Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jun 20, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #901 of 1,160
What is the diference betqeen black cable and red cable? Also how is pk1 fit? Are they smaller and more comfortable than m760?

I got both versions. At first I thought they both sounded excellent & the same. After careful critical listening, I discovered that the black cable version sounded slightly better. Mainly better vocal clarity and warmth. The difference is subtle but there. But I'm not sure if it's due to design or just random due to DIY nature.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #902 of 1,160
I got both versions. At first I thought they both sounded excellent & the same. After careful critical listening, I discovered that the black cable version sounded slightly better. Mainly better vocal clarity and warmth. The difference is subtle but there. But I'm not sure if it's due to design or just random due to DIY nature.

I don't have extensive experience with earbuds but i feel like m760 are quite bassy earbuds. I would prefer less bass since i got used to my tenore :wink: Hopefuly pk1 will be less bassy . m760 are great for edm btw

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #903 of 1,160
I'd like to add my thoughts on a few of these, and For comparison; I own the following buds:

Yuin PK1's,
Yuin PK2's,
Sennheiser MX471's
Sennheiser  MX985's

and the new guys:

Dasetn M760's
Dasetn M1's
Tingo TG38s

The PK3's were my first set, and I appreciated the fit (the Yuin headphones are my favourite fit wise, with a small, subtle body which looks cheap but is intact quite nice and doesn't need foams for a comfortable fit int eh ear. I can sleep with the Yuin's in and wake up with no ear pain). The sound of the Pk3 however, is very mid bass oriented and isn't my favourite, however these are my main pair for anywhere outside of home because of the balance between SQ, Price and Ergonomics. The Yuin packaging is serviceable, with a plethora of foams and a 6.3mm adapter which is nice. The included case is a bit cramped and I'd recommend getting a larger one for both ease of use and the conner of damaging the headphones when putting them in.

The PK2's have a much nicer treble/mid sound to me, and essentially fill in the gaps i heard with the PK3's. However the jack wore out after a few months on my PK2's, so I had to solder on a  new one, somewhat confusingly as the jack on the PK3's are still going strong. Whilst the PK2's perform better than the PK3's, unless you really like the warmth of the Yuin sound, I think hat the better value option is the MX471. Same case/packaging as the PK3's. 

The Sennheiser MX471's are IMO the best value bud on the market right now. They sound clear, crisp and relatively uncoloured, yet posses a hint of warmth which I feel is lost on the higher end MX985's. However, the fit on these is rubbish. Ive tried the foams and they're marginally better, but in my experience the rubber 'donuts' are the best fit for these. The cord is another highlight, as it seems sturdy well made. However, I'm not a fan of the styling, which is a little on the tacky side. I bought mine for $27 AU though, cheaper than even the PK3's and with a Warranty which i might be able to easily use whilst speaking in English! The packaging on these is basic, a plastic blister pack with 2 sets of foams and one rubber donut - thing. The carry case included is a (faux?) leather though, and is a nice addition.

The Sennheiser MX985's are a mixed bag for me. I was excited to get my hands on these, as up until this point I was used to the sub $100 peasant class of earbud. The first impressions of these for me was merely "transparent". By all means these are the most accurate headphones I own, the bass, the mids and the especially the highs shine beautifully. Ive seen these described as "the BMW of the earbud world" and I think this description is apt. They look great, and sound great, but ergonomically were just mediocre for me. They fit my ear pretty well, but the rubber ring that goes around the outside of the speaker broke within 3 months and rendered the left bud scratchy and uncomfortable. Ive since sent them back for warranty, but the company i bought them from (Accessory Jack) is in HK and Im expecting at least another month before I get them back. IMO these headphones aren't high enough above the 471's to be the price of 5 of them. 
The packaging on these is quite nice, and they include an aeroplane adapter and a bunch of foams/extra goodies. The carrying case is OK but I still prefer the basic clamshell you get with many Chinese buds.

Now, onto the new guys:

The Dasetn M1's are the most neatly packaged of the bunch, with the silver box and blue colour giving off an air of quality. This ends relatively quickly once you begin to use them. I found the sound to be mediocre, (similar to the PK3), with a slightly muffled (some may describe it was warm) sound which is mid oriented. These are overall alright, but not phenomenal buds. I found the fit to be mediocre, but improved to a decent level with foams. The sound as mentioned before is mid oriented, with a close, Yuin style soundstage and weak treble and bass response. Overall, useable for spares but not worthy of being a main set. I tried these with some piano oriented tracks (eg. Mika's "Grace Kelly", the piano came out crisp and the vocals are smooth. This track does shine on this set) and whilst the close soundstage and mids did work well with piano sound, I don't feel this is enough to redeem their other failings.

The Dasetn M760's are certainly better than the M1's, but still only marginally so. The soundstage is very similar, and the Mid oriented sound remains, however the treble on these cuts through slightly better and the cable (red) is nicer. However, I could only get the light brown/tan case which is utterly hideous and doesn't fit the cable at all. These also came in a bag instead of the nice metal case of the M1's, and aren't exceptional either really. I wouldn't bother wight the M1's or these.

The Tingo's on the other hand, are the exact opposite. The mids are slightly recessed, whilst the Bass and Treble are brought forward in the mix. As somebody mentioned earlier, the Treble is so powerful on these I sometime found it overwhelming, but overall the sound on these was preferable to the Dasetn's. The soundstage also feels bigger (however it still pales in comparison to the Senn's and is inline with the PK3's. Ive been using the foams on all the new buds as the shape of the body is harsh and geometric and not nice on the ear. The packaging for these isn't worth much mention, but at least they come with a case.

(tldr) I'd recommend anyone thinking about buying new earbuds only bother with the Tingo's for the Chinese brands, the MX471's for the Senn's and the PK2's for the Yuin's. (I haven't tried the PK1's, however I'm not sure the leap would be as large as you would hope, similar to the gap between the Senn 471's and the 985's)

Other notes: 

-My major reference song for the testing of these buds was a lossless CD rip of "Little Secrets" by Passion Pit (as well as an assortment of other contemporary music). I have 1300 plays on this song alone in my iTunes library, and know it like the back of my hand. It has good examples of highs, extreme lows and swelling mids in the verses, as well as clear, modern studio vocals which give a good idea of clarity. I use this song also because played in the wrong headphones, the Sine waves can sound clinical and cold, and make the nature of the speaker immediately obvious. 

-I have been driving all the headsets WITHOUT an amp, using my Macbook Pro primarily and occasionally an iPhone 5c. 

Sorry for the long post all. I hope this helps some people out there like me who where struggling with making a few of these purchasing decisions. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #904 of 1,160
  I'd like to add my thoughts on a few of these, and For comparison; I own the following buds:

Yuin PK1's,
Yuin PK2's,
Sennheiser MX471's
Sennheiser  MX985's

and the new guys:

Dasetn M760's
Dasetn M1's
Tingo TG38s

The PK3's were my first set, and I appreciated the fit (the Yuin headphones are my favourite fit wise, with a small, subtle body which looks cheap but is intact quite nice and doesn't need foams for a comfortable fit int eh ear. I can sleep with the Yuin's in and wake up with no ear pain). The sound of the Pk3 however, is very mid bass oriented and isn't my favourite, however these are my main pair for anywhere outside of home because of the balance between SQ, Price and Ergonomics. The Yuin packaging is serviceable, with a plethora of foams and a 6.3mm adapter which is nice. The included case is a bit cramped and I'd recommend getting a larger one for both ease of use and the conner of damaging the headphones when putting them in.

The PK2's have a much nicer treble/mid sound to me, and essentially fill in the gaps i heard with the PK3's. However the jack wore out after a few months on my PK2's, so I had to solder on a  new one, somewhat confusingly as the jack on the PK3's are still going strong. Whilst the PK2's perform better than the PK3's, unless you really like the warmth of the Yuin sound, I think hat the better value option is the MX471. Same case/packaging as the PK3's. 

The Sennheiser MX471's are IMO the best value bud on the market right now. They sound clear, crisp and relatively uncoloured, yet posses a hint of warmth which I feel is lost on the higher end MX985's. However, the fit on these is rubbish. Ive tried the foams and they're marginally better, but in my experience the rubber 'donuts' are the best fit for these. The cord is another highlight, as it seems sturdy well made. However, I'm not a fan of the styling, which is a little on the tacky side. I bought mine for $27 AU though, cheaper than even the PK3's and with a Warranty which i might be able to easily use whilst speaking in English! The packaging on these is basic, a plastic blister pack with 2 sets of foams and one rubber donut - thing. The carry case included is a (faux?) leather though, and is a nice addition.

The Sennheiser MX985's are a mixed bag for me. I was excited to get my hands on these, as up until this point I was used to the sub $100 peasant class of earbud. The first impressions of these for me was merely "transparent". By all means these are the most accurate headphones I own, the bass, the mids and the especially the highs shine beautifully. Ive seen these described as "the BMW of the earbud world" and I think this description is apt. They look great, and sound great, but ergonomically were just mediocre for me. They fit my ear pretty well, but the rubber ring that goes around the outside of the speaker broke within 3 months and rendered the left bud scratchy and uncomfortable. Ive since sent them back for warranty, but the company i bought them from (Accessory Jack) is in HK and Im expecting at least another month before I get them back. IMO these headphones aren't high enough above the 471's to be the price of 5 of them. 
The packaging on these is quite nice, and they include an aeroplane adapter and a bunch of foams/extra goodies. The carrying case is OK but I still prefer the basic clamshell you get with many Chinese buds.

Now, onto the new guys:

The Dasetn M1's are the most neatly packaged of the bunch, with the silver box and blue colour giving off an air of quality. This ends relatively quickly once you begin to use them. I found the sound to be mediocre, (similar to the PK3), with a slightly muffled (some may describe it was warm) sound which is mid oriented. These are overall alright, but not phenomenal buds. I found the fit to be mediocre, but improved to a decent level with foams. The sound as mentioned before is mid oriented, with a close, Yuin style soundstage and weak treble and bass response. Overall, useable for spares but not worthy of being a main set. I tried these with some piano oriented tracks (eg. Mika's "Grace Kelly", the piano came out crisp and the vocals are smooth. This track does shine on this set) and whilst the close soundstage and mids did work well with piano sound, I don't feel this is enough to redeem their other failings.

The Dasetn M760's are certainly better than the M1's, but still only marginally so. The soundstage is very similar, and the Mid oriented sound remains, however the treble on these cuts through slightly better and the cable (red) is nicer. However, I could only get the light brown/tan case which is utterly hideous and doesn't fit the cable at all. These also came in a bag instead of the nice metal case of the M1's, and aren't exceptional either really. I wouldn't bother wight the M1's or these.

The Tingo's on the other hand, are the exact opposite. The mids are slightly recessed, whilst the Bass and Treble are brought forward in the mix. As somebody mentioned earlier, the Treble is so powerful on these I sometime found it overwhelming, but overall the sound on these was preferable to the Dasetn's. The soundstage also feels bigger (however it still pales in comparison to the Senn's and is inline with the PK3's. Ive been using the foams on all the new buds as the shape of the body is harsh and geometric and not nice on the ear. The packaging for these isn't worth much mention, but at least they come with a case.

(tldr) I'd recommend anyone thinking about buying new earbuds only bother with the Tingo's for the Chinese brands, the MX471's for the Senn's and the PK2's for the Yuin's. (I haven't tried the PK1's, however I'm not sure the leap would be as large as you would hope, similar to the gap between the Senn 471's and the 985's)

Other notes: 

-My major reference song for the testing of these buds was a lossless CD rip of "Little Secrets" by Passion Pit (as well as an assortment of other contemporary music). I have 1300 plays on this song alone in my iTunes library, and know it like the back of my hand. It has good examples of highs, extreme lows and swelling mids in the verses, as well as clear, modern studio vocals which give a good idea of clarity. I use this song also because played in the wrong headphones, the Sine waves can sound clinical and cold, and make the nature of the speaker immediately obvious. 

-I have been driving all the headsets WITHOUT an amp, using my Macbook Pro primarily and occasionally an iPhone 5c. 

Sorry for the long post all. I hope this helps some people out there like me who where struggling with making a few of these purchasing decisions. 

nice comparison, but what im lacking here is the  "high tier" comparison between BLOX and  mx985 , other than that good job :D

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #905 of 1,160
I m also interested for comparison between mx985, blox be5 and pk1

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #906 of 1,160
Another follow-up to my experiences so far after another couple of earbuds arrived in the post: Blue Ever Blue 328R and Awei ES10. To put it briefly, I didn't enjoy these earbuds as they have a remarkable level of top-end filtering going on. This may be a taste thing as I enjoy high-end detail a lot - maybe the sound of these could be described as 'smooth'. The bass seems pretty nice on the 328R. Either way they are not my thing and I'll be selling them. Feel free to PM me if interested (I'm in the UK).

I'm loving the Baldoor Earbells more and more - I just tried them with 2 foams - this improved the fit which was a little loose for me and improved isolation. It also felt like it balanced the treble a little more - this might be something to try in general with buds that people find too heavy in treble.

Still waiting for the TG-38S from Dasetn.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #907 of 1,160
Every time I see Awei my brain thinks Aiwa, and I momentarily get excited (I remember enjoying some of their equipment when I was younger, wasn't anything fantastic, but I liked it nonetheless.)  I even like my earclip from Aiwa, having an enjoyable sound for the $6 I paid.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #908 of 1,160
I've owned the OMX980, which are identical in sound to the MX980 and MX985 (correct me if I'm wrong) but have earhooks like the B&O EarSet 3i.

I liked them a lot, especially the mid to lower highs, but don't buy them expecting improved bass as I've seen people ask here. To my mind they're like an improved version of the Dasetn M1 or Yuin PK2  - a leaner, balanced kind of sound signature and very different to the warmer PK1 or Blox ANV3. The bass is fast and detailed but isn't necessarily suited for bass-oriented music.

I'd definitely recommend them, but not for the price - I sold them a while back and have not really missed them. Obviously the great thing about them is their build quality, which no other earbuds in the conversation can match. If you want to test the water before spending money on the MX985 I'd try out the Baldoor earbuds first. So far they remind me a lot of the OMX980 (don't quote me on this similarity though because I sold the OMX980 a year ago)..

They sound exactly like I hoped the Tingo's would from the impressions - they're very clear but without the artificial and exaggerated bass and highs of the TG-38S.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #909 of 1,160
  Another follow-up to my experiences so far after another couple of earbuds arrived in the post: Blue Ever Blue 328R and Awei ES10. To put it briefly, I didn't enjoy these earbuds as they have a remarkable level of top-end filtering going on. This may be a taste thing as I enjoy high-end detail a lot - maybe the sound of these could be described as 'smooth'. The bass seems pretty nice on the 328R. Either way they are not my thing and I'll be selling them. Feel free to PM me if interested (I'm in the UK).

I'm loving the Baldoor Earbells more and more - I just tried them with 2 foams - this improved the fit which was a little loose for me and improved isolation. It also felt like it balanced the treble a little more - this might be something to try in general with buds that people find too heavy in treble.

Still waiting for the TG-38S from Dasetn.

Do you mean you put 2 foams on top of each other? Did you put a full one on top of the doughnut one?

I wouldn't rule out that Baldoor took the PK1's driver, lowered its impedance and shoved it into the EarBell.
They sound way too much the same. PK1 has just a bit more clarity (on a level with TG-JL1), but EarBell has more bass due to tighter fit.
I spend most of my time listening to them, too afraid to use TG-JL1, since it became a collector's item.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #910 of 1,160

Do you mean you put 2 foams on top of each other? Did you put a full one on top of the doughnut one?

2 full foams on top of each other.

edit- you could be right about Yuin drivers being used for these. I managed to get my Dasetn modded PK2's into half-usable condition again and did a brief comparison. The PK2 sounded a tiny bit more balanced but it's really really close. The Baldoor sounds slightly more open in the top end and higher mids. Plus the imaging seems more wide and they are a bit louder - all of these things could come down to impedance differences imho.

Either way, thank you for the heads-up on these, they're very enjoyable to listen to.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #911 of 1,160

2 full foams on top of each other.

edit- you could be right about Yuin drivers being used for these. I managed to get my Dasetn modded PK2's into half-usable condition again and did a brief comparison. The PK2 sounded a tiny bit more balanced but it's really really close. The Baldoor sounds slightly more open in the top end and higher mids. Plus the imaging seems more wide and they are a bit louder - all of these things could come down to impedance differences imho.

Either way, thank you for the heads-up on these, they're very enjoyable to listen to.

You are welcome!

Are you trying to point them towards the ear canal or are you just placing them in the ear parallel to head?
I barely manage to tilt them a little toward the ear canal with one foam installed, the second foam may be preventing you from a better positioning.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #914 of 1,160
  At dasetn?

Are you sure? I never saw M760 for $15 there. For $15 just the M1.

You are right, my mistake
biggrin.gif

Got too used to great earbuds around 15$.

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #915 of 1,160

I found tg-jl1 at buychinatao. Is it the real thing or will i get another model due to not in stock?

I wouldn't rule out that Baldoor took the PK1's driver, lowered its impedance and shoved it into the EarBell.
They sound way too much the same. PK1 has just a bit more clarity (on a level with TG-JL1), but EarBell has more bass due to tighter fit.
I spend most of my time listening to them, too afraid to use TG-JL1, since it became a collector's item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back