Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jun 11, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #766 of 1,160
The  Denon AH-D1001k use the same drivers as the Creative Aurvana Live and Live 2. Although I have never tried any of these models, they get rave reviews all over head-fi. They are rated better than the Superlux HD668B drivers that I use to drive my cans. The cans simply just sound better than any earbud (or IEM) that I've tried. Since the drivers are 50mm compared to the max for a bud which is under 20mm. It's no wonder that the cans have clearer and more defined bass (as well as a smoothness is the mids and highs). However, wearing any type of cans to the gym is impractical. It's also not expected that a live performer use cans on stage (except for maybe drummers). The buds definately have a place in my collection, although I have come to accept that they will never sound as good as my cans.

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #767 of 1,160
  The  Denon AH-D1001k use the same drivers as the Creative Aurvana Live and Live 2. Although I have never tried any of these models, they get rave reviews all over head-fi. They are rated better than the Superlux HD668B drivers that I use to drive my cans. The cans simply just sound better than any earbud (or IEM) that I've tried. Since the drivers are 50mm compared to the max for a bud which is under 20mm. It's no wonder that the cans have clearer and more defined bass (as well as a smoothness is the mids and highs). However, wearing any type of cans to the gym is impractical. It's also not expected that a live performer use cans on stage (except for maybe drummers). The buds definately have a place in my collection, although I have come to accept that they will never sound as good as my cans.

I use the Denon D2000/D5000 for reference and those things churn out really thick juicy bass compared to buds. You are right, buds won't ever sound as good as the mid-hi fi cans on the market, but they are just too comfortable and practical to not have a couple quality buds in the drawer or back pocket. I really hope HiFi man hits a homerun with their buds because I am a bit tired of the high end earbud world topping out at $30 DIY buds and $100 Blox buds. I am sure if a company such as hifiman or audeze took buds seriously and brought out a $300-$500 bud, it would pique interest. But then again, at that point, it might defeat the point of using them over cans (namely their cheap disposablility).  

EDIT:

I found some cool stuff online. Is this the source of where Dasetn and other distributors get their materials? 

AP8: http://www.idealmalls.com/taobao/view/id/16171888129
MX760 (exactly same price as Dasetn's site): http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=20276344892
MX760 drivers in bulk: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.123.6KiPDy&id=39300831409&ns=1#detail

There's other good stuff too like the M1s and some other headphones described as "female bass full stretch phone generic drug earbuds." O_O 
Dasetn's site is still cheapest for the MX760 so I'd still recommend buying from him for those things. He seems very reliable at least for my orders. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #769 of 1,160
The 38s are more clear in the mids and especially highs than the anv3. However the anv3 has much much more bass weight. The anv3 can be a bit unbalanced towards the lower regions, making it sound dark. If you want more balance with still good bass the be5 does a better job. Although I cannot say that I prefer the anv3 over the be5 or visa versa, I like them both so far for different reasons. Overall mids and highs of the 38s or the tc100 are very clear and transparent, the only other bud that I have that comes close to this is the mx985, however the mx985 has better bass than the 38s and has a less direct sound. But that's is comparing an $90 bud with an $15 bud. The 38s does what it does very good, nothing wrong with the sound quality, it's just lacking in bass quantity.

Where did you see MX985 for 90$? Because I'm definitely buying at this price.
It's 250$ on Amazon.com, varied from 120$ to 170$ on Amazon.co.uk (unavailable now), 150$ on eBay, 116$ on AccessoryJack (105$ +11$).
If the only thing that this 100$+ earbud does better than TG-38S is the bass, then TG-38S is an amazing value.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #770 of 1,160
... Definately a good quality bud - just don't expect it to sound like full-sized cans costing 10x more. If you want the sound of Creative Aurvana Live!, you won't get that in any of these buds. Switching from cans immediately to the TIngo's makes the Tingo's sound like crap - but after a while, the Tingo's sound better on their own, once my brain has forgotten what the cans sound like. I do have to switch because my ears get fatigued from using the same head-gear - so buds to cans to buds to cans I keep rotating.

Even when I switch from HE-400 to FAD Heaven VI, the IEM sounds crappy until the brain adjusts to the different way the sonic information is presented.
Same problem switching the other way around.
This is not an indication of what is better.

I haven't used my big cans (HE-400, AD900X) in over a month, spending most of the time with TG-38S, TG-JL1 and Baldoor EarBell.
Even Heaven VI doesn't get much play time anymore - and I paid 500$ for it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #771 of 1,160

Denon AH-D1001 and CAL! do have a very boosted bass - no earbud ever will have bass like that, due to lack of seal.
Anyone who is looking for this level of bass, should stop looking at earbuds.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #772 of 1,160
  I use the Denon D2000/D5000 for reference and those things churn out really thick juicy bass compared to buds. You are right, buds won't ever sound as good as the mid-hi fi cans on the market, but they are just too comfortable and practical to not have a couple quality buds in the drawer or back pocket. I really hope HiFi man hits a homerun with their buds because I am a bit tired of the high end earbud world topping out at $30 DIY buds and $100 Blox buds. I am sure if a company such as hifiman or audeze took buds seriously and brought out a $300-$500 bud, it would pique interest. But then again, at that point, it might defeat the point of using them over cans (namely their cheap disposablility).  

Would it really enhance your listening pleasure if you would have paid 300$ instead of 15$ for TG-38S?

I doubt Hifiman's earbud would be any better or possibly even as good as TG-JL1 or Baldoor EarBell (assuming they'll go for the balanced signature).

You have to disconnect from the price and just treat every headphone for what it is.
I feed my 15-30$ earbuds through the same 500$ audio chain as the 500$ headphones, and the results are great.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #773 of 1,160
Keep in mind that when I use buds, I use covers on them - so there is a seal. It's not the lack of a seal that doesn't give me the bass of cans - it's the size of the driver, magnet, and coils. A 50mm driver is just going to have more surface area, a larger and more poweful magnet, and also more length in the voice coil. It is inherently easier for a 50mm driver to push more air than a 20mm - all things being equal. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #774 of 1,160
  Keep in mind that when I use buds, I use covers on them - so there is a seal. It's not the lack of a seal that doesn't give me the bass of cans - it's the size of the driver, magnet, and coils. A 50mm driver is just going to have more surface area, a larger and more poweful magnet, and also more length in the voice coil. It is inherently easier for a 50mm driver to push more air than a 20mm - all things being equal. 

When you are using these covers, you are dramatically changing the sound.
Why not just use IEMs - e.g. Pistons?

The size of the driver isn't really that important when it's so close to your ear canal.
Piston has a small driver, but gives a great bass.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #775 of 1,160

If the only thing that this 100$+ earbud does better than TG-38S is the bass, then TG-38S is an amazing value.

maybe its easy to say" if the ONLY thing better is the bass" is easy and seems insignificant, but this"extra bass" this plays a huge role for the listening experience,so YES i guess it does worth the price.

Even when I switch from HE-400 to FAD Heaven VI, the IEM sounds crappy until the brain adjusts to the different way the sonic information is presented.
Same problem switching the other way around.
This is not an indication of what is better.

i compared the 38S with my blox ANV3se which i  barely use.  the past few weeks ive been listening to the TG38s quite regulary and when switching to blox, the blox sounded weird for some time, but quite fast i got used to them.
hen trying it the other way around listening to BLOX for a long time and switching to the 38S, they just sound bad to me, even if i was waiting for very long time..  i cannot enjoy listening to them.

You have to disconnect from the price and just treat every headphone for what it is.

boy i tried... i was really hoping for that to work, i even tried to fool myself in order for make that work, who doesnt want to find a cheap perl and sell his expensive gear, right?

on a side note, we all heard u like them and praise them, thats your deal, but i really dont understand why your trying to convince others to do so as well. different people have different preferences, thats just how i see it from a thinrd persons point of view,
no harm intended.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #776 of 1,160
  maybe its easy to say" if the ONLY thing better is the bass" is easy and seems insignificant, but this"extra bass" this plays a huge role for the listening experience,so YES i guess it does worth the price.

if extra bass is what you need, a simple bass boost on E12 or good SW equalizer will give you that.
Quality of the bass on TG-38S is great.

...i compared the 38S with my blox ANV3se which i  barely use.  the past few weeks ive been listening to the TG38s quite regulary and when switching to blox, the blox sounded weird for some time, but quite fast i got used to them. hen trying it the other way around listening to BLOX for a long time and switching to the 38S, they just sound bad to me, even if i was waiting for very long time..  i cannot enjoy listening to them.

ANV3SE is quite veiled compared to TG-38S, so it is a much easier transition. When moving in the other direction, the brain will take a while to get used to the extensions on both ends, especially treble.

... boy i tried... i was really hoping for that to work, i even tried to fool myself in order for make that work, who doesnt want to find a cheap perl and sell his expensive gear, right?

I am not selling any of my 300-500 headphones, no matter how much I like the Tingos and the Baldoor.

... on a side note, we all heard u like them and praise them, thats your deal, but i really dont understand why your trying to convince others to do so as well. different people have different preferences, thats just how i see it from a thinrd persons point of view,
no harm intended.

Why does anybody start a review/impressions thread here? Do you think everyone is trying to force you to like things?
Most people seemed to like them, only very few had negative impressions.
And they might have been a victim of a bad pair, see here for an example http://www.head-fi.org/t/711844/dasetn-tingo-baldoor-earbuds-reviews-and-impressions/720#post_10622583
If you don't like them and think you have exhausted all the possibilities to hear what the others hear, you should move on to the next headphone.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #777 of 1,160
The bass "quality" of the TG-38s is not fine. It is adequate. The reason why I say this is because it makes all bass guitars sound the same. Quality bass would make it easy to tell if the bass guitarist used a Fender Precision, OLP MM, Double Bass, Gibson SG, Ibanez IcePaul etc. TG-38s makes all the bass notes sound the same.

The reason why I don't use EQ is because it introduces phase distortion. A boost or cut in frequency using EQ is not just introducing a volume change of the selected frequency - but it is also changing the time of arrival at your ear. Wanting more bass is not just a matter of boosting with an EQ - unless you don't care about phase distortion. It comes across as a "smearing" to me. However, some people do not perceive this phase distortion, and for those people EQ works fine, but not with me.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #778 of 1,160
The reason why I use covers instead of buying IEMS is because I have bought IEMs - some that use TWFK - and these $15 earbuds with covers sound better than the $150 IEMs. I actually did address this earlier in this thread. I think it is better to pay $15 and use covers and get a better sound rather than spend $150 for IEMs that do not sound as good. I can understand that some people want to spend $150 for something that sounds worse than $15, but I'd rather buy the better sounding $15 part, put a cover on it, and use the rest of the money for something else.

The size of the driver is important! If all things are equal - ie distance to ear canal, membrane material - the larger driver is able to have a larger magnetic field - and the increased surface area of the membrane is easier to drive at lower frequencies. It is the laws of physics. Something that is 10mm is going to more difficult to drive at lower frequencies than 50mm. The increased surface area of the larger membrane is going to move more air than something made out the same material but is 400% smaller. It is true that the closer it is to your ear canal, the less the size matters. But it still matters a lot, and to say it doesn't matter is just plain wrong!!!!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #779 of 1,160
  The reason why I use covers instead of buying IEMS is because I have bought IEMs - some that use TWFK - and these $15 earbuds with covers sound better than the $150 IEMs. I actually did address this earlier in this thread. I think it is better to pay $15 and use covers and get a better sound rather than spend $150 for IEMs that do not sound as good. I can understand that some people want to spend $150 for something that sounds worse than $15, but I'd rather buy the better sounding $15 part, put a cover on it, and use the rest of the money for something else.

The size of the driver is important! If all things are equal - ie distance to ear canal, membrane material - the larger driver is able to have a larger magnetic field - and the increased surface area of the membrane is easier to drive at lower frequencies. It is the laws of physics. Something that is 10mm is going to more difficult to drive at lower frequencies than 50mm. The increased surface area of the larger membrane is going to move more air than something made out the same material but is 400% smaller. It is true that the closer it is to your ear canal, the less the size matters. But it still matters a lot, and to say it doesn't matter is just plain wrong!!!!!

mtliu is that the modded M760 in your avatar? If so, shouldn't you change your avatar to the tingos :wink: 

If you want more bass try taping up all the top and middle holes of the tingos and leave only the lower holes that make a straight line to your eardrums. It helps and doesn't distort any other part of the sound. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #780 of 1,160
i will be selling my TG 38S pair, this type of sound is not for me, though i do like the cable quality very much! price will be the same as i paid, 16usd nut including shipping item location germany , no its most probably to be much faster than aliexpress or dasetn. ill open a classified later, feel free to pm me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back