper, rock solid bass. TG-38S deliver better bass control better on fast paced music like metal. The thing that TG-38S doesn't have is the thick,lush,weighty midrange and soft, mellow, relaxing sound that you will only get on MC5.
The treble, on both, is very different. TG-38S treble is so pronounced that for couple of people, it feels so overpowering. MC5 otherwise, the treble is there, and feels really smooth that is easy to enjoy. Soundstage, TG-38S is bigger by a hair and deliver live performance better. Also, TG-38S retrieve details more than MC5
Overall SQ, TG-38S wins. But if it comes to jazz, I automatically pick MC5 anywhere, anyday, anywho.

This Earbud is for:
guy who think tg-38s have too much treble. guy who seek good, soft, relaxing, warm sounding earbud. guy who want Jazz sounds real good.

Track used:
-Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
-Eva Cassidy - Wade In the Water
-Daft Punk - Harder,Better,Faster,Stronger
-Stockfish Records Gergely Boganyi - Chopin Nocturne ES-DUR OP9 Nr2
-Avenged Sevenfold - Lost
-Greenday - American Idiot (Bullet in a Bible)
-Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
-B.B. King - The thrill is gone. (Live at Royal Albert Hall 2011)
-Avicii - Wake Me Up
-Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
-Fourplay - Bali Run
-Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
-Johnny Cash - Hurt
All 16/44 wav CDRIP.

Add this to page 1, BenF??

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,048 of 1,160

Sorry for the bad photo.

So, this earbud is called MC5. This will be a real quick review.
And please take it with a grain of salt.

-Build Quality:

The build quality on this thing is good, real good. It is made with high quality plastic and feel really nice. It doesn't feel like cheap earbud at all. Although, the cable is just okay and I prefer the higher quality cable like on the TG-38S. It will be cooler if the transparent shell match with silver-ish cable of tingo, rather than red cable.

It has Left Right indentation on the back of the earbud by only the color. Blue dot on the back means it is left. I think it will be better to have the L/R like TG-38S, not my cup of tea. Anyways, it is still well built and will last forever. Comfort-wise, it is about the same size as TG-38S

-Packaging:

It comes with just pouch and couple of foams, enuff said.

-Power, Sensitivity:

To power this bud, it doesn't require much power. In fact, this is like the most sensitive bud i ever tried. plug it in to my smartphone and it is already good enough.

-Sound Quality

All sound impression is done with doughnut foam. Now to the big thing here.

=Overall Presentation

MC5 is a bit dark and warm sounding earbud. It has a real good coherence over all the spectrum. The sound is very soft and relaxing, might as well enjoy this earbud with a cup of hot tea. While being warm, the transparency on this earbud doesn't suffer. Also, the sound feels natural. And the good part is this earbud sound really fun to me and I enjoy this earbud so much that I rather hear this earbud rather than my TG-38S, LCD-2, or even TF10.

=Soundstage and Imaging

It has a wide soundstage. While watching live recording, it makes me think that I am on the very front seat. It is just smaller than TG-38S by a hair margin. The positioning and imaging, I think it is accurate enough on earbud. Not just enough, it is outstanding for an earbud to have this kind of imaging. Instruments are well layered. The downside is, when the music starting to get complex it is more hard to determine what instrument is where. this is the same like any other earbud. Even the so called "almighty legend Yuin PK1" still suffer from this.

Anyways, it did a real good job on Soundstage and Imaging.

=Bass

MC5 have a deep bass and good punch. the decay is good and can handle double bass on metal music. Although, basshead won't be satisfied. The texture of the bass is solid. very solid. and it doesn't cover the midrange. It is still there.

=Midrange

For me, this part is what MC5 excels the most. it has thick, forward lush sounding midrange that really hard to find on any other earbud. This is what makes me like this earbud so much. The guitar solo of Mark Knopfler feel so good. The vocal of Eva Cassidy feels so intimate and sweet. I really like the soft touch of the midrange here.

=Treble

Treble-wise, the treble is present and there. But, not overpowering the overall spectrum. The treble is silky smooth that it doesn't pierce any ears that already tried this bud. Even this dark sounding lover ear(my ear) doesn't feel the treble fatiguing or piercing at all. I can listen to this for days.

=Best Genre

I think the best genre for this earbud is Jazz and classical. It delivers jazz music so soft and relaxing that i want to listen it more and more. Don't get me wrong, but Rock, Metal, Blues, some EDM still sounds good on this earbud but not the best.

VS TINGO TG-38S

The TG-38S have a better, deeper, rock solid bass. TG-38S deliver better bass control better on fast paced music like metal. The thing that TG-38S doesn't have is the thick,lush,weighty midrange and soft, mellow, relaxing sound that you will only get on MC5.

The treble, on both, is very different. TG-38S treble is so pronounced that for couple of people, it feels so overpowering. MC5 otherwise, the treble is there, and feels really smooth that is easy to enjoy. Soundstage, TG-38S is bigger by a hair and deliver live performance better. Also, TG-38S retrieve details more than MC5

Overall SQ, TG-38S wins. But if it comes to jazz, I automatically pick MC5 anywhere, anyday, anywho.

This Earbud is for:

guy who think tg-38s have too much treble. guy who seek good, soft, relaxing, warm sounding earbud. guy who want Jazz sounds real good.

Track used:

-Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

-Eva Cassidy - Wade In the Water

-Daft Punk - Harder,Better,Faster,Stronger

-Stockfish Records Gergely Boganyi - Chopin Nocturne ES-DUR OP9 Nr2

-Avenged Sevenfold - Lost

-Greenday - American Idiot (Bullet in a Bible)

-Cream - Sunshine of Your Love

-B.B. King - The thrill is gone. (Live at Royal Albert Hall 2011)

-Avicii - Wake Me Up

-Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer

-Fourplay - Bali Run

-Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

-Johnny Cash - Hurt

All 16/44 wav CDRIP.

Add this to page 1, BenF??

Where can one buy MC5 ? Links please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back